What's new

Do you believe a viable vaccine will be made?

Will we create a viable vaccine?

• Total voters
Still undecided whether i trust the vaccine
and would much rather they were tested on murderers and Paedos
I don't like animal testing. I think testing make-up, shampoos and the like on animals is disgusting. There's a lot of scientific research that goes on that I would also be very much against. Ultimately, I am against animal cruelty period and a lot of scientific research using animals is unjustifiably cruel. But there is a small percentage of scientific research where the benefits to humans warrants testing on animals first. A lot comes down to the ethical and humane treatment of the animals being used, IMHO. As a rule I disagree with it. But like all rules there are exceptions.

I don't LIKE animal testing. I think testing make-up, shampoos and the like on animals is disgusting. There's a lot of scientific research that goes on that I would also be very much against. Ultimately, I am against animal cruelty period and a lot of scientific research using animals is unjustifiably cruel. But there is a small percentage of scientific research where the benefits to humans warrants testing on animals first. A lot comes down to the ethical and humane treatment of the animals being used, IMHO. As a rule I disagree with it. But like all rules there are exceptions.
That’s a better thought out and less bolshy way of saying what I was saying :)

I don't like animal testing. I think testing make-up, shampoos and the like on animals is disgusting. There's a lot of scientific research that goes on that I would also be very much against. Ultimately, I am against animal cruelty period and a lot of scientific research using animals is unjustifiably cruel. But there is a small percentage of scientific research where the benefits to humans warrants testing on animals first. A lot comes down to the ethical and humane treatment of the animals being used, IMHO. As a rule I disagree with it. But like all rules there are exceptions.

The reason i asked was because i know you dont like the Milk and egg industry as it is cruel.
This is the figure for animals that are experimented on each year.
upload_2020-5-18_18-11-21.png

I dont think the majority of these are essential for the human race to survive.

i voted no

sars cov 1 (the older brother a bit nasty has convictions with violent tendencies) has been about for 14years and no vaccine

it seems odd that within 24hrs the gnome of the virus (COVID) was identified within in a week they grew this new novel virus in a lab but ok they did, to get a vaccine for such a moveable feast as this for big pharma is a loss-making thing even though the biggest killer is HIV/aids but the time is years not weeks with aids, but big pharma make the vaccine sell it, job done then what, after the Spanish flu all those companies making cold cures made a bomb on simple paracetamol and lemsip

I laughed when in the daily brief when they said "we cured smallpox" smallpox is a disease passed from human to human, not a zoological one passed from animal to human, to stop the spread we will have to vaccinate every bat, cat, lama etc

I hope there is a vaccine to stop this illness but I hope the cure is better than the illness in the past rushed vaccines gave people narcolepsy in the thousands

How do I feel about skipping animal testing or how do I feel about animal testing?

Flu vaccine cannot cause flu. The virus used is not live. The symptoms it causes are the immune response to the vaccine not the actual flu. The vaccine would be even more important for people without a spleen as the spleen helps fight infections.

They stopped development because the virus was contained. They've picked it up again and it's forming the base for some of the new vaccines.

You keep saying that even though it's totally untrue and you've been told repeatedly by multiple members. Please back up this claim you keep posting with some scientific data showing the virus mutated in to a harmless strain.
He may be getting mixed up with one of the recent flus (swine or bird I think) - didnt one of those mutate to not affect humans anymore ?

sars defo didn’t tho

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-vaccine-india-could-play-decisive-role-in-distribution/a-53486411

The Serum Institute of India (SII) is ramping up production of the Oxford vaccine candidate in anticipation of it passing trials. DW spoke with Serum's CEO Adar Poonawalla about when a vaccine could be ready.

Although the Oxford vaccine, called "ChAdOx1 nCoV-19," has not yet been proven to protect against COVID-19 infection, Serum decided to start manufacturing after it showed promise in the pre-clinical phase and progressed to human trials.

There are several indicators that the vaccine being developed by Oxford will be a good one. The technology of this vaccine has been successful before and we are hopeful this will be safe as well.

Yeah that’s it - I’m given to understand Sars is still considered a threat that can re-emerge at any time
The problem is that any of them can re-emergence. And viral reassortment means that there are new viruses still to come. We've been relatively lucky so far that the truly awful strains with 50 and 60% mortality rates have had relatively low transmissibility. If things don't change drastically it's only a matter of time before a virus with a much higher mortality rate (re) emerges that has the same capacity to spread as SARS-CoV-2. That's if we haven't already been wiped out by antibiotic resistant bacteria - yet another problem stemming from animal agriculture practices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom