What's new

Fake VTC5A Alert - Intercepted by Fogstar. (Not sold by Fogstar)

Ben fogstar

Premium Vendor
I'd like to stress, we have not sold these cells. However, we did intercept them from a very popular wholesaler who i'd like to keep anonymous. I fully believe this was a mistake, and that the wholesaler in question was also duped.

We received these Friday, and within an hour they were confirmed as fake. These were not sold by us, they did not pass the first of our checks (which is a visual check). An email was sent to the wholesaler they have been confirmed fake and a recall has been issued today. I have also sent an email around the other popular battery vendors.

Please check your cells, Sony cells should not have an adhesive insulator.

DSCF3574.jpg

I'm over the moon that the checks we have in place have finally proved useful haha!

Take care apes!

Edit - I don't know how many of these are in the UK - thousands, hundreds or none :)

And now when I get home I will have to check the VTC5a's I bought from another leading vendor a couple of weeks ago when you were out of stock.

Can we tell without destroying the wrap?

There's a few differences. Nobody has been able to replicate Sony's wrap 'texture' yet - It should be like a silk, but this one is a gloss.

The insulator is also glossy on Sony's - not matt like this one.

They are also in the style of previous Sony's and only have one top cap ring, whereas the new Sony's have the double ring at the top of the cell since the tooling change.

It was only a matter of time I guess with them being such a popular cell.

Any idea what cells they are @Ben fogstar ? ..... I guess they are only going to be 20A CDR which could be a big problem if people are pushing them thinking they are 25A.

There's a few differences. Nobody has been able to replicate Sony's wrap 'texture' yet - It should be like a silk, but this one is a gloss.

The insulator is also glossy on Sony's - not matt like this one.

They are also in the style of previous Sony's and only have one top cap ring, whereas the new Sony's have the double ring at the top of the cell since the tooling change.

That satin, semi opaque, slightly iridescent finish to the wrap is one of the reasons I always feel a little more comfortable buying Sony's. Is the print on the wrap rather than the cell too?

It was only a matter of time I guess with them being such a popular cell.

Any idea what cells they are @Ben fogstar ? ..... I guess they are only going to be 20A CDR which could be a big problem if people are pushing them thinking they are 25A.
I believe they tested at 20A & 2100mAh - a fairly decent performing cell. I'm going to run them through again later and have a look. Always good practice for me to mess about!

That satin, semi opaque, slightly iridescent finish to the wrap is one of the reasons I always feel a little more comfortable buying Sony's. Is the print on the wrap rather than the cell too?
Print is also on the cell

Back
Top Bottom