What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

App issues (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but it could have been days, or longer until the person at the PO got tested and got the positive result.

Lets say it wasn't my missus but someone at Sacred's work... and everyone in his office has been in close contact since right? I don't understand how you would know either way?
True. Maybe why they've all been pinged?

I've never been able to get out of my head the dude who tested positive almost a month after getting the virus. And now this person who tested negative, quarantined for 2 weeks to travel and then tested positive on arrival in New Zealand. Can't help but feel the isolation period is totally inadequate.

Edit.
Can kinda see why the app has been such a struggle to get up and running effectively. It really should ping a lot of people in a chain but many would just ignore it I reckon if it caught every potential link in the chain.

True. Maybe why they've all been pinged?

I've never been able to get out of my head the dude who tested positive almost a month after getting the virus. And now this person who tested negative, quarantined for 2 weeks to travel and then tested positive on arrival in New Zealand. Can't help but feel the isolation period is totally inadequate.

I just think it's almost impossible to track it like this .... a good amount of people never have any symptoms and never get tested and the tests are far from 100% accurate, I know they had/have to try something but it seems very flawed to me.

I just think it's almost impossible to track it like this .... a good amount of people never have any symptoms and never get tested and the tests are far from 100% accurate, I know they had/have to try something but it seems very flawed to me.
Hence why they've buried something like 20 billion? in it and it's still half useless. Nice idea but maybe just too impractical at the scale of several tens of thousands of infections a day. Might work better if it was just a few infections a day. Just ping everybody who comes close to someone or close to those people. The more potentially infected people pinged, regardless of how remote infection is, the better. Better to isolate unnecessarily than not isolate when it's necessary. For it to be truly effective anyway. But even then compliance could be an issue.

Last edited:
And now this person who tested negative, quarantined for 2 weeks to travel and then tested positive on arrival in New Zealand. Can't help but feel the isolation period is totally inadequate.
could be a false positive or a false negative at either end though. the tests are not accurate.

Hence why they've buried something like 20 billion? in it and it's still half useless. Nice idea but maybe just too impractical at the scale of several tens of thousands of infections a day. Might work better if it was just a few infections a day. Just ping everybody who comes close to someone or close to those people.

I guess it's a combination of everything.

Any idea how many people are actually using this app? ... 19 million downloads, I think? .... out of what 63 million people?

how's that going to be effective?

Any idea how many people are actually using this app? ... 19 million downloads, I think? .... out of what 63 million people?

Also, out of the 19 million downloads, how many people have had problems, and ditched it.

It's not. Dont know the numbers but that wouldn't surprise me. Pretty shocking tho. I guess a lot of people either don't trust it or they just don't want to be pinged?

Maybe our way of life and the way our "free" society functions makes sure containment is almost impossible. Too many people complaining and ignoring because of encroached personal freedoms. A problem China doesn't have to deal with.

Edit.
Add incompetence and slow decision making from inexperienced decision makers and competing interests and what chance is there? Maybe we'll have it honed in a decade or so after lots of practice.

Last edited:
Dont know the numbers but that wouldn't surprise me. Pretty shocking tho. I guess a lot of people either don't trust it or they just don't want to be pinged?

Maybe our way of life and they way our society functions makes true containment almost impossible. Too many people complaining and ignoring because of encroached personal freedoms. A problem China doesn't have to deal with.

... and of course people like my mum don't even have a phone that can use the app.

... and my phone that it won't run on.

If the government want to hand out shiny new Samsungs then I'd be happy to use it.

... and of course people like my mum don't even have a phone that can use the app.

If the government want to hand out shiny new Samsungs then I'd be happy to use it.
My wife has the new haewai p40 and because of the lack of google support she can't get the app either.

So if a chunk of people have those brands of phone that is limiting the use also, especially in younger people who are more likely to own it.

Yep, I don't have a mobile and OH's is too old. :25:

............ and we don't get a signal here anyway! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom