What's new

Oddy Clones and Clones In General

You say that about sigelei ... and smok .. but both companies have bought out products in their own right

The Sig zMax for example .. while not of the quality perhaps of a provari (tho not a million miles away) has more features ... features that are not available on the Provari ... is that a provari clone ? or is it innovation in its own right ?

the Vamo does the same as the sig .. but in terms of quality is way below .. but still .. its one of the most bought units for those switching up from eGo's

I say that about sigelei and smok because they are a couple of the main culprits. I may be wrong and sure there are others. They make their own stuff and that's fine, I have no issue with that or the fact that it's chinese or mass produced or cheap, that's not my issue with this. I'm talking about direct copies. Sigelei have about 50 different mods so why clone a roller or dingo if not to cash in on the original or just badly steal the ideas. They obviously have enough ideas of their own.
I have no issues with vamos either. A lot of people like them. I'm purely talking about clones.
Like I say, I'd buy a UD product if I wanted something cheap. I have no issue with their products because as far as I can see they don't copy stuff, at least no blatantly
The difference comes from by who, how and why things are made. Independent modders are not manufacturing companies or branches of large companies. They are not even out to make money sometimes. Manufacturing companies are, that's fine but a clone is a stolen and exploited idea.
I guess I'm thinking about this from the perspective of I had made something that was being copied. I don't think you can be so blase about creativity.

My cock has a serial number on it now. Just to support market research :)

I may be wrong but it's my current thoughts. I purchase on looks a lot of the time and I would love some shineys however if I am not on a list or in a special hand shake group then the only option is to secretly purchase one for shed loads of money from a flipper which becomes silly to be honest and kind of defeats the ability to respect the effort gone into something that becomes a very expensive tube.

I appreciate what you say about the Carvella but when you make a product everyone seems to want, you have to expect a clone or similar product to appear which will catch some of those wanting something along those lines.

I'd disagree with that too, why do you have to expect a clone? Because some manufacturers have no scruples about ripping people off doesn't mean that the guy making it should compromise what he's doing in any way. Also I don't think that people who are looking for a vela will settle on a clone, people who heard about them or have seen them and thought they were good or have seen people waxing lyrical about them but don't neccessarily understand what they are might get a clone of it. I'm not really interested in velas but that's more to do with the connector.
Anyway, I think my opinion has been put out there

cant see anything wrong with the clones myself, people will still buy the original product, but for me the clone comes into its own for people who cannot afford the said original product, companies will copy other companies, people will copy other people, its just how life works,

And stealthvape when can I buy one :P

What about clones of UD attys?

I'll get the oddys up later when I've sorted today's orders.

I really appreciate all of the replies and discussion on this thread, so thanks guys :)

Last edited:
I'd disagree with that too, why do you have to expect a clone? Because some manufacturers have no scruples about ripping people off doesn't mean that the guy making it should compromise what he's doing in any way. Also I don't think that people who are looking for a vela will settle on a clone, people who heard about them or have seen them and thought they were good or have seen people waxing lyrical about them but don't neccessarily understand what they are might get a clone of it. I'm not really interested in velas but that's more to do with the connector.
Anyway, I think my opinion has been put out there

I think that one of the issues is that we, as vapers seem to expect something cheaper in the horizon.

I think you might be seeing this a different way to me from the Vela example (which I assume is a shortened name of the other.) from my viewpoint, if I wasn't looking for a vela, but admired it's design (or appearance) then I would look elsewhere. This is the majority.
The minority is those who seek the original and sadly in industry, majority can make you good money.

Whenever something is released which has a hefty price tag, I often see posts which suggest people will wait for a clone, copy or maybe even a like.
I think the term clone is also a little pants – I have a Sig 20, it's apparently a clone of the Roller. Bollox is it! It might be like it in terms of having a bottom, middle part, top part and upper side mounted switch. As the Vaping community grows, the demand will increase.
Copies happen in every industry. Think of items at home. Would you be happy to accept that things like the TV, Sofa, light bulbs, loo rolls etc are all clones of original designs, albeit changed and evolved over time.

Demand is irrelevant. Plagiarising another persons idea for the sake of profit is unethical. TVs and light bulbs have patents on the technology that's used by different companies, toilet paper? These aren't disposable items, its not even in the same ballpark. I know a guy who's a lighting designer and if someone were to copy his idea and start mass producing it using his name as a point of reference but giving no credit or profits then how could he not be pissed off about that? He'd sue them and win.
I suppose as an art school graduate I feel quite strongly about this. There's no way to justify plagiarism like that, saying it's cheaper for yourself or it happens all the time is no excuse. That's why I won't buy it.
Like I say, there's no way to justify plagiarism. You either care about it or you don't.

Of course demand is relevant, if you cannot meet demand you either make more or people go elsewhere.
Loo rolls, light bulbs. OK, may have not picked the right items for you, but seems that maybe it's going to be wrong anyway.
Plagiarism, I am not sure if someone is actually doing that. If we are talking of ideas, then it is difficult to define a boundary as such, and maybe everything is a clone of an original ecig?

As for patents on bits, surely it's up to the owner of the design or idea.

I appreciate your stance here but what else am I to say. We are people, we have opinions and generally voice them.

I'm not the best arguer and maybe we're just picking out details
Basically I don't agree with clones

I'm not the best arguer and maybe we're just picking out details
Basically I don't agree with clones

Cool, if we are talking about Plagiarism then that is pants. I agree with that in terms of it being wrong, but maybe I have not seen that occur.

Well, maybe. At least they say it's a clone I guess. Doesn't really change anything I said.

Now lets get onto fasttech undercutting uk vendors :grin2:

Last edited:
Well, maybe. At least they say it's a clone I guess. Doesn't really change anything I said.

Now lets get onto fasttech undercutting uk vendors :grin2:

Sweet, should be able to put the squeeze on the suppliers :)

I'm surprised deal extreme didn't get there first tbh. Just you wait till the christmas period though hehe

Back
Top Bottom