What's new

People with learning disabilities have been given do not resuscitate orders

I think the problem here is that there will be a lot of half truths involved.

The notes are simply "guidance" notes, not an instruction that must be obeyed.

In certain circumstances the decision to resusitate needs careful consideration with regard to each individual patient, in just a few seconds of time.

Don't forget that someone who has covid will be struggling to breathe, and possibly be on a ventilator.
The process of resusitation can damage the lungs further, and damage the chest cavity.
Also if the heart is stopped, so no oxygenated blood is being circulated there will be brain damage within about 15 seconds (I think)

To be honest I have thought for a long time that resusitation was not a fix all procedure, and depending on the patient can be a futile procedure.

As I am now disabled, and have bad breathing, whenever I go into hospital for an operation that involves "knocking me out" I ask for a DNR form before surgery takes place.

I think the problem here is that there will be a lot of half truths involved.

The notes are simply "guidance" notes, not an instruction that must be obeyed.

In certain circumstances the decision to resusitate needs careful consideration with regard to each individual patient, in just a few seconds of time.

Don't forget that someone who has covid will be struggling to breathe, and possibly be on a ventilator.
The process of resusitation can damage the lungs further, and damage the chest cavity.
Also if the heart is stopped, so no oxygenated blood is being circulated there will be brain damage within about 15 seconds (I think)

To be honest I have thought for a long time that resusitation was not a fix all procedure, and depending on the patient can be a futile procedure.

As I am now disabled, and have bad breathing, whenever I go into hospital for an operation that involves "knocking me out" I ask for a DNR form before surgery takes place.
Vegetable after 4 minutes or so.

I'm sure they were even a percentage of family caregivers that decided it was a good time to unburden themselves.

My daughter (Age 21) has a very rare genetic disorder. CDLS (http://www.cdls.org.uk/information-centre/what-are-the-main-features-of-the-syndrome.html) She has severe learning difficulties and is totally non-verbal, she is also physically disabled and cannot walk. She has suffered from GERD (Reflux) all of her life and has had a life of regular surgery (at least and often a lot more than once a year) We have been shielding her throughout the pandemic. Despite having been under the care of various different hospitals and doctors throughout her life and has been a patient at our GP surgery for 13 years, when we recently contacted our surgery to enquire where on the list for Vaccination she currently was, the surgery said "We weren't aware that she was severely disabled"

She has visited the GP maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 13 years, as most of her care needs are dealt with by her hospital and dental doctors directly. We never received notification to shield and thought this strange but under her circumstances, it never occurred to us to take any other course. Due to her tendency towards constant nasal infections and difficulties and a congenital heart defect (all evidenced from her extensive medical notes) we are certain that Covid would almost certainly kill her and consider her extremely vulnerable.

The GP says she is not considered extremely vulnerable and will slot into group 6 (underlying health conditions) and this is only because we contacted them and forced them to take a look at her notes. We think that she would have been treated as a normal 21 year old otherwise.

Basically a cautionary tale proving that the health service can and do make mistakes and that sometimes you should push to get the results you need. We are not satisfied that she is not extremely vulnerable but are not the kind of people to make a fuss and will accept their decision.

2014-04-13 14.28.07.jpg

Yes, this is a recent photo. 2019.

Last edited:
This is glorified crap from the media

DNR’s are not just thrown about the place the media love to lob in headlines like this

as @Badboybez had already said there is a survival aspect to any form of cpr and with someone with complex needs plus physical disabilities on top of learning disabilities and also In some cases SIB or Tourette’s or Challenging behaviour treating a person like this can be a very difficult task.

they can refuse medication cause serious harm to themselves for no reason than they do not understand what’s happening and are terrified

there are huge safe guards in place for people in those areas like Dol’s deprivation of Liberty to name one but the downside is survival after CPR if someone has a 2% chance or less of survival if cpr is used do you want that person to experience there last moments with lots of invasive procedures for me in that situation I would rather slip away peacefully in no pain

edit reading through the related article I’m governed in part by the cqc I haven’t seen any notifications, yes doctors can be awkward but as others have said that’s down to communication gps are general practitioners there understanding of complex needs are limited everything could be better but at the moment every possible bad aspect of the Nhs has a spotlight on it.

the vaccines should be given to people in these areas as a matter of course and priority but you also have 10 million other people all wanting the same vaccine

Last edited:
This is glorified crap from the media

DNR’s are not just thrown about the place the media love to lob in headlines like this

as @Badboybez had already said there is a survival aspect to any form of cpr and with someone with complex needs plus physical disabilities on top of learning disabilities and also In some cases SIB or Tourette’s or Challenging behaviour treating a person like this can be a very difficult task.

they can refuse medication cause serious harm to themselves for no reason than they do not understand what’s happening and are terrified

there are huge safe guards in place for people in those areas like Dol’s deprivation of Liberty to name one but the downside is survival after CPR if someone has a 2% chance or less of survival if cpr is used do you want that person to experience there last moments with lots of invasive procedures for me in that situation I would rather slip away peacefully in no pain

edit reading through the related article I’m governed in part by the cqc I haven’t seen any notifications, yes doctors can be awkward but as others have said that’s down to communication gps are general practitioners there understanding of complex needs are limited everything could be better but at the moment every possible bad aspect of the Nhs has a spotlight on it.

the vaccines should be given to people in these areas as a matter of course and priority but you also have 10 million other people all wanting the same vaccine
Ive only got the first shot, hopin ill get the second within the next 1-5 weeks, but its not a certainty, and i feel like im one of the luckiest ppl on the planet at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom