What's new

Social Misfit's Hall of mental anguish

"Misfit"

Veteran
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...abs-adviser-2021-07-19/?utm_source=reddit.com
upload_2021-7-19_19-29-5.png

As most of the older generation have already had two jabs, and the jab doesn't guarantee immunity but is likely to cause a less severe infection, its not that surprising that the elderly and frail will continue to require medical assistance for infections the young and fit will shrug off. The vaccine doesn't make people young again.

The only problem I have with this article is the rabid anti-vax crowd will point a finger at this article and manipulate it to show 'positive proof' that the vaccine is dangerous and makes you more likely to catch covid. They still have warehouses full of Q-Anon worming pills to sell to the enlightened.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-07-covid-deaths-uk-vaccinated.html

PHE data suggests that being double vaccinated reduces the risk of being hospitalized with the now-dominant delta variant by around 96%. Even conservatively assuming the vaccines are no more effective at preventing death than hospitalization (actually they are likely to be more effective at preventing death) this means the risk of death for double vaccinated people has been cut to less than one-twentieth of the value for unvaccinated people with the same underlying risk profile.

However, the 20-fold decrease in risk afforded by the vaccine isn't enough to offset the 32-fold increase in underlying risk of death of an 70-year-old over a 35-year-old. Given the same risk of infection, we would still expect to see more double-vaccinated 70-year-olds die from COVID than unvaccinated 35-year-olds. There are caveats to that simple calculation. The risk of infection is not the same for all age groups. Currently, infections are highest in the youngest and lower in older age groups.

I'm a bit lost as to the turn this thread is taking - this is a statement from Downing Street, and the Sky News link gives an explanation?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-07-covid-deaths-uk-vaccinated.html

PHE data suggests that being double vaccinated reduces the risk of being hospitalized with the now-dominant delta variant by around 96%. Even conservatively assuming the vaccines are no more effective at preventing death than hospitalization (actually they are likely to be more effective at preventing death) this means the risk of death for double vaccinated people has been cut to less than one-twentieth of the value for unvaccinated people with the same underlying risk profile.

However, the 20-fold decrease in risk afforded by the vaccine isn't enough to offset the 32-fold increase in underlying risk of death of an 70-year-old over a 35-year-old. Given the same risk of infection, we would still expect to see more double-vaccinated 70-year-olds die from COVID than unvaccinated 35-year-olds. There are caveats to that simple calculation. The risk of infection is not the same for all age groups. Currently, infections are highest in the youngest and lower in older age groups.

Yeah, age is still the biggest factor in hospitalizations/serious illness/death. We've known this all along, that's why we vaccinated in descending age order. Many elderly folk are extremely frail, even a minor illness that most of us would bounce back from easily, can lead to serious problems.

If 100% of people were double vaccinated, then 100% of hospital admissions would be double vaccinated people. It's a meaningless headline.

I'm a bit lost as to the turn this thread is taking - this is a statement from Downing Street, and the Sky News link gives an explanation?
Agreed - if you watched the briefing, he did in fact state that 60% were vaccinated, he also went on to state that that is to be expected as a: hospitalisations are down over all from the last surge, and as such a large portion of the population is vaccinated it follows that a larger number of people who end in hospital will have been vaccinated, by the simple fact that they are now a larger percentage of the population than non vaccinated.

my issue with this headline and this as a result this thread is the way that has been portrayed to grab headlines …

Fuck me! 60% of people admitted to covid had two jabs!!!!”

Thereby kind of hinting that the vaccine doesn't work to grab a reader, i find it a cheap shot that does nothing to endear me to a media i already despise.

Thing is …

“many less people than before being admitted to hospital because jab is partially effective at stopping it”

Just doesn't grab the the drama lamas does it ?
And sadly adds fuel to the fire of the anti-vaxx brigade … all for the sake of a few clicks.

irresponsible journalism.

good or neutral news doesnt sell

Back
Top Bottom