What's new

mental health and covid

vapesmarter

Mod Maker
I'm going to put this here

I know a lot of people going through a crisis I am and have myself but I got help after working in mental health for so long I saw the dangers

it's so very lonely, depression in any form and no matter what you do you can't escape COVID 19, everything is related to it it's in the news people talk about it all the time you cant go to the shops and not see it.

plus the financial aspects with people being laid off no money being infected is a devastating thing

then we have the second wave and the flip side of "man up" "get a grip"

if any ape is suffering in any form get help here are some links

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mental-health-helplines/

plus and I know some people look down on this

the samaritans phone number is 116 123 you may have to wait as they are busy but they won't judge you won't hang up wont shout at you,

if it's getting too much get help

if any ape has more links put them below

@vapesmarter I suffer from depression and am heavily medicated most of the time and the slightest thing could tip me over. I hate feeling down all the time and have been close to ending my life several times, not as much as i get older and calmer but it always lets me know that it's still here with me. I have my shrink on speed dial as he gets worried over the state of my mental health. It's like being in a tunnel with blinkers on for me and i hate feeling crap, keeping busy helps but when you have finished it's back to haunt you. It doesn't help when friends or people say snap out of it or pull yourself together, if it was only that easy. Try and keep focused on the things that make you happy or happier as these are the main ammo in your arsenal. Take Care

@vapesmarter I suffer from depression and am heavily medicated most of the time and the slightest thing could tip me over. I hate feeling down all the time and have been close to ending my life several times, not as much as i get older and calmer but it always lets me know that it's still here with me. I have my shrink on speed dial as he gets worried over the state of my mental health. It's like being in a tunnel with blinkers on for me and i hate feeling crap, keeping busy helps but when you have finished it's back to haunt you. It doesn't help when friends or people say snap out of it or pull yourself together, if it was only that easy. Try and keep focused on the things that make you happy or happier as these are the main ammo in your arsenal. Take Care

That's the problem with distraction as therapy, it can work but you have to keep it going 100% of the time, the moment you stop you crash, that's my experience. I use alcohol to stop me overthinking, but I'm much better off defragging my mind / brain via meditation, it's not easy, it's painful, but it does help. Plain old walking, and taking in mother nature, whether sun, sea, rain, sunshine, wind and gales, nature is always honest and for real. I read a lot, that is a great distraction for me, better than the internet and as for most TV, you can shove it.

As for "Man up", I find that a ludicrous statement, besides which it just makes me feel worse, I'm obviously not doing it right :hmm:

That's the problem with distraction as therapy, it can work but you have to keep it going 100% of the time, the moment you stop you crash, that's my experience. I use alcohol to stop me overthinking, but I'm much better off defragging my mind / brain via meditation, it's not easy, it's painful, but it does help. Plain old walking, and taking in mother nature, whether sun, sea, rain, sunshine, wind and gales, nature is always honest and for real. I read a lot, that is a great distraction for me, better than the internet and as for most TV, you can shove it.

As for "Man up", I find that a ludicrous statement, besides which it just makes me feel worse, I'm obviously not doing it right :hmm:

I had the “man up” said to me i just walked away from them utter twats some people have no idea I found being down the black dog uncontrollable

Not had any alcohol for 6 or 7 years but found with that i went into even darker places so alcohol was a no no for me, i like to keep busy but as you say, when you finish your mind just goes off on it's merry little jaunt into darkness, and until you find something else to do you remain in the dark. It's awful to feel like this and sometimes you do wish you could snap out of it but in the end your stuck.

The strains, especially for the ill and those who care from them, can get intolerable. I know, I'm still in the nightmare. Many, like myself, are exhausted both physically and mentally. Big shout out to @vapesmarter for bringing this up.
This country now as a massive ticking time bomb. Thousands on the very edge.
You know what. If someone says " man up" to me, I'll pull their nose out through their arse.

Many years ago I was in that dark space, I used to describe it as a giant black cloud sitting on my shoulders which I couldn't push away. My GP was amazing and I would be in with her and the waiting room was full and she listened to me and never tried to rush me out of the door. My work mates used to check my work before it went out as it was important that it was correct as it was to do with patients coming to outpatient clinics. I didn't know they were doing this until much later when the meds kicked in and I felt a lot better. I am lucky as I am not on meds now and haven't been for a long time but I know what a horrible place it is to be under that dark heavy cloud.

Not had any alcohol for 6 or 7 years but found with that i went into even darker places so alcohol was a no no for me, i like to keep busy but as you say, when you finish your mind just goes off on it's merry little jaunt into darkness, and until you find something else to do you remain in the dark. It's awful to feel like this and sometimes you do wish you could snap out of it but in the end your stuck.

Have you tried acceptance, something my psychologist discussed with me, way back. I used to fight my depression, she said "Try accepting it (the depression), you may find that the depression will be less powerful, your depressive episodes or low moods might not last so long." I tried it and it was amazing, within weeks i wasn't constantly depressed, like I had been for the previous 30 years - since I was 10 years old, that was in 2002. 2002 was also the last time I tried to top myself, something definitely changed after that session. I also got into buddhism, yoga and meditation at the same time. Alas, due to a rotten lumbar spine 90% of the yoga has ceased to be an option, but I've stuck with the rest of it, even during long periods of sustained heavy drinking.

I think we could all do with being a bit kinder to ourselves. I know that I have had a tendency to beat myself up in the past. I think I am more accepting of myself as I get older but still, at times I still do 'punish' myself for doing things wrong and then feel guilty about it. A lot of us have these patterns and vicious circles we can't seem to get out of. It certainly doesn't help being judged by others, but most of all it doesn't help to judge yourself.

The majority of people who have tried to help me quite simply don't understand and no matter how many times you tell them something they won't get it for the simple reason they haven't been through it. Some things from my past haunt me and talking about these things just brings it all to the surface so when these people say they are trying to help you they aren't. Well that's how it is with me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom