What's new

Opinion : PODs vs Tanks and Atomisers, and why I think more people should be using rebuildables.

Well, it took one outraged black lady refusing to give up her seat in a bus in Alabama a century or so ago to trigger a movement that led to the end of state-endorsed segregation.

I am not really putting the two issues on the same historical level! I am not also advocating a boycott. I am talking about promoting awareness and informed opinion. I am glad you started this conversation.
I was kinda kidding about the boycott - i actually wrote the blog in the first place to raise awareness. The plastic waste issue is my biggest gripe, and when you put it next to the cost savings of build your own or even stock coils - it all seems a bit of a nonsense.

my absolute major gripe is with the one flavour disposable ones, seems just so irresponsible.

I was kinda kidding about the boycott - i actually wrote the blog in the first place to raise awareness. The plastic waste issue is my biggest gripe, and when you put it next to the cost savings of build your own or even stock coils - it all seems a bit of a nonsense.

my absolute major gripe is with the one flavour disposable ones, seems just so irresponsible.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of the Geekbar disposables advert flashing underneath your post in my browser :18:

I do see the appeal and value to pod systems, I use them myself out of preference so I am torn with the whole waste side of it, I avoid non replaceable coils in pods, I know the majority of my waste is 10ml bottles, which I stash in a box to put in the recycle bin when it looks large enough for the council sorters not to ignore, I get the feeling they still end up in landfill but I cling to the hope they do get recycled. (I also bulk dispose of my stock coils after I scavenge the o-rings)

Even when I have a full box of say around 60 bottles or so, it doesn't weight that much especially when I compare it to the amount in my household plastics, I definitely feel guilt about my vape wastage be it coils, bottles and pods but my household crap makes me feel worse.

But I guess that isn't the point and I do agree that more should be done to reduce vape waste.

Vape waste as I see it:
  • Juice bottles and packaging.
  • New hardware for the sake of it (guilty as charged).
  • Stock coil scrap metal.
  • Pod scrap plastic and metal.
  • Sink fodder of minging juices.
  • Product packaging (Innokin are addressing this).
Rebuildables are without a doubt the best way to go, though I know they will be too much hassle or too complex for some people and they are likely to be the pods target consumer, if there was a pod ban I doubt I would be upset but it would cut off a large proportion of potential people wanting to quit smoking.

Devils advocate, lets say the perfect world scenario for a 'planet' friendly way of vaping;
  • Buy and use just one tank and mod and battery.
  • Rebuild using wire and muji cotton.
  • DIY mix your own juice in bulk (sneaking around TPD).
  • Use multi-use refill bottles.
The vape industry would be in a better place environmentally but that's never going to happen, just as smokers couldn't wouldn't smoke roll-ups.

As for disposables, that's a whole other can of worms.

There's so many great debate points you've raised in one topic, I've had to cut myself short with my above mind-farting.

Is there a biodegradeable silicon or similar that could be used instead of PET's etc, something similar to a squonk bottle. My daughter just gave me another idea, something like those Yoghurt/fromage things the kids have with a lid and foil like plastic, maybe it would create less waste being much thinner than the 10ml bottle.
A 60ml shortfill bottle must use the same amount of plastic as 6x 10ml bottles so i am unsure if the 10ml bottle creates any more waste, take into account DL vapers vape more liquid a day i would say the plastic bottle waste from MTL and DL are similar.
Back to rebuildables. for those who feel it's a mind field for those who just can't be arsed, when you take a job on have you ever gone straight in knowing where everything is?. How to use the machines?. how to set up equipment. My guess is no, most sruff is learnt during the start of employment or as you go. Apply this to coiling and wicking an rta.
Did any of you really start smoking and never duck arse a ciggy (got the tip wet) i guess not you learned how not to as time passed. I can understand people who are blind or with problems with their hands can't build, i struggle with vision loss myself, thinner wire is not seeable, decks benefit from post holes but other than medical issues i can't see why more folks won't learn what's a simple task and a big money saver as well as better on the enviroment.

Is there a biodegradeable silicon or similar that could be used instead of PET's etc, something similar to a squonk bottle. My daughter just gave me another idea, something like those Yoghurt/fromage things the kids have with a lid and foil like plastic, maybe it would create less waste being much thinner than the 10ml bottle.
A 60ml shortfill bottle must use the same amount of plastic as 6x 10ml bottles so i am unsure if the 10ml bottle creates any more waste, take into account DL vapers vape more liquid a day i would say the plastic bottle waste from MTL and DL are similar.
Back to rebuildables. for those who feel it's a mind field for those who just can't be arsed, when you take a job on have you ever gone straight in knowing where everything is?. How to use the machines?. how to set up equipment. My guess is no, most sruff is learnt during the start of employment or as you go. Apply this to coiling and wicking an rta.
Did any of you really start smoking and never duck arse a ciggy (got the tip wet) i guess not you learned how not to as time passed. I can understand people who are blind or with problems with their hands can't build, i struggle with vision loss myself, thinner wire is not seeable, decks benefit from post holes but other than medical issues i can't see why more folks won't learn what's a simple task and a big money saver as well as better on the enviroment.
there is definitely more plastic in 6 x 10ml than 1 x 60ml ... but some distance
without even going into the the bottle shape - there are 6 plastic caps for a start

there is definitely more plastic in 6 x 10ml than 1 x 60ml ... but some distance
without even going into the the bottle shape - there are 6 plastic caps for a start
in fact .. ill weight them out when im at work on Monday ... and we can see - I could be wrong .. I dont think so tho

i can't see why more folks won't learn what's a simple task and a big money saver as well as better on the enviroment.

I take it you've not work in a vape shop, many people, even after months and sometimes years have no idea about their vape, how it actually works, how to change a coil or charge the thing properly. One lady even used the same coil for 3 years.

in fact .. ill weight them out when im at work on Monday ... and we can see - I could be wrong .. I dont think so tho

i just weighed a 10ml bottle complete with cap and spout 6.2g. I also weighed a 50ml juice ration empty that was 16.6g lets say 20g for a 60ml i also weighed a 100ml bottle complete and it was different plastic PHE i think. came in at 16.7g. so it would seem like 37.2g for 6x10ml equating to almost twice the waste, looking at it from my vaping experience I think it was 30-40ml a week when i started MTL now its probably 120ml a week so waste would be 24.8g mtl and 40g DL.

I take it you've not work in a vape shop, many people, even after months and sometimes years have no idea about their vape, how it actually works, how to change a coil or charge the thing properly. One lady even used the same coil for 3 years.

Vape shops and me don't mix well, I get what you are saying and agree some folks don't bother to learn about things which is how the general public are these days. But with the 2030 tobacco coming it's time more vaping classes where held for those who are willing to go to the quit smoking clinics, add the clinic advising folks to look on youtube for helpful tips etc. It is on the horizon so the more steps the Gov takes to help deal with the eventual ban or whatever the better there's always a way round anything it's finding the exact way that succeeds best, nothing is easy and there will always be those who can't these folks are exempt from my idea. I don't go on about all the ins and outs it takes to long but i often feel i have to explain more to some folks, put part of this down to my bad eyesight and the attempt to post as soon as possible, means i don't alwaysget round to covering everything.

Back
Top Bottom