What's new

Arkansas Doctor wipes out $650,000 debt owed by his 200 Cancer patients

Mitz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doctor Forgives $650,000 Worth Of Medical Debt For His Cancer Patients

January 2, 2021

An oncologist in Arkansas is forgiving the medical debt for nearly 200 of his patients with cancer.

lprnz-doctor-wipes-clean-medical-debt-650k-1.jpg

Dr. Omar Atiq

Dr. Omar Atiq founded the Arkansas Cancer Institute in 1991. Unfortunately, they had to close their doors earlier this year due to staffing shortages, FOX 16 reported.

Last week his clinic sent out a holiday greeting card to patients.

3p986-doctor-wipes-clean-medical-debt-650k-2.jpg

The note read:

"I hope this note finds you well. The Arkansas Cancer Clinic was proud to serve you as a patient. Although various health insurances pay most of the bills for majority of patients, even the deductibles and co-pays can be burdensome. Unfortunately, that is the way our health care system currently works.

Arkansas Cancer Clinic is closing its practice after over 29 years of dedicated service to the community. The clinic has decided to forego all balances owed to the clinic by its patients. Happy Holidays."

Dr. Atiq says this has been an especially challenging year and it brings him joy to help his patients financially.

"Being sick is hard, having cancer is harder, and having cancer in this pandemic is devastating," said Atiq.

He says the bills totaled around $650,000 and now they are wiped away.

"I love them, I care for them, and I am glad I was able to do a little bit at this point for them," said Atiq.

https://www.fox16.com/news/local-ne...s-away-cancer-patients-bills-totaling-650000/

Last edited:
Lovely story @Mitz . Am liking this 'Good Stuff' section of the forum.
Very happy to hear yours and Banjo's feedback mate. Tbth, I was starting to get a little concerned. I had hoped it would turn out to be a good idea. Something of a counter balance to the covid section but I'm not really sure why I'm the only one posting in here. @StrawberryRipple posted a couple of threads but because they were on the subject of coronavirus they were moved to the covid section. Other than that, so far it's just been me posting in here. Hoping that changes. Maybe there's just not that much positive stuff around at the moment for people to share.

Last edited:
Very happy to hear yours and Banjo's feedback mate. Tbth, I was starting to get a little concerned. I had hoped it would turn out to be a good idea. Something of a counter balance to the covid section but I'm not really sure why I'm the only one posting in here. @StrawberryRipple posted a couple of threads but because they were on the subject of coronavirus they were moved to the covid section. Other than that, so far it's just been me posting in here. Hoping that changes. Maybe there's just not that much positive stuff around at the moment for people to share.

TBH I only discovered the section today. Think it's a great idea mate. I'm sure it will pick up when people realise it's here.

TBH I only discovered the section today. Think it's a great idea mate. I'm sure it will pick up when people realise it's here.
Fingers crossed mate. :)

Just noticed Kitty's posted now too.

Back
Top Bottom