What's new

Where I live - mad levels of history!

stevoknevo

Achiever
This discovery took place maybe 200 yards directly behind where I currently live - they went searching for the location in 1964 and couldn't find it. Loads of caves around here, I've known people who've fallen on hard times and lived in them until we alerted the relevant authorities!

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-a...-buried-cave-near-oban-6000-years-ago-3104530

And this popped up on my Twitter earlier too - for shame, and despite driving past for the last 15 years, I've never been to the site and didn't realise they were 'Highland Clearance' properties - I posted photos in the Out and About thread from the nearby Kilmory Oib settlement mentioned last year, and only just now realising that was a clearance settlement too as the sign says it was abandoned!

https://canmore.org.uk/site/39175/arichonan-township

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ODBBV045WC1ScHdHaHI0R2hBZmxkY2NTWDBqQ01n

And not far Arichonan/Kilmory Oib is, as the article says, a very special place indeed - Kilmartin Glen. Essentially the setting for Pixar's 'Brave' movie, it really is an ethereal place (even just driving through as it's on the main route between Mid Argyll and North Argyll. Man, if only the land could share it's stories...

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Kilmartin-Glen/

I'll add more later as I could be here for days!

Anything interesting where you live? Post the good stuff here :)

One of our last visits up that way we visited various sites around Kilmarten Glen.

Great place.

We declared ourselves king and queen of Dal Riata on at the kings footprints on top of Dunadd.
I am sure many people do that every day but unless they could improve on our omens of encountering an adder on our way up and a stoat on our way down as we did then their claim to the kingdom does not count.

I spend hours on the Canmore site, it's enabled me to locate really old photos and info of my area and diverts off so many time to throw up more information :)

I am just a short walk from the site of the Battle of Ancrum Moor

Where there is a commemorative stone with the following inscription

Fair Maid Lilliard

lies under this stane

little was her stature

but muckle was her fame

upon the English loons

she laid monie thumps

and when her legs were cuttit off

she fought upon her stumps.

Historians are doubtful about the historical accuracy, but they are no fun
https://canmore.org.uk/site/57010/lilliards-stone-lilliards-edge
https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL2

There's a bus shelter nearby that proclaims, "Sharon Jones got fingered here".

Going by the age of the marking, and looking at similar scrawls, I estimate it could be dated as far back as 1986. I've written to Time Team about it but they've not responded.

1066 and all that, round here, the battle of Hastings wasn't even in Hastings, it took place in um, Battle.

In other news, we are ringed by a number of ex-WWII air bases. All of them played a supportive role either reconnaissance or supply drops.

The PLUTO (pipeline under the ocean) project was conceived in Corby, providing fuel to allied forces in Europe.

The fuel was moved around the UK through a secret network, one of the dumps is covered in sheep on one of our regular dog walks.

Northampton would have been a city to rival Cambridge and Oxford were it not for the fact we pissed off a king who crushed the university and destroyed the castle.

Cromwell marched his troops across another of our dog walks, kicking royal arse at Naseby.

Villages that don't bear Anglo-Saxon names are all Viking. Except this one.

Mary Queen of Scots spent her final night here before meeting her maker at Fotheringhay.

Home of the nation's shoe and cloth industry, of which few remain.

And a huge amount of stuff besides - it's what has inspired me to study this all properly.

139610067_1130792134024957_2926753384038333009_o.jpg

Lots of local history my way. 4 books of Tipton in old photographs showing pics of the past lots of industrial history, Black country Museum is a place i like, you can buy a fish n chips cooked in Proper beef fat, not that crap they use today. Bring back wrapping chips in newspaper now we have left the EU lol. Loads of mining history, canals galore, when i was a kid the kid over the road from me fell 30ft down a mine shaft that just opened up in the woods. He luckily landed on a ledge, if he missed the ledge he would have fell to his death 300ft or more.
Limestone was what was mined and there are loads of fossils to be found in the limestone. I did have some but they got lost in a house move many years ago. I now live a mile outside Tipton, it was a great place to live untill the millenium since then it has gone downhill people just do not get on like they did.
Older history is Dudley Castle which is part of Dudley Zoo. Himley hall is a nice park more of a nature park but it's nice to go and have a picnic, fish if you like fishing take something sporty to play,and it is set in a rural area. There is also the Old Monestry tuins left after Henry the 8th had it ruined.
Dudley town is a place where anything can happen and often does. I have seen allsorts of crazy stuff and thats the folks in the town.
Famous folks. Eric Clapton and Robert plant used to live by my great grandmothers house My Ma and Stepdad knew them as kids.
Lenny Henry, Where i live now is Slade land, Bilston.

Sadly being largely a new town (The old town is still pretty vibrant) Swindon doesn't have much of historical interest unless you like your trains, want to see where old man Steptoe was arrested for attempting to fiddle with kids, where Stephen fry was arrested for credit card fraud or my mate Gary stick a banger in Julian clary 's parker hood.
But the surrounding area has some of the most interesting places I've seen in the UK from avebury standing stones, Kennet longbarrow, merlins supposed burial mound, roundway hill and tons more.
I shall get some pics and stories up.

Back
Top Bottom