What's new

Future of vaping and Retail Shops.

BSV

What's everyones opinion on the future of vaping within retail stores?

Do you think the target market is sub ohm vapers or MTL or pod systems?

What sort of price should a retail store be aiming to sell 50ml of liquid for?

Anyone with a shop on here got any advice in regards to sustaining a busy shop, what products are looking to be the most popular?

basically after advice.

cheers in advance!

Now this is a minefield.

MTL is 90% of the market, probably 70-75% of our sales are MTL. They're normal guys and girls off the street who want to quit smoking.

Price on liquid depends on the store you do have overheads.

My advice is, if you want to go high end go high end, if you want to go cheap go cheap.

Aspire Pockex is our bread and butter, it's a cheap starter kit.

Regarding pricing, we watch and price match the big online stores. (We have overheads, we cannot match the cheap online one man bands).

We went high end, ie yes our liquids aren't cheap. The retail on them isn't cheap, the cost to us isn't cheap. We seriously will not go within 10 feet of an IP theft brand, or "cheap" branding.

Our customers know we're more expensive than other local shops who sell 120ml for £15. However, they've all said also, they like our ranges and you can tell they've had thought going into them. We trial themselves between staff, we vote. If I say yes and 2 staff say no. We don't stock it, regardless of me being the manager. Your guys need to be enthusiastic and like a brand to sell it.

Same as we also check our shortfill either has a 10ml TPD compliant version or an MSDS report to comply with the general product safety regulations. Although nobody enforces it.

Last, but not least. Staff, staff are the make or break of a business imo.

I manage a B&M, the lads I work with are great. In the vape industry (here anyway) we see staff moving around shop to shop, they have poor retention on staff.

You want good staff and to keep them, so give them benefits, praise ect make them know they're appreciated.

If you have staff who build a rapport with customers, know what they're doing behind the counter and know the customers by name. You have customers for life and a great reputation.

For example, I have 2 Bosses. They don't treat me like an employee. They're more friends, we'll go and have a beer or go for a meal. Treat your staff how you'd like to be treated. Now there's a downside to this, some will slack because you're "friends", that's when you need to put your boss hat on.

Ps we also have all our liquids available to test in separate tanks. It's expensive upkeeping and outlaying for them, but it'll make your customers appreciate trying it first.

You sell them a liquid going this is great and they think it's shit. They're not going to stay a customer.

We say it's great, tell them to try it. They dislike it, they move onto another juice. But they're happy they've not just spent money on something they bought blind and disliked.

you got / getting a shop ?
got a shop mate, been doing great since opening but last couple weeks noticed a little dip and thought Id be pro-active in figuring out what may be the cause of it etc.

Now this is a minefield.

MTL is 90% of the market, probably 70-75% of our sales are MTL. They're normal guys and girls off the street who want to quit smoking.

Price on liquid depends on the store you do have overheads.

My advice is, if you want to go high end go high end, if you want to go cheap go cheap.

Aspire Pockex is our bread and butter, it's a cheap starter kit.

Regarding pricing, we watch and price match the big online stores. (We have overheads, we cannot match the cheap online one man bands).

We went high end, ie yes our liquids aren't cheap. The retail on them isn't cheap, the cost to us isn't cheap. We seriously will not go within 10 feet of an IP theft brand, or "cheap" branding.

Our customers know we're more expensive than other local shops who sell 120ml for £15. However, they've all said also, they like our ranges and you can tell they've had thought going into them. We trial themselves between staff, we vote. If I say yes and 2 staff say no. We don't stock it, regardless of me being the manager. Your guys need to be enthusiastic and like a brand to sell it.

Same as we also check our shortfill either has a 10ml TPD compliant version or an MSDS report to comply with the general product safety regulations. Although nobody enforces it.

Last, but not least. Staff, staff are the make or break of a business imo.

I manage a B&M, the lads I work with are great. In the vape industry (here anyway) we see staff moving around shop to shop, they have poor retention on staff.

You want good staff and to keep them, so give them benefits, praise ect make them know they're appreciated.

