POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

Old enough to know better..

Discussion in 'Vaping Gamers' started by Warpig68, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Discomatt

Discomatt Achiever

Ah that takes me back. I can still hear the screechy - boing noise of the games loading. I was a spectrum kid and all my mates had commodores. I remember in the 70’s my dad bringing home a thing with paddles and switches that he plugged into the tv. That was it - hooked. Then Christmas 79 I got an Atari. I was allowed to stay up till midnight on New Year’s Eve with my Nan and I saw in the 1980’s playing space invaders.

I remember a bloke in a lawnmower shop at the back of school used to pirate spectrum and commodore games for a £1. Totally hit and miss whether they loaded or not. We used to judge the graphics of a game by the loading screen. A mate got strip poker for the commodore and we spent ages waiting for each line to load just to see a cartoon nipple.

Played most of the consoles, then got onto WOW. Ended up a raid leader for 25 mans. Litch King was the last patch I gamed and then gave up. Haven’t touched a game since aside from Simpson’s tapped out and the odd game with friends kids.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MrsAshy

MrsAshy Postman

I was a total point and click - still am. Never got the consoles draw - neither did my youngest. He's taking Game Design at unit now and has always been a total PC nut. Im rather proud of that :)
    Thank God for Steam - I can still play my old games from back in the day - Broken Swords, Siberia, Monkey Island.
    I replay a fave game every Christmas hols. Next up - Longest Journey

• Like Like x 1
  3. Biochemist

Biochemist Postman

I am 37 and gaming since the late 80s, my first machine was a NES with Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon 2, then moved to SNES and the fine RPGs of that console, then much later to a PC (as we didn't upgrade from Windows 3.1 for ages - bet that if me and my brother weren't pestering our parents to get something that could play games they'd still be using that PC).

My last gaming hurrah was with Lineage 2 (terrible terrible game, addictive like heroin and just as destructive) and then with WoW, started in mid vanilla and raided hardcore until the Lich King, then guild broke up and I drifted for a bit before quitting before Cata hit. Last incredible game I played was the Witcher 3, now waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 but sadly I have no time with gaming anymore. Even when I am on holiday and kids are at school I find I can't "get in the zone" for gaming, and I have nothing I feel like playing besides old NES/SNES emulators or minecraft, just because they are low commitment games.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jon The Vape

Jon The Vape Veteran

Lived in the arcades as a kid, 1978 onwards, when arcades were proper, full of pinball machines, and space invaders, Galaxians, and donkey Kong. Christ that was a few years ago. Just recently rebuilt my full size mame cab, full of arcade memories. Also got a full size virtual pinball machine loaded with hundreds of pinball tables.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnnyAce

JohnnyAce Achiever

I'm similar but my old man got a Master System instead of a NES, before that it was an Amstrad. My mate had a NES so I'd play Super Mario, Castlevania & Punchout round his. Then my dad moved on the Megadrive & Super NES, plus the Gameboy & Game Gear. I have my dad to thank for getting me into gaming as he loved racing & shooting games & he'd go to a second shop every Saturday & pick up a bunch of games. He's get Mean Machines & Superplay magazine for us to drool over the upcoming games, see what was any good & gets any tips to finish the games. I've many happy gaming memories from my youth, I was 10 when Super Mario Kart came out & I don't think I've ever been more excited, I had to wait 'til Christmas to get it , it felt like an eternity.

My biggest arcade memory was Street Fighter 2 coming out & going into every arcade when we were on holiday to nag my folks for money to play :D My dad even imported it from Japan for the SNES so we could play it sooner

After that, my brother got an N64 & I got a Playstation then onto PS2, XBox 360 & XBox One

I don't get much chance to game much anymore, you need a spare 7 hours to get anywhere with games nowadays but I've finished Skyrim a few times, friggin' love that game but that's about the only "recent" game I've ploughed much time in to. I just tend to play Football Manager on my laptop when I find a couple of hours.

My brother's hooked on PUBG, COD & the zombie survival type games, he's on them every spare minute he gets

I've got a Pi set up with all the old systems on & have many on laptop with a load of emulators (MAME, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube) so I have a dabble on the old systems when I get a time, was on a NES kick recently & finished Castlevania 1 & 3

I hope to hell I'm still gaming in my 50's & 60's. My dad still has a Megadrive setup & plays Hellfire & Gynog & I've tried setting him up with emulators but he just doesn't get them :D

6. Warpig68

Warpig68 Postman

I'd love to see some pictures of your cabinet and pinball sim Jon. I've been toying with doing this myself for a long time now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jon The Vape

Jon The Vape Veteran

Sure, will stick some up this week.
    Just updating artwork and lighting on the mame cab.

8. lucifah

lucifah Postman

Kids who haven't handled 5 1/4 inch floppy disks (and clipped the corner to make them double-sided!) or actual cassette tapes or cartridges to load games don't know nothing about gaming! :D
    Gaming on the mobile? Pah! Spoiled brats. Remember these?

• Like Like x 1
  9. WASD in Blue

WASD in Blue Achiever

My gran had a black bakelite rotary phone :)

• LOL LOL x 1