What's new

Ice Rink Gives Dying Dog One Last Chance to Play in Snow

Mitz

Super Moderator
Staff member
A dying dog was able to play in the snow for a final time after a Utah ice rink delivered buckets of snow to her home—bringing joy to the winter-loving pup in its final hours.

Marianna Wilson and Elijah Saltzgaber were heartbroken when they made the difficult decision to put down dog 11-year-old Maggie after a battle with cancer.

All her life Maggie loved to be in the snow, and the pair weren’t prepared to let her go without giving her one last weekend of wintery pleasure.

This included lots of her favourite meals, camping, and belly rubs—but they had no idea how they wound get hold of some snow in September.

Until Salt Lake County Ice Center answered their pleas and transported buckets of ice shavings over to their home for Maggie to play in once last time.

A spokesperson said: “It’s not always about skates and hockey pucks at County Ice Center.

“Today was a bitter sweet day, as we had an opportunity to help make a difference for a very special dog, Maggie.

“This morning we filled bins, buckets, and the back of the van with ice shavings from the rink.

“Maggie enjoyed her last morning with her two favorite things, snow and her owners.”

Here at GNN, we’re so glad Maggie was given such a special final day—and all thanks to local good samaritans.

So Sad, I am in a similar situation with my 15 year old Staffie Jess. Her back legs have almost gone but i can't put her down. I suffer with Depression and she has helped me through it so many times. She's not suffering so will let her plod on. She sleeps most of the time so not an issue really.

So Sad, I am in a similar situation with my 15 year old Staffie Jess. Her back legs have almost gone but i can't put her down. I suffer with Depression and she has helped me through it so many times. She's not suffering so will let her plod on. She sleeps most of the time so not an issue really.

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel for you. Ultimately, it's for you and your vet to decide when the time is right. The bottom line is doing whatever is right by them whenever that time comes.

Putting a dog to sleep is incredibly painful and hard. Aside from family dogs when growing up I've only had one dog who was mine. Having him put to sleep 2 years ago at home whilst holding his head in my hands is without question the most painful decision I've ever had to make and it's put me off owning another dog ever again. Doing it once was enough to last me a lifetime. I honestly have no idea how people go out and get one dog after another.

Having the time to make those last few days extra special, like in the OP, is awesome tho. Especially when other people step up to help make it possible.

Last edited:
I have had 3 dogs die in my arms it isn't easy losing a friend. I take comfort in the fact we gave them the best life we could. We have never had a single dog 2 sometimes 3 at a time. I still get upset when I think about them passing but not when I think about all the dumb arse stuff they all did.
I have given my last dog to my niece. When the wife died earlier this year I would have to have left her for 9 -10 hours a day that was a horrible logical choice

Stuff like this breaks me, as a dog owner/lover, and a big softy!

Back
Top Bottom