What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

German police used a tracing app to scout crime witnesses

Crewella

Olympian
I thought this was interesting:

German police used a tracing app to scout crime witnesses. Some fear that’s fuel for covid conspiracists.

Authorities in Germany are under fire for tracking down witnesses to a potential crime by using data from a mobile phone app that was intended to help identify close contacts of people infected with the coronavirus.

Police in the city of Mainz, near Frankfurt, successfully petitioned local health authorities to release data from an app called Luca when a man fell to his death after leaving a restaurant in November. They said they were seeking witnesses who had dined at the restaurant around the same time and reportedly found 21 people from the app data.

The apparent misuse of the data has been criticized by privacy advocates, who fear that such sensitive information will be used for non-pandemic-control purposes. The incident is also likely to provide fodder for vaccine doubters, some of whom have taken on a broader anti-government stance, and those who believe coronavirus-related conspiracy theories.

Luca is subject to Germany’s strict data-protection regulations and, by law, information from the app cannot be accessed by non-health authorities and used in criminal prosecutions. The app stores the user’s personal details and uses QR codes to record how long they’ve spent at a location. The information is encrypted to obscure any personal information, according to Culture4life, the company that developed the app, and can only be decrypted by health authorities if someone at a venue is infected.

Culture4life said it received requests from law enforcement for data from Luca “almost every day” and that it always declined because it did not have the ability to access tracing information. “In this case, the health department probably simulated an infection under pressure or requests from the police and obtained the consent of the company [the restaurant] to provide the data,” the organization said.

Rest here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/13/german-covid-contact-tracing-app-luca/

Not a conspiracy but thin end of wedge twattish behaviour from authorities which is unacceptable.

the interesting thing is where it said the company get endless requests from the police, which are always refused. and in this instance they had to simulate a positive case to get the data. makes you wonder what kind of leverage the cops might have somehow had.

personally i don’t really care about it, i think it’s doubtful this would happen here (in scotland) but obviously it’s possible. i don’t have anything in particular to hide, so it doesn’t worry me. (that’s not to say people shouldn’t be concerned about government intrusion into privacy if they have nothing to hide, of course, it’s just my own personal feeling about it).

Not a conspiracy but thin end of wedge twattish behaviour from authorities which is unacceptable.
Exactly. I don't tend to believe in conspiracies, but I do believe in opportunism and stupidity. :20:

Since it's Germany, I'm going with pliers to the toenails or a blow-job. :)

8a2e5799b81a66d1beb94014c4b50097f8a94a7e.gifv

........... sorry @zouzounaki ........... but I'm not sure Scotland would be immune to that ............. :D

no i’m not sure either but i do suspect heath services here would be less likely to capitulate to pressure from the polis. or maybe not even less likely. it seems like this is an unusual isolated incident, from how the article is written.

no i’m not sure either but i do suspect heath services here would be less likely to capitulate to pressure from the polis. or maybe not even less likely. it seems like this is an unusual isolated incident, from how the article is written.
....... but the requests from the police (who should know better?) were not unusual. :19:

Back
Top Bottom