What's new

Oddy Clones and Clones In General

I disagree with it being purely marketing. Look at pedro the caravela maker. It's not his job to make those, he does it out of a desire to make and share, he makes small runs that take a long time to make, each one has a serial because it's an individual stamp. If he wanted to make loads of money off them he could just auction them off on facebook or triple the price but he doesn't because that's not why he's making them. Because it's a small run and each one has a serial number maybe adds to the mistique but it's not the guy who makes the mod creating the mistique. I just think that's the wrong way to look at it.
I'm not chasing serial numbered items but if I know some guy has toiled over something then I appreciate the fact that it's individually stamped.
A clone takes all that innovation and work, steals the branding and basically takes the piss out off the guy who was working to create something. I can't agree with it. Also like doc said, the quality is usually shit and they missed the point of the original.
I do like UD though. Smok and sigelei can go fuck themselves

btw I am on lists and I speak to the people who are making things for me, I appreciate everything they're doing and why they're doing it, a copy is just a thing but some of the stuff these guys make is basically art. There I said it.

Last edited:
Sure you get what you pay for and each of us has a different budget and criteria when making a purchase, most of us would want the well made lovingly finished item produced by a craftsman and I would think most of us aspire to that, sadly the reality falls somewhat short and we do what we can within a budget.

MYyKo4vr90-GUP9CBa9fzg2.jpg

I disagree with it being purely marketing. Look at pedro the caravela maker. It's not his job to make those, he does it out of a desire to make and share, he makes small runs that take a long time to make, each one has a serial because it's an individual stamp. If he wanted to make loads of money off them he could just auction them off on facebook or triple the price but he doesn't because that's not why he's making them. Because it's a small run and each one has a serial number maybe adds to the mistique but it's not the guy who makes the mod creating the mistique. I just think that's the wrong way to look at it.
I'm not chasing serial numbered items but if I know some guy has toiled over something then I appreciate the fact that it's individually stamped.
A clone takes all that innovation and work, steals the branding and basically takes the piss out off the guy who was working to create something. I can't agree with it. Also like doc said, the quality is usually shit and they missed the point of the original.
I do like UD though. Smok and sigelei can go fuck themselves

btw I am on lists and I speak to the people who are making things for me, I appreciate everything they're doing and why they're doing it, a copy is just a thing but some of the stuff these guys make is basically art. There I said it.

You say that about sigelei ... and smok .. but both companies have bought out products in their own right

The Sig zMax for example .. while not of the quality perhaps of a provari (tho not a million miles away) has more features ... features that are not available on the Provari ... is that a provari clone ? or is it innovation in its own right ?

the Vamo does the same as the sig .. but in terms of quality is way below .. but still .. its one of the most bought units for those switching up from eGo's

My cock has a serial number on it now. Just to support market research :)

I may be wrong but it's my current thoughts. I purchase on looks a lot of the time and I would love some shineys however if I am not on a list or in a special hand shake group then the only option is to secretly purchase one for shed loads of money from a flipper which becomes silly to be honest and kind of defeats the ability to respect the effort gone into something that becomes a very expensive tube.

I appreciate what you say about the Carvella but when you make a product everyone seems to want, you have to expect a clone or similar product to appear which will catch some of those wanting something along those lines.

James ... I think a serial number requires more than one digit :)

Back
Top Bottom