What's new

lateral flow tests

vapesmarter

Mod Maker
I did my training in lateral flow tests tonight

LFT equals Lateral flow test aka rapid (ish) test

PCR is the antigen test you send off to a lab polymerise chain reaction

ok so you do an LFT, the system is, log on to the government website use the number on the box full PPE take the swab, admin in the mouth at the back and in the nose (gag a lot as the swab is not soft) then add 6 drops of the indicator at room temperature (NOT FRIDGE) to the swab in a vile get the LFT test out, add 2 drops from the vile onto the indicator then wait 25 mins (30 mins the test is void) the line or lines will show like a pregnancy test one line will reach a "C" marker if another reaches the "T" marker and you have 2 lines its a positive if its just one-line your negative on the "C" if you get one line on The "T" it means inconclusive

but

whilst you wait for the LFT you do a PCR test so same thing above but the swab goes in a vile sealed in a bag sealed in box security sealed and sent to the lab with the unique code that you log onto to a separate PCR government website

the reason is the LFT is....... it's not as accurate about 60% to 76% hence why you do a PCR test at the same time

but

fun times .......if the LFT test is positive though you have to do a specific PCR test that is designed for positive LFT test so you bin the other PCR test kit and do the proper one.

if you're positive from an LFT you go home go directly home don't collect £200 and don't pass Go....... wait for the PCR test result in 24 to 48 hrs time

I hope you followed that children questions to the above will be asked in class tomorrow

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun 30 minutes you aren't getting back. Since I've been stuck in the house unable to walk for the last ten months I think I'll pass.

had to go and get a covid test last night in a makeshift drive through looked like something out of a movie i had to swab the back of my throat where your tonsils are or should be then ram it up me nose until slight pressure is felt (was supposed to blow my nose beforehand but nothing given to blow it with and had no tissues on me) not given any hand sanitiser either :confused: like you say the swabs are not soft feels very sctatchy then dumped it in a 3/4 full vile of pink liquid chucked it in a bag with a swab incase the vile leaked sealed the bag up opened up the window and chucked it in a box that was full to the brim of other peoples tests, now waiting for results not done in a sterile enviroment and definatley not at room temperature sounds to me like the results will be void as there is no way it could have been checked within 25 mins :confused:

IMG_20210114_012934.jpg
IMG_20210114_013006.jpg
IMG_20210114_012951.jpg
IMG_20210114_013021.jpg

Last edited:
had to go and get a covid test last night in a makeshift drive through looked like something out of a movie i had to swab the back of my throat where your tonsils are or should be then ram it up me nose until slight pressure is felt (was supposed to blow my nose beforehand but nothing given to blow it with and had no tissues on me) not given any hand sanitiser either :confused: like you say the swabs are not soft feels very sctatchy then dumped it in a 3/4 full vile of pink liquid chucked it in a bag with a swab incase the vile leaked sealed the bag up opened up the window and chucked it in a box that was full to the brim of other peoples tests, now waiting for results not done in a sterile enviroment and definatley not at room temperature sounds to me like the results will be void as there is no way it could have been checked within 25 mins :confused:

View attachment 236946 View attachment 236947 View attachment 236948 View attachment 236949
I had a test yesterday and was surprised on how easy it was to book on line.
Went on the website around 08:45 was booked in for 10:30.
Got negative results this morning at 06:30 so back to work.
Have you had your results back yet?

I had a test yesterday and was surprised on how easy it was to book on line.
Went on the website around 08:45 was booked in for 10:30.
Got negative results this morning at 06:30 so back to work.
Have you had your results back yet?

Got em earlier mate negative but am still self isolating till tues weds next week

are these lateral flow tests useless @vapesmarter ? can there also be false negatives? if so it makes you wonder what the point is.

they are not 100 percent but it’s the time that’s the thing there figures vary how accurate some say 60% some say 76% there is some debate over false negatives but using the pcr test it means it’s an extra layer of protection due to the waiting time of 24 to 48hrs but any test is only as good as the the tester administrating the test.

I do know one person who had the blood antibody test he proved positive but showed no symptoms didn’t have a positive pcr test and was not ill not even a headache but he still had the virus the antibody test will tail off after 30days so the guy must of had the virus with no symptoms in the previous months

Back
Top Bottom