If you have staff who build a rapport with customers, know what they're doing behind the counter and know the customers by name. You have customers for life and a great reputation.

For example, I have 2 Bosses. They don't treat me like an employee. They're more friends, we'll go and have a beer or go for a meal. Treat your staff how you'd like to be treated. Now there's a downside to this, some will slack because you're "friends", that's when you need to put your boss hat on.

Ps we also have all our liquids available to test in separate tanks. It's expensive upkeeping and outlaying for them, but it'll make your customers appreciate trying it first.

You sell them a liquid going this is great and they think it's shit. They're not going to stay a customer.

We say it's great, tell them to try it. They dislike it, they move onto another juice. But they're happy they've not just spent money on something they bought blind and disliked.

Completely agree on some points. We don't cater enough for MTL customers at all at my shop, just started stocking the Vandy Vape Beserker so we shall see how that goes, going to start punting salts quite heavily. I would disagree about aspires pockex I thought it was a horrible vape! although as said I don't really sell much MTL set ups.

Increasing my MTL range and nicotine salts is probably the next step.

Whats your opinion on pod systems and what sort of marketing impacts have you guys done that you noticed the biggest difference with?

I dont run a shop, dont go into shop as I make my own juice - my local vape shop has started making own juice , there will be an outlay but bigger profits if you get it right ? that might be worth a try.
when i first wanted to quit i would not touch a pen type and to me the pod system looks similar. Why ? as a heavy smoker i wanted something to last and not run out in the middle of the night or at weekends. Now I have quit they may work fine. Has anybody quit using a pod system ?

I dont run a shop, dont go into shop as I make my own juice - my local vape shop has started making own juice , there will be an outlay but bigger profits if you get it right ? that might be worth a try.
when i first wanted to quit i would not touch a pen type and to me the pod system looks similar. Why ? as a heavy smoker i wanted something to last and not run out in the middle of the night or at weekends. Now I have quit they may work fine. Has anybody quit using a pod system ?

That's my problem I can't really see the benefits of MTL pens over sub ohm vapes because I stopped smoking using a sub ohm vape. The problem is MTL users do dominate the market, would be interested to see if they dominate the market in regards to money spent, I highly doubt it.

Completely agree on some points. We don't cater enough for MTL customers at all at my shop, just started stocking the Vandy Vape Beserker so we shall see how that goes, going to start punting salts quite heavily. I would disagree about aspires pockex I thought it was a horrible vape! although as said I don't really sell much MTL set ups.

Increasing my MTL range and nicotine salts is probably the next step.

Whats your opinion on pod systems and what sort of marketing impacts have you guys done that you noticed the biggest difference with?
We don't do marketing tbh, our reputation is what pushes us forward. Majority of our customers are word of mouth.

We opened 3 years ago, down the road from us around 1.2miles away there's 10 bloody shops within 3 streets of each other now. There wasn't any when we opened.

The reason customers still come to us, even though they live in that area is our staff.

Pod systems for us haven't taken off until recently.

The Zeltu is an excellent pod system it looks and feels quality with a good spec to match. If you're going to look at a RTA MTL tank, forget the Berserker unless it's the Mini version. The Chuthulu is a far superior RTA for MTL and can be purchased wholesale cheaper.

We have around 40-45 MTL liquids in store. From TheAceOfVapes to Manabush.

We listen to our customers and will stock things for them, it's a headache at times stocking one set of coils for one customer but it keeps them coming back because we went the extra mile.

Since we stocked those coils for a customer, we have had influxes of customers from other shops who needed the same coil. It's a device we never stocked.

Don't go too nuts on MTL systems, your customer off the street is looking to stop smoking. Too many choices of starter kits for them can be daunting and scare them away.

It's no secret MTL users don't guzzle juice and make the till system ring.

But thats still a potential income for the business that's not been tapped into. Sure, it may only be £500-1000 extra a month, but it's still more.

Cater for everybody, be they a £10 customer a week or a £10 customer a day.

Ps. If you get your customers to move over to rebuildables please share how lol.

I've tried for a couple of years and only a handful who didn't already rebuild have started to. That's something I want to improve.

Back
Top Bottom