What's new

J&J vaccine paused over blood clots

Was half asleep but pretty sure I caught a headline earlier saying it's been paused in Europe and S.A. as well.

with AZ ... the numbers are so small compared to the sheer enormity of the people that have been vaccinated ... im certain its no more an issue than any other Vaccines possible side effects.

with AZ ... the numbers are so small compared to the sheer enormity of the people that have been vaccinated ... im certain its no more an issue than any other Vaccines possible side effects.
This is a an incredibly specific issue tho. It's not just a blood clot but a very specific type of blood clot and it's also coupled with a low platelet count so it's not just a blood clot all on its own. Yes, the odds of getting it are incredibly small and, yes, people should still get vaccinated whilst following all the evolving guidelines but any avoidable death should obviously be avoided so awareness and research in to this issue is incredibly important especially if annual boosters are going to become a thing. It seems it's caused by the immune response and if no cases of cvst plus low platelets is seen in the Pfizer vaccine then they clearly should be finding out why one causes such a response and the other doesn't. Vaccines should be as safe as possible and if research can lead to tweaks that improve safety then that can only be a good thing. In the meantime people should follow the guidance and continue being vaccinated as the odds are still minuscule and the benefits for most far outweigh any potential side effects. People shouldn't be worrying themselves about it but they should be doing everything they can to understand it and, if possible, avoid it in the future. Or at least mitigate against it with adequate knowledge, detection and treatment.

IMHO.

This is a an incredibly specific issue tho. It's not just a blood clot but a very specific type of blood clot and it's also coupled with a low platelet count so it's not just a blood clot all on its own. Yes, the odds of getting it are incredibly small and, yes, people should still get vaccinated whilst following all the evolving guidelines but any avoidable death should obviously be avoided so awareness and research in to this issue is incredibly important especially if annual boosters are going to become a thing. It seems it's caused by the immune response and if no cases of cvst plus low platelets is seen in the Pfizer vaccine then they clearly should be finding out why one causes such a response and the other doesn't. Vaccines should be as safe as possible and if research can lead to tweaks that improve safety then that can only be a good thing. In the meantime people should follow the guidance and continue being vaccinated as the odds are still minuscule and the benefits for most far outweigh any potential side effects. People shouldn't be worrying themselves about it but they should be doing everything they can to understand it and, if possible, avoid it in the future. Or at least mitigate against it.

IMHO.
I agree with all of the above

I also have concerns that people will not get the vaccine because of the media coverage of said issue (not that I think it should be blocked or anything) I hope the media continues to present it in a balanced way. rather than the sensationalist way they normally present things.

Other Vaccines have side effects .. some quite bad - they do not get this coverage - its just accepted.

I hate the thought of ANY weaponry or justification being given to the Anti-Vaxxer banana cakes brigade to play with ... which Im already seeing happening.

I agree with all of the above

I also have concerns that people will not get the vaccine because of the media coverage of said issue (not that I think it should be blocked or anything) I hope the media continues to present it in a balanced way. rather than the sensationalist way they normally present things.

Other Vaccines have side effects .. some quite bad - they do not get this coverage - its just accepted.

I hate the thought of ANY weaponry or justification being given to the Anti-Vaxxer banana cakes brigade to play with ... which Im already seeing happening.
Agreed. The media coverage leaves an awful lot to be desired for. Thankfully, most Brits seem to understand the overarching benefits of vaccination and they do largely listen to the scientists and health professionals. Europe on the other hand is going to struggle really badly for some time I think after the onslaught from the EU and some European leaders. Let's just hope Pfizer can step up and meet the increasing EU demand. At least nothing will go to waste. I'm sure Covax will happily and gratefully receive any spare doses unwanted by any nation's population.

Back
Top Bottom