What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Oddy Clones and Clones In General

stealthvape

Premium Vendor
I've been playing with an oddy clone the last few days, seeing if they leak, catch fire that sort of thing and it got me thinking...

So clones, taking the food out of the original creators children's mouths? Or supply and demand, someone was going to do it eventually?

I can see both points myself. Being friends with Jim692 the maker of the UKVA attys I could sympathise if some factory started churning out his attys. Lucky for him he's in the unique position of using the highest grade materials like medical grade 2 titanium, gold and fused quartz which make cloning a bit unlikely but still, hypothetically, it would be rubbish to see his hard work go to waste.

Sympathised with the guys at Alba when Chobras hit the market as I'm sure many did and I won't stock those out of solidarity.

Selling Oddy clones, good? Bad? Grey area? I'll burn in hell?

I was chatting to a friend of mine about this kind of thing and it's part of Chinese culture. If you hire a factory to make a thing then after the work day a "night shift" will come in to make the clones. They don't see anything wrong with it.
At least that's what goes on on his industry, lighting for gigs and such, all the clones are made by the same factory or a family member being given the plans

Ooooohhhhh.........I think there is many sides to this argument, some I accept and would buy, and others that I feel are just not ethical. Here are some examples: -

1. RSST - I thought long and hard before I bought this, and I know its supposed to be a direct clone of the AC9, Now I have been interested in the AC9, but a lot of money to throw at a tank, if its not any good. After having the RSST, I can tell you the AC9 is a definate on my 'want' list :), so this has confirmed my interest :)

2. The items, which are serial numbered, and only released in small batches, to create hype and keep prices high, I have no sympathy if these end up getting cloned and I would buy.

3. Little Freddy the passionate vaper, who stumbles on an idea, and goes to the trouble to manufacture, and the product becomes a hit, nope I wouldnt buy a clone. Little companies based in a garden shed, need support and the vaping community to get behind them.

I disagree with all of them and can't see much difference between 2 and 3.
The thing is they don't need to clone stuff but they do and then they say or vendors say "wotsit clone". Selling stuff on the name made by honest people who make things because they love making things. It's bullshit, it shouldn't be supported. I don't buy the too expensive or unavailable tag either. It's not an excuse.
There's nothing wrong with clearos or evods or cheaper gear whatever but there is something wrong with stealing other people's ideas for profit and supporting that theft by buying the products. My tuppence, I won't buy them.

You will find everyone has there opinion on this, and some "clones" seem to be more acceptable than others. The oddy variants seeming to come into the more acceptable bracket. I did once read the Imeo did'ent mind the clones as it promotes his brand and gives him advertizing, but wether its true or not I could'ent say.

I've been playing with an oddy clone the last few days, seeing if they leak, catch fire that sort of thing and it got me thinking...

So clones, taking the food out of the original creators children's mouths? Or supply and demand, someone was going to do it eventually?

I can see both points myself. Being friends with Jim692 the maker of the UKVA attys I could sympathise if some factory started churning out his attys. Lucky for him he's in the unique position of using the highest grade materials like medical grade 2 titanium, gold and fused quartz which make cloning a bit unlikely but still, hypothetically, it would be rubbish to see his hard work go to waste.

Sympathised with the guys at Alba when Chobras hit the market as I'm sure many did and I won't stock those out of solidarity.

Selling Oddy clones, good? Bad? Grey area? I'll burn in hell?

All valid points but I think the line is drawn where it might be personal, we want more for less and someone will provide it, first big saving is R&D, if NASA and Northrop have to take it on the chin for billions what chance does the vaping world have.

If you know a person such as Jim692 that would be cold to just think business, bottom line is you are in business too and have to compete, not just on price and service but also carrying the right stock for demand, you are a reseller and if you don't get it right everyone else will and squeeze you into a corner.

It's a tough one but you only have to be friendly to friends I guess and give the small guy with the balls to chase an idea a chance...
And I totally agree with @AndyC1971 on the serial numbered hyped up, price inflating, bragging rights based bullshit.... Clone them all and sell them at cost !

vAPE-wARS.jpg

As long as there's subtle differences or serial numbers lacking, then I don't care, the vaping community know the difference between what's real and what isn't :D

Back
Top Bottom