What's new

KABLOOM!

Everything has been going nuts in all the gardens I work in. Can't keep up.
Perfect weather this week isn't it. Used to hate the weeks of sunshine and showers when I looked.after a property. Grass needed mowing twice a week, deadheading and weeding never ended. Just a big cycle of nothing else getting done. It did take me a full day on a John deere tractor mower just to cut the grass let alone edge it.
I've gone full scent garden here as four dogs can be stinky especially when Dave the lab pee 's like a firehoze.
Nemesia wisley have been awesome during the day with heavy vanilla, the lavender has been amazing with loads of bees (and Dave with a few in his mouth), great roses and the new honeysuckle and highly scented clematis cross is about to flower. Night time has been amazing with loads of night stock. Mrs kid hasn't enjoyed the moths it's attracted though. The only slow poke this year has been the jasmine. Slow start.

Perfect weather this week isn't it. Used to hate the weeks of sunshine and showers when I looked.after a property. Grass needed mowing twice a week, deadheading and weeding never ended. Just a big cycle of nothing else getting done. It did take me a full day on a John deere tractor mower just to cut the grass let alone edge it.
I've gone full scent garden here as four dogs can be stinky especially when Dave the lab pee 's like a firehoze.
Nemesia wisley have been awesome during the day with heavy vanilla, the lavender has been amazing with loads of bees (and Dave with a few in his mouth), great roses and the new honeysuckle and highly scented clematis cross is about to flower. Night time has been amazing with loads of night stock. Mrs kid hasn't enjoyed the moths it's attracted though. The only slow poke this year has been the jasmine. Slow start.

At least I haven't had to do any watering. Looks like a good week coming up on the whole from a weather pov. Nice temps to work in.

At least I haven't had to do any watering. Looks like a good week coming up on the whole from a weather pov. Nice temps to work in.
It does Rew.
We've only a small garden here (25' x 25') so it's pretty much up together now and Mrs kids been itching to sit in it and enjoy the sun as up to now I've either been decking, paving, planting or laying artificial grass... Then it was too hot.
Hopefully this week she can sit on her lounger or swing seat while I fit out my new shed.

Did your second bomb work @Mitz ? Because of the wet, everything's growing like billy-o - there's ragwort as tall as I am! :D

Haven't planted the second lot yet. Decided to plant them next month so they come up next year instead. Been concentrating on the dozen sunflowers I'm growing instead. They're just about ready to be moved in to the ground.

I think some "weeds" look great. We've got loads of Germander speedwell which are a weed and they can take over but they're pretty so I can't bring myself to pull them all up.

A good mixture that's good for biodiversity is far more important imho than any particular designation and that includes having a few "weed" types.

I'm firmly with you, Crew. I prefer a longer, meadow type garden. The perfectly manicured look just doesn't look as inviting imho.

Haven't planted the second lot yet. Decided to plant them next month so they come up next year instead. Been concentrating on the dozen sunflowers I'm growing instead. They're just about ready to be moved in to the ground.

I think some "weeds" look great. We've got loads of Germander speedwell which are a weed and they can take over but they're pretty so I can't bring myself to pull them all up.

A good mixture that's good for biodiversity is far more important imho than any particular designation and that includes having a few "weed" types.

I'm firmly with you, Crew. I prefer a longer, meadow type garden. The perfectly manicured look just doesn't look as inviting imho.
The other thing I always have loads of as I take cuttings every year is North African geraniums.
They grow wild like nettles all over Tunisia and Morocco. Beautiful classic geranium shape and that strong attar of rose scent of you brush past them. Smells like Turkish delight all round the garden.

It does Rew.
We've only a small garden here (25' x 25') so it's pretty much up together now and Mrs kids been itching to sit in it and enjoy the sun as up to now I've either been decking, paving, planting or laying artificial grass... Then it was too hot.
Hopefully this week she can sit on her lounger or swing seat while I fit out my new shed.
I'd keep an eye on the dogs with artificial grass, it absorbs more heat from the sun than real grass and can burn paws. just in case you weren't aware already

I'd keep an eye on the dogs with artificial grass, it absorbs more heat from the sun than real grass and can burn paws. just in case you weren't aware already
It does fella, your not wrong.
during that heat wave I had to spray it once an hour (luckily it's a small area) but it does get hot.

So cool mate! Good to see people respecting the bees and understanding how important they are! You've got my support!

Back
Top Bottom