What's new

End of lockdown

bergkamp

Achiever
the end of lockdown is here , well it isn't but it might as well be . I got a phone call this morning saying we are going back to work next week . I work for a firm of high end window installers .We travel all over the country to fit , how the fuck is that essential and what exactly has changed since the beginning of April when we were furloughed ?
B and q opening more stores everyday , builders merchants opening back up . Yet the government advice is still stay at home.

So what a total waste of time this lockdown has been when companies are deciding when its ending by dragging people back to work and risking a second wave of infections.

Anybody else being called back ?

I've never stopped working. The government said work from home unless you can't. It didn't say all businesses should shut I'm afraid. They only forbid places such as restaurants and pubs etc which meant large gatherings of people.

the end of lockdown is here , well it isn't but it might as well be . I got a phone call this morning saying we are going back to work next week . I work for a firm of high end window installers .We travel all over the country to fit , how the fuck is that essential and what exactly has changed since the beginning of April when we were furloughed ?
B and q opening more stores everyday , builders merchants opening back up . Yet the government advice is still stay at home.

So what a total waste of time this lockdown has been when companies are deciding when its ending by dragging people back to work and risking a second wave of infections.

Anybody else being called back ?
I saw this in the FT - not just them, it seems:

https://www.ft.com/content/64e61a74-63a6-4c1a-9ca4-00274067834f

Ironically diy stores & takeaways were allowed to stay open but most shut to work out the best way to social distance customers. Repairs & work on houses also wasn't stopped as long as social distancing & hygene practises could be maintained. Getting washers to repair a leaking tap would be seen as a justified reason to go to b&q, especially if vunerable people made up the household.

I've been working from home throughout but friends who work for various companies have all said that they have been told to go back to work on Monday. So we can look forward to an increase in cases shortly if all these people are going back to work as I've been told there is no way some of these employers will stick remotely close to distancing measures.

I’ve not heard anything about going back to work yet. Our rota starts on a Sunday, so if our place was re-opening I’d have heard by now (I hope). I think it’ll be June at the earliest for us - non-essential retail.

The company I work for doesn't practice social distancing, it's difficult to sometimes but not many seem to try including the boss. When he comes up to me, I step back and all he says is "oh sorry" . Fucking prick. We've even got one of the younger chaps who admits to going round his mates for some beers.

Wasn't the plan to protect the NHS, which seems to have worked, capacity is good (atm), time for some herd immunity? @oldhippydude , what do you think? you've seen the video.

Ironically diy stores & takeaways were allowed to stay open but most shut to work out the best way to social distance customers. Repairs & work on houses also wasn't stopped as long as social distancing & hygene practises could be maintained. Getting washers to repair a leaking tap would be seen as a justified reason to go to b&q, especially if vunerable people made up the household.

So will bandq be shutting their homeware and garden sections ? I think not .
There is no way at work we can social distance , for starters you have 2 or 3 fitters in a van and some of the windows we fit take 7 or 8 blokes to lift. Building site toilets are a hazrd at the best of times and very rarely have running water.
It just seems so pointless for us all to have followed the rules for a month to throw it all away before we are in a position to say we are on top of it.

So will bandq be shutting their homeware and garden sections ? I think not .
There is no way at work we can social distance , for starters you have 2 or 3 fitters in a van and some of the windows we fit take 7 or 8 blokes to lift. Building site toilets are a hazrd at the best of times and very rarely have running water.
It just seems so pointless for us all to have followed the rules for a month to throw it all away before we are in a position to say we are on top of it.
B&Q had all but paint mixing/kitchen sales/timber cutting open. Staff were on hand to keep people moving throughout the store & yes garden section & hardware were open. Customer numbers were low due to queuing aka supermarket style & busy sections were marshalled by staff to prevent bottle necking. Actually felt more comfortable there than some of the supermarkets I've had to visit.

Back
Top Bottom