What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Lost Control?

Mr Ripple

Legend
Labour leader demands two to three week 'circuit breaker' lockdown over half-term

Labour leader demands two to three week 'circuit breaker' lockdown over half-term https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB19Z8PI?m=en-gb&referrerID=InAppShare

Sir Keir Starmer has called for a two to three week "circuit breaker" lockdown in England as he accused the government of having "lost control" of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Labour leader urged the prime minister to "act now" and "break the cycle" of COVID-19 infections, as he warned the country could soon "sleep walk into a long and bleak winter".
He said a "temporary set of clear and effective restrictions" could be introduced to coincide with the October half-term in order to "minimise disruption".

Speaking at a news conference, in response to Boris Johnson's announcement of a new three-tier system for localised coronavirus restrictions, Sir Keir said there was "no longer time to give the prime minister the benefit of the doubt".

"The government's plan simply isn't working - another course is needed," he added.

Sir Keir claimed Mr Johnson's government has "not got a credible plan to slow infections, it has lost control of the virus, and it's no longer following the scientific advice".
He highlighted how documents published on Monday night revealed the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) had recommended a "circuit breaker" lockdown three weeks ago.
Minutes from a 21 September meeting of SAGE showed that a short period of lockdown was at the top of a list of measures to be considered for "immediate introduction".
Attendees of the meeting, held on Zoom, included the government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance and England's chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty.
The minutes of the meeting were published very shortly after the prime minister had faced questions at a Downing Street news conference on Monday on his new three-tier strategy for localised restrictions.
Labour MP Rebecca Long-Bailey, a former shadow cabinet minister who was defeated by Sir Keir in the Labour leadership contest earlier this year, used a House of Commons debate on the new three-tier system earlier on Tuesday to call for a 'circuit breaker' lockdown.
She called on government ministers to "actually follow the science and bring down transmission with a short national circuit breaker and a reform to test, track, trace and isolate".
"Frankly, the pandemic strategy so far has been akin to throwing a glass of water on a chip pan fire and the government needs to change course today," she added.
Fellow Labour backbencher Sam Tarry, MP for Ilford South, wrote to Health Secretary Matt Hancock on Tuesday to call for a circuit breaker lockdown across London.

Last edited:
He's a cunt

My ears were burning.

I do like Starmer but I do get fed up with political whining without actually helping or offering credible solutions, too much time is wasted bickering in Parliament, I couldn't believe all the wasted resources in the opposition not being used at the start of all this, a simple coalition to outsource PPE within the UK would have helped a bit and I'm sure there's more that could be achieved if they put their wasted minds to it.

Boris seems out of his depth but there's a pool of clever people wasting their time in all parties.

Damn, I try to avoid politics, who want's a 2nd hand soapbox?

Lost Control.jpg

Why is he a cunt?

Because he is a pure establishment man.
Because he won't risk any backlash by seeking real change or social justice.
Because he undermines others' attempts at obtaining social justice by sacking them (Long-Bailey, Nadia Whittome), whipping them and dismissing them as "wanting to turn the clock back"
Because he was complicit in covering up the murder of de Menezes.
Because he seems to model himself on Tony Blair, and probably considers the man "a success"

Not any worse than many politicians I suppose. But as leader of the LP, and as somebody who should be supporing and promoting their principles, he stinks.

Why is he a cunt?

coz Starmer abstains on the recent votes
(agree somewhat to: Never interrupt your enemy whilst they are making a mistake saying)

He & most of his party abstain on extending powers & rule of six...
Then a few days later request evidence based upon the rule of six effectiveness

NO YOU TOOL - you should have asked that BEFORE the vote which you abstained

It is classic politics - abstain
Well I didn't vote for it
(if it all goes to shit)

Well I supported the government (by not voting against it)
(if it all works out OK)

Somebody yesterday was saying how Starmer tore Boris a new one...
and I was saying reading between the lines of what he is saying Starmer wants
MORE MEASURES IMPLEMENTED VERY SWIFTLY

But yeah - it is politics the world over
rather than actually get involved or vote to ensure ALL MP's vote for decisions
(that would then come back to bite them how they actually voted)

It is easier to shirk or swerve decisions and just criticise the current action
even though you had the chance to vote and get involved with cross party measures

Now if Starmer wants to speak to those in the North and maybe Andy Burnham
I don't think they are all singing from the same page

TBH - don't think many (if any) of the 650 MP's have a fucking clue
and in usual political style it is just stay under the radar, avoid getting involved
then as per usual - just blame everybody else

Starmer's plan I think...

reboot.png

Now me...

i-used-to-be-indecisive-but-now-i-m-not-so-sure.png

which is referenced to many including Tommy Cooper...
they ya go all sorted like that...

2019-02-13-just-like-that.gif

or it might be like that

Starmer is walking a tight rope, the inevitable consequence of political expediency. It's a time of national crisis and the country wants unity, bickering from the sidelines is not a good look, is not popular, so he gets behind government policy until ... popular opinion suggests that he should be opposing and there's a crack of light between scientific opinion and cabinet policy. Has he picked the right time to start opposing Boris? Can he go back to the previous position?

For me, both Brexit and Covid are issues bigger than party politics, where the national interest rather than party interests should take precedence. As threats to the country they should be served by a government of national unity as we would have in any war situation. These are war situations. The country is crying out for unity but politicians play politics, they're self-serving by nature, making a buck for themselves and their cronies whilst the economyu goes to shit and people die.

If Theresa May had formed a cross-party, best in class, multidisciplinary committee to negotiate the withdrawal we'd have had no such problems with parliament voting against her proposal three times; we would not have been held to ransome by the DUP. Instead of that she couldn't even bring her own party along with it. If Boris had tackled covid by letting a cross party group manage SAGE etc., we wouldn't need an opposition party trying to justify their seat on a bench.

The political system is no longer fit for purpose and social media is being manipulated by bad actors to further polarise opinions and close down minds.

The answer is obvious - retire and have a cup of tea, tell your kids they're fucked. Send them down the shops and stay home, Fuck masks! Fuck Tories, fuck Labour, fuck 'em all. Yes, another scone please ...

Back
Top Bottom