What's new

Israel finds BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine reduces virus transmission

Mitz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Israel finds BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine reduces virus transmission

Health ministry data show shot is 89% effective at preventing infection of any kind

The data offer hope that those immunised will also help to stem the spread of infection.

The Covid-19 vaccine made by BioNTech and Pfizer has been highly effective at preventing infection in Israel, according to the first real-world data showing that vaccination stops transmission of the virus.

The results gathered by Israel’s health ministry, and seen by the Financial Times, showed that the vaccine was 89 per cent effective at preventing infection of any kind and 94 per cent effective against symptomatic infection.

The new data — which has not yet been peer reviewed — provide the first real-world demonstration of the vaccine’s effectiveness and offers hope that those immunised will also help to stem the spread of infection.

The initial clinical trial run by BioNTech and Pfizer found the vaccine was 95 per cent effective in preventing disease, but the real world data provide more insight.

The study was conducted in the three weeks to February 6, during which the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine was the only shot available in Israel. At the end of that period, more than 27 per cent of all people in the country over the age of 15 were fully vaccinated.

Among those hospitalised in a severe or critical condition during the study 4.4 per cent had received both shots and 5.7 per cent of those who died from the disease were fully vaccinated. Overall, the vaccine was 93 per cent effective against preventing hospitalisation and death.

During the study period, the B.1.1.7 variant first discovered in the UK was the dominant strain in Israel, found in more than 81 per cent of Covid-19 test samples. As such, the results bolster previous laboratory findings that the jab is highly effective against the B.1.1.7 strain.

It comes after a lab study published earlier this week found that the vaccine was far less potent against 501.V2, the variant that was first discovered in South Africa.

Israel signed a deal with Pfizer to get more doses in exchange for studying its population, as it gets vaccinated. The country has administered doses to more than 78 people per 100 residents, one of the highest rates in the world, according to the FT vaccination tracker.

In a further boost for the BioNTech/Pfizer shot, the companies said this week that their vaccine no longer needs to be kept at ultra-low temperatures, making it easier to distribute to doctors’ clinics, pharmacies and more remote regions.

Stability data, which the companies are submitting to regulators around the world, show the vaccine can now be kept at normal medical freezer temperatures of between minus 15C to minus 25C for up to two weeks, compared with the previous required storage conditions of between minus 60C and minus 80C.

https://amp.ft.com/content/2626ec05-5bc5-4121-afc4-be62c29c4894

its interesting reading I read the report the other day at work the main eyeopener for me was that within the first 8 days the transmission rate was double than of a person not having the vaccine we discussed this and the general opinion was that possible people could be more vulnerable to infection from covid or they dropped there guard as in "I've had the vaccine I'm safe" but on week 4 and 5 protection from moderate to severe covid was 90% effective how long this protection will last is the only downside I think about 5 to 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom