What's new

Nurses to get a pay rise of 1%

Heavily subsidised housing for nurses (and other important workers in the state sector) would help put the wages issue to bed and would be better than measly wage increases. .. like I said before, that's why people struggle not because wages aren't high enough but because housing is too expensive, and everyone needs somewhere to live.

Heavily subsidised housing for nurses (and other important workers in the state sector) would help put the wages issue to bed and would be better than measly wage increases. .. like I said before, that's why people struggle not because wages aren't high enough but because housing is too expensive, and everyone needs somewhere to live.

housing needs to be cheaper for all poor people, not just nurses and others employed by the state.

... and that's how my parents got their cottage, My Dad worked for the council and it came with the job (so we could live right next door to the council owned greenhouses)

... and that's how my parents got their cottage, My Dad worked for the council and it came with the job (so we could live right next door to the council owned greenhouses)

in scotland hospitals used to have flats built next to them for nurses to live in. i think the concept was a bit sexist, and the presumption was that the nurses would be young single women. there are some near us on a site where the hospital has been demolished but the flats are listed, and are likely to be refurbished into luxury residences. aye, exactly what’s needed... :(

in scotland hospitals used to have flats built next to them for nurses to live in. i think the concept was a bit sexist, and the presumption was that the nurses would be young single women. there are some near us on a site where the hospital has been demolished but the flats are listed, and are likely to be refurbished into luxury residences. aye, exactly what’s needed... :(

ah, that's shit...

I was thinking, we need more nurses... if you got a nice house near the hospital at a very affordable rent, that would be a big bonus. Save on rent and travel expenses and you'd be much better off. They need to be proper homes though, that people want to stay in, not student digs.

I get where you're coming from @crustyfolker but there is no right for anyone to expect an inheritance or for those dying to ensure there is.

Personally I would rather have my mom do equity release so she can afford to do up her house, have repairs done or go into a nicer carehome if the need arises.

Not many of my extended family are actually homeowners, most are still living in the council properties they were allocated years ago. The ones who have purchased don't even move up the ladder. I still do not agree with RTB.

I personally do think renting is dead money. I want to feel stability in a home which I've never felt in a rental, always felt like I was one step away from the LL selling or wanting to move back in, which incidentally did happen twice. I know I've had shit LLs, my mates have good ones who do repairs, keep rental costs down and discuss increases with them before doing it.

Just doing quick calculations based on the amount of rent since moving up here but before buying, that's nearly half the mortgage loan amount in 3.5 years.

I get where you're coming from @crustyfolker but there is no right for anyone to expect an inheritance or for those dying to ensure there is.

Personally I would rather have my mom do equity release so she can afford to do up her house, have repairs done or go into a nicer carehome if the need arises.

Not many of my extended family are actually homeowners, most are still living in the council properties they were allocated years ago. The ones who have purchased don't even move up the ladder. I still do not agree with RTB.

I personally do think renting is dead money. I want to feel stability in a home which I've never felt in a rental, always felt like I was one step away from the LL selling or wanting to move back in, which incidentally did happen twice. I know I've had shit LLs, my mates have good ones who do repairs, keep rental costs down and discuss increases with them before doing it.

Just doing quick calculations based on the amount of rent since moving up here but before buying, that's nearly half the mortgage loan amount in 3.5 years.
I dunno how it is there, but after the mortgage crash of 2008, they started requiring mortgage insurance (that the person pays, not the bank, how does it work that u have to pay insurance for a loan already secured by the value of a property)

But essentially it is to protect banks next time the housing market crashes and they find that the properties they loaned money for r now worth half as much. Sounds like something they should be paying.

But it effectively raises any mortage to well over what can be afforded anywhere but in a slum (so most of philadelphia, actually, lol) unless u r making at least 60 thousand per year there is no way u r getting near a home in a nice area if all u can pay is the 20% down payment. And its incredibly hard to save that when u have to rent while u do it.

And even then u get property taxed up the ass by the local township. My tax is approx. $1000/month

Even affordable housing isn't affordable for those on below average wage. I looked into it when we lived in Edinburgh, the rent was more than what we were paying.

Proper affordable housing is needed and have it regulated so it does go to those below a certain wage which is never likely to increase much.

Shared ownership is a step in the right direction, but having to pay full repair costs on something where only part of it is owned, makes for a scary purchase.

Help to buy is a disaster, is pushing affordability limits and creates an issue in 5 years. New builds are also overpriced. Again I briefly looked into it but could get something older which was better and not worry about how to clear a percentage off as it's not a fixed loan amount.

The LIFT scheme is quite interesting as it's open to older properties, the government have just set up something similar in England (possibly Wales I'm not sure).

Normal FTB properties should be cheap, but the competition is getting them before a LL does.

I don't have a solution aside from build more homes, but pocket friendly, forget all these expensive upgrades just stick a kitchen and bathroom to keep costs down.
Heck we can go into b&q get a bathroom suite for a few hundred, kitchen cupboards and worktops for under £1500, imagine having the buying power and saying I want 300 basic bathrooms and kitchens, what's your best price.

Part of the problem is some people want an all singing, all dancing home but don't have the income to do it. Instead of buying a cheaper property and doing it to their tastes as time goes on, recognising the budget doesn't go far they look at H2B, bank of parents, springboard mortgages and other such schemes. Which brings us round to the want it now mentality and keeping property prices up.

Most of our parents and grandparents did without credit cards, loans, HP the only debt they ever had was a mortgage. If they wanted anything else they saved for it.

I grew up without DG, GCH and there wasn't a phone in the house, no car, no family holidays, couldn't afford to go on school trips so accept my outlook is totally different to most.

I agree with u in theory, but inheritances like houses and land passed down from one generation to the next is how a family creates wealth and priveledge for its next generation, and they for their next generation, like a snowball effect.

Back
Top Bottom