What's new

Kanthal Ribbon

technoman

Postman
Well I got my 2nd order and obviously wasn't paying attention, as I've ordered some .4 and .5 ribbon instead of plain old round kanthal.. :17:

My question is: What can I actually use this stuff for? What would you guys recommend?

Not looking at really low sub ohm builds, but for example for my Lemo Drop - Can you micro coil this stuff? Is ribbon twisted with some regular round (tiger coil I think) worth it?

I will try it in the genesis next time I need to re-coil as I like the idea of the flat coverage against the wick but that's about all I can think of using it for! Looks like it will have to wait until after pay day to get some regular thicker round kanthal :18:

By the way, just wanted to say thanks. I don't shop around any more for supplies as your wire and mesh are fantastic in quality and packaging, prices are fair, I've had next day delivery on both orders and gotta love the freebies!

Ribbon is fucking awesome dude, you'll see why when you build with it!

Tiger Wire is indeed one length of ribbon, one length of kanthal, twisted. It's a good vape, but you can get much better.

The best build for ribbon by far is Fused Ribbon Clapton.

20150624_185956.jpg

It comes out to about .4 ohms. You want to wrap it round a 2.5mm ID, no less, otherwise you'll find it very difficult.

You can also do a standard Ribbon Clapton. All you're doing is working out the inner core resistance, the ribbon (outer wraps) amount to practically nothing.

Thanks mate :) I've only done one clapton and although it worked out OK the resistance was too high and nothing tasted full through it. I might give this one a try when I get some .4 or .5 regular next month. Does it wind easily?

Well what ohms would you want to achieve? Easy then for me to recommend something.

Fused means two cores, so halfs the overall resistance, plus wicks like a beast! piss easy yeah mate, obviously you'll have to adjust to get it right, but it isn't hard to get used to by no means. As I said though, when wrapping it, just make sure it's around a 2.5mm ID, anything lower it's to tight to wrap and the ribbon will just fuck up.

Well what ohms would you want to achieve? Easy then for me to recommend something.

Fused means two cores, so halfs the overall resistance, plus wicks like a beast! piss easy yeah mate, obviously you'll have to adjust to get it right, but it isn't hard to get used to by no means. As I said though, when wrapping it, just make sure it's around a 2.5mm ID, anything lower it's to tight to wrap and the ribbon will just fuck up.

Everything goes on the MVP3 so it has to be over 0.5.. Normally aim for around 0.8. Maybe a non-fused? Guess it might not work with a thinner core..

Thanks for the tips btw ;)

Everything goes on the MVP3 so it has to be over 0.5.. Normally aim for around 0.8. Maybe a non-fused? Guess it might not work with a thinner core..

Thanks for the tips btw ;)

Ahh right ok. Well you could do it with fused .32 kanthal, 9 wraps would come out to .8ohms, or you could just go single core, with .5 kanthal, around 9 wraps! :)

Ahh right ok. Well you could do it with fused .32 kanthal, 9 wraps would come out to .8ohms, or you could just go single core, with .5 kanthal, around 9 wraps! :)

Ok I'm going to try making the wire shortly and if that goes well I'll wrap it If it will fit through the holes in the drop.. Thanks for the pointers!

Not doing that again.. Maybe it's too big for the lemo deck but it took about half an hour to get the legs in the holes and 3 different wick builds it just isn't good..

It comes in at 1.2 and maybe that's the problem. At 6v it's firing at 30w which is all the mvp3 can do, anything under that and it's taking 10 to 15 seconds to heat up and it just tastes watery all round.

It was definitely an experience though! It's 1:20am and I've had enough it's bed time, will pull it out when I get a chance and put in 5 wraps of triple twisted 32awg, job done!

1437697037354.jpg

Not doing that again.. Maybe it's too big for the lemo deck but it took about half an hour to get the legs in the holes and 3 different wick builds it just isn't good..

It comes in at 1.2 and maybe that's the problem. At 6v it's firing at 30w which is all the mvp3 can do, anything under that and it's taking 10 to 15 seconds to heat up and it just tastes watery all round.

It was definitely an experience though! It's 1:20am and I've had enough it's bed time, will pull it out when I get a chance and put in 5 wraps of triple twisted 32awg, job done!

View attachment 58480

Shame its not on a dripper with a slightly more powerful mod looks like an alright build ;)

Ahh shit sorry bud, didn't realize you was limited to 30w otherwise i wouldn't have recommended it. It's a build that does require a lot of power.

I don't understand how it came out to 1.2 ohms.. What wire did you use and how many wraps?

You can always use ribbon as a standard coil, just wrap it, but it doesn't give off a warm vape so wouldn't really recommend it.

Give the Tiger Wire a go bud. That will be fine for a 30w device.

Back
Top Bottom