What's new

Tracking Details

Crewella

Olympian
I just saw this about Germany - it's something I'd been thinking about too. Anyone else?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...as-hong-kong-on-brink-of-large-scale-outbreak

Germany’s hotel and restaurant federation (Dehoga) has said its members are concerned about their legal obligation to collect guests’ names and addresses so they can be traced in case of a coronavirus outbreak, accusing the police of frequently using the data for other unrelated reasons.

Dehoga’s president, Ingrid Hartges, has called the process “extremely sensitive” and called for clarity from lawmakers, saying that many of its members had been disturbed by what they saw as law enforcer’s misuse of the data.

Under measures to tackle the spread of coronavirus, pubs, restaurants and hotels in Germany are obliged to collect the names and contact details of all guests, so that they can be quickly traced, if it is suspected that someone infected with coronavirus has visited the establishment. The data is to be kept for a month before the establishment’s management is obliged to destroy it.

But a rising number of cases are coming to light of police requesting the contact data in order to pursue criminal prosecutions despite the fact that registration forms which guests fill in, carry the assurance that “data will only be used in case of a coronavirus infection”.

In a letter to its 65,000 members seen by the newspaper group, Funke Mediengruppe Dehoga has expressed its concern about the current situation, cautioning them to ensure that the data is not used for any purpose other than to pursue the virus. Hartges wrote that misuse of the data had the potential to “increase conflicts between patrons and guests”, particularly if guests became reluctant to give their details owing to frequent requests by the police to see the lists.

Elsewhere there are concerns about the lists’ general reliability, over increasing indications that many people are indeed filling out the forms incorrectly, or giving false names. A recent outbreak of the virus which was traced back to a bar in southern Berlin has led to 70 people being quarantined.

But 41 of the guests who were at Brauhaus Neulich on 16 July, gave incomplete or false contact details “meaning that to trace them is extremely difficult to impossible,” according to the health office in the Neukölln district. Eighteen people who visited the bar have been tested positive for the virus.

Whilst the health authorities insist that patrons are responsible for checking the information guests give is correct, Dehoga has said its members cannot be expected to check every guest’s identification against the data they volunteer.

I've thought about this too. In this country its the NHS doing the tracing (I think) but a database is a database.

I wouldn't put it passed a lot of businesses taking the opportunity to sign people up to various marketing lists as well.

I've thought about this too. In this country its the NHS doing the tracing (I think) but a database is a database.

I wouldn't put it passed a lot of businesses taking the opportunity to sign people up to various marketing lists as well.

from reading the thing it looks like the police are specifically requesting the lists in their investigating of crimes. it’s a tricky one.

It shouldnt be complicated, contact details for tracing covid should be considered medical records and treated as such

It shouldnt be complicated, contact details for tracing covid should be considered medical records and treated as such

no, a list of people who were in a pub isn’t medical records. at least not in europe.

no, a list of people who were in a pub isn’t medical records. at least not in europe.
Thats my point, if its being collected specifically for covid tracking then it should be, especially since thats the reason they r using to mandate it

In a pub or renting a hotel room i can accept it, since u should expect to show id simply for the purpose of going there. But any place that doesnt require id, i would never give my real info if its already being abused

you don’t need id here to go in a pub. it couldn’t be classed as medical records as it’s just your name and contact details.

you don’t need id here to go in a pub

You do actually if you are lucky enough to look as though you might be under 18, some places even ask for ID until you look over 21, as they don't let under 21s in.
My daughter always has her's with her.

Back
Top Bottom