What's new

Endemic covid

zouzounaki

Olympian
so it seems the consensus of the experts now is that herd immunity is impossible because of delta variant, covid will become endemic, everyone will be exposed to it and variants even more transmissible may appear. free mass testing will most likely end. so i would say, keep wearing your mask, take some vitamin d and if you haven’t been yet get yourself round the vaccinators to make your encounter as easy as it can be. :)

Fine, apart from perhaps, the end of free mass testing :hmm: I don't fancy a booster btw.

i can understand the rationale. they’ll only test where it’s clinically useful, ie when people are unwell as they do with flu. no point knowing how many people are infected if it’s just going to be allowed to run rampant and we are all going to catch it eventually, which is what seems likely.

in the video he says germany have already announced ending free mass testing.

from what i understand, once it becomes endemic it hangs about at it’s current level of pathology for about 3 years then fades away and becomes similar to the common cold? presumably because everybody has had it by then. but does that mean we do reach herd immunity rventually, but mostly by infection rather than the vaccines?

i can understand the rationale. they’ll only test where it’s clinically useful, ie when people are unwell as they do with flu. no point knowing how many people are infected if it’s just going to be allowed to run rampant and we are all going to catch it eventually, which is what seems likely.

in the video he says germany have already announced ending free mass testing.
Yep - I read this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...evels-key-covid-yardstick-sources-2021-08-23/

It's interesting, according to Worldometer they were already testing far less than the UK?

ScreenHunter 751.png

Yep - I read this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...evels-key-covid-yardstick-sources-2021-08-23/

It's interesting, according to Worldometer they were already testing far less than the UK?

View attachment 253806

i think they will stop the testing here soon. if the experts are right and it’s here to stay it seems pointless and only really serves to keep everybody freaked out about it. at this point it’s surely vaccine refusers who are at the biggest risk.

The teachers and teaching unions won't like it (the end of free mass testing), they'll resort to wild speculation. I suppose the true state of covid will be in the hospitalisations and deaths?

i think they will stop the testing here soon. if the experts are right and it’s here to stay it seems pointless and only really serves to keep everybody freaked out about it. at this point it’s surely vaccine refusers who are at the biggest risk.
And the poor sods who either can't be vaccinated or for whom it doesn't work. :(

But they can still gauge from hospitalisation tests and figures, I guess?

The teachers and teaching unions won't like it (the end of free mass testing), they'll resort to wild speculation. I suppose the true state of covid will be in the hospitalisations and deaths?

it seems this is the way it needs to be thought about now given that the vaccines can’t fully prevent transmission any more.

Back
Top Bottom