What's new

Ministers could pay £500 to everyone with Covid in England

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-covid-in-england?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I can't believe this is even being considered :11:
as there are numbskulls out there who will deliberately get infected.

My thoughts exactly as soon as I heard it on a couple of news channels.
The crazy thing is that if a test is positive the money is proposed to be paid no matter what your employment status is, to simplify things.

Lets look at a few extreme examples.

I am unemployed, but will still get the payment, despite it making no difference to my capability to go to work / lose income status.

I am a millionaire, but will still get the payment, despite it making no difference to my capability to go to work / lose income status.

I am a currently furloughed, but will still get the payment, despite it making no difference to my capability to go to work / lose income status.

I am a retired pensioner, but will still get the payment, despite it making no difference to my capability to go to work / lose income status.

Before I get a tirade of replies saying that I am being outrageous it fits my own circumstances.
I am currently not working long term due to disability, but will still get the payment, despite it making no difference to my capability to go to work / lose income status.

It's the maddest idea I have heard so far.
As @Social Misfit has said there are a lot of people who will think great, I will take a chance on this.
Supposedly it will suppress the infection rate.
In my opinion it could well increase it.......................

There are millions of workers out there that won't get sick pay if they have to self isolate.
Might make a huge difference if you ask me.

Good idea in theory for low paid workers, but...............

upload_2021-1-22_8-57-32.jpeg

This option is only one of four, it's seems ridiculous to go all daily fail and start ranting on about plebs getting infected on purpose. Maybe the simplicity of paying all people who take a (positive) test works out cheaper than administering a means tested based system (a system that currently excludes so many people). Compliance to self isolate would be far higher, and can be enforced, more easily. Groups (of) and persons currently excluded from financial help would benefit, and there are shit tons of people in those groups - many millions.

There must be 1000's upon 1000's of people out there who cant afford to self isolate, and hence they don't take a test, still go to work, still mix, knowingly or unknowingly - spreading covid. This could actually work, but it is expensive, compared to the current scheme, if cases started dropping dramatically (which is the aim) then so would the cost of this proposal, with every passing week. I don't like the idea of people who don't need the money being able to claim £500, but you know, greed, it's everywhere. After all, people don't have to claim the £500. Those greedy people are the real issue to me, not *potentially*, a few plebeians, trying to get infected on purpose.

Last edited:
how do you win? on one hand you will say the government are useless and corrupt, but if they try and do something useful you can’t believe it, because the untrustworthy plebs will abuse it?
Exactly - don’t think it wouldn’t matter who’s in at this time - they cAnt do right for doing wrong.

this seems like quite a good scheme to me.

Last edited:
So if you have been extremely careful throughout then no payment ?
If I had to isolate, I wouldn’t get ssp until my 5th day off, and then if I tested negative, back to work and no payment for the time off.
Alternatively, if I isolate and then test positive I will receive full pay and now a bonus reward for letting my guard down ?
Makes perfect sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom