What's new

190-year old tortoise

rew

Olympian
_122727149_jonathan1.jpg

Meet Jonathan - the world's oldest living tortoise!

Although we don't know exactly how old Jonathan is, scientists believe he will be celebrating his 190th birthday this year.

This makes him the oldest-known living land animal.

Jonathan lives on Saint Helena, a remote island in the South Atlantic Ocean, where it's believe he arrived from the Seychelles all the way back in 1882!

Jonathan lives in the grounds of Plantation House on the island, the official residence of the Governor of St Helena.

He shares his space with three other giant tortoises - David, Emma and Fred.

A photograph taken in 1882 shows that when Jonathan was originally brought to the island he was already fully grown - which scientists say would indicate he was about 50 years of age at the time.

He has now been officially recognised by The Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living chelonian - that means the reptile group which includes all turtles, terrapins and tortoises.

We have a gifted Herman Tortoise who’s 9 years old.

they call them Will Pets because you have to pass them on in your will because they out live there owners.

Or tortoise is a vicious B@&£?!#d he will chase you and bite your feet. He will be lucky to see 10 if I’m honest unless it’s a size 10 boot!

_122727149_jonathan1.jpg

Although we don't know exactly how old Jonathan is, scientists believe he will be celebrating his 190th birthday this year.

Jonathan lives on Saint Helena, a remote island in the South Atlantic Ocean, where it's believe he arrived from the Seychelles all the way back in 1882!

Jonathan lives in the grounds of Plantation House on the island, the official residence of the Governor of St Helena.

A photograph taken in 1882 shows that when Jonathan was originally brought to the island he was already fully grown - which scientists say would indicate he was about 50 years of age at the time.

He has now been officially recognised by The Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living chelonian - that means the reptile group which includes all turtles, terrapins and tortoises.
I used to have loads of tortoises when I was a kid. But every winter they died. I didn’t know then that they hibernated. I just thought they were dead. I must of buried loads of them still alive in my mums back garden. Poor fuckers.

I used to have loads of tortoises when I was a kid. But every winter they died. I didn’t know then that they hibernated. I just thought they were dead. I must of buried loads of them still alive in my mums back garden. Poor fuckers.
Lol some friends of ours read you should put them in the fridge to hibernate.

two months later they realised they had put it in the freezer by mistake.

_122727149_jonathan1.jpg

I want to see it’s birth certificate or it’s all bollocks.

You meeeen runt! ;)

Back
Top Bottom