What's new

Colin

Personally I think Aldi need to alter the appearance of Cuthbert a bit more
(perhaps milk chocolate face with white eyes & market it for minorities & POC or some woke crap)
Lmfffaooo
no do not make a colin in blackface for the minorities, they will not think that is woke, lololol

Lmfffaooo
no do not make a colin in blackface for the minorities, they will not think that is woke, lololol
The Germaine Greer side of me was pissed off enough with the 'Connie' pink bow, pout and bimbo expression .................... :28: :D

Aldi's Cuthbert by Holly Lane is almost an exact copy of Colin
hence Aldi are being taken to court...

The face is almost identical, white face, chocolate eyes, similar ears/antenna etc...
Yes imho it is nigh on a very close clone or copy of Colin - way closer than the others

Sainsbury's shows a number of similarities, white face chocolate eyes
but the face is different along with ears/antenna
and body has a dusting over it of sprinkles, so there are a few subtle differences over Colin

Waitrose is very similar to Sainsburys, but eyes are different

The others are not such close copies of M&S Colin, so unlikely to hold up in court

Aldi have closely copied the M&S Colin, a little too close when producing their own cheaper cake
(Think it was the cheaper price of £4:99 & it being almost a clone of Colin that M&S took action)
Unsure if say Lidl produce a caterpillar cake though, but M&S decided to action of Aldi's clone

You can see the cakes here:

Range.jpg

https://www.acumenbusinesslaw.co.uk/2021/04/16/colin-v-cuthbert-the-case-of-caterpillar-cakes/

Vaping had a similar thing with other generic juices closely copying the juice & branding of Vampire Vapes'
Heisenberg & Red Astair etc...
Though most clones had a cease & desist order, especially when using the brand name to pass off etc...

Music industry had the cases of chords being used in other songs without license/permission

Similar thing with Colin Vs Cuthbert - tbh I think the emulation is too close to claim Aldi's product
is not infringing some sort of property/design/copyright theft or claim

It's advertising all the same so both M&S & Aldi will enjoy the publicity perhaps
Personally I think Aldi need to alter the appearance of Cuthbert a bit more
(perhaps milk chocolate face with white eyes & market it for minorities & POC or some woke crap)

I'm not proud, we shop at Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Tesco, Waitrose, sometimes Sainsburys
But I wish M&S success in protecting Colin & the branding they built up (I really do)
Yet I like competition, but fair competition, often back the underdog - yet this is a bit too close imho

Nah - I'm backing M&S on this, no silly figures of settlement, just ensure Aldi alter their own product

Also M&S deliver free meal deals - sandwiches, drink, crisps etc.. on a Friday to Vaccine centres near me
(even telling other staff to pop in for it on the days off if they are passing)
so kudos to M&S when I was informed of this recently, plus imho Aldi are taking the piss a bit too closely

That is pretty close actually, I can see the grounds for the case.

If you looked at it funny it could almost be part of Aldi's marketing strategy, building a reputation for producing cheap versions that are "the same" as the big brands.

It's usually pretty obv which brands they're ripping off. Sometimes they do it quite well (ketchup for example is bob on), other times it's a shambles (aforementioned crips, pizza & beer).

I like Aldi crisps, their Monster Claws are pretty spot on for Monster Munch. The mrs gave her nephew their version of Wotsits & he called her out of them straight away

The knock off Pepsi Max is bang on & 39p for 2 litres, in Mozzers it's £1.50 for 1.5 litres

I really don't know how they get away with the chocolate bars, Titan, Jive, Seal, all of the packaging is a blatant copy

I like Aldi crisps, their Monster Claws are pretty spot on for Monster Munch. The mrs gave her nephew their version of Wotsits & he called her out of them straight away

The knock off Pepsi Max is bang on & 39p for 2 litres, in Mozzers it's £1.50 for 1.5 litres

I really don't know how they get away with the chocolate bars, Titan, Jive, Seal, all of the packaging is a blatant copy
I'm no expert but trademark and copying are different i think.

Back
Top Bottom