POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

Biggest Game You Have Had To Download ?

Discussion in 'Vaping Gamers' started by LordOdin, Sep 5, 2020.

1. ForestMagpie

ForestMagpie Veteran

Showing my age there then! Cannon Fodder more your time?
    178GB is crazy really, I know games are creeping up and up in size, how long till one hits 250GB?

• Like Like x 1
  2. E-liquids.com
  3. Toastie

Toastie Achiever

Never heard of it, I don't think. I believe I started on a Sega Mega Drive, but can I hell remember any games, memory of my early childhood is non-existent pretty much. Did most of my gaming on PC's, only the last 6 year or so have I been using consoles.

The consoles are about to make the switch from 5400rpm laptop drives to fast SSD's, about bloody time too. The size will always slowly increase but I think we'll see a bump in the next year or two as the PS4 Xbox One generation is slowly fazed out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LordOdin

LordOdin Achiever

It didn't take as long as i thought, just over 4 hours. I have fast internet but the download speed is throttled by Zenimax for some reason. Anyway after a year not playing Elder Scrolls Online i was running around like an idiot, i have forgotten almost everything in the game, total nightmare return.

5. Eternal Vape
  6. oORobOo

oORobOo Postman

The Digital Version of Modern Warfare on Xbox was taking up over 190gb at one point, they did some work to reduce the file sizes but that was a complete joke, don't have it installed anymore though so no idea what it is now.

*The biggest piss take with that was PS4 and PC would get a 10gb update, it would be 85gb on Xbox, 2 weeks later PS4 and PC 2gb Xbox 60gb, 3 weeks later same again and so on, yeah don't play that shit any more lol

#14 oORobOo, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  7. ForestMagpie

ForestMagpie Veteran

Was a Commodore Amiga game from back in the day, was a cracking game.
    I dread to think how many different machines and consoles I've used to play games over the years.
    It is def about time they moved to SSD. The new Gen will bring with it new increased games sizes but quicker machines capable of faster downloads and installs.

8. oORobOo

oORobOo Postman

I don't really think it's going to be much different to how it is now given the size of the SSDs they are installing, you can already connect external SSDs up to 16TB on the xbox (got a 1 TB for my Xbox) does actually speed it up a lot but it's still just extra stuff you're gonna have to buy and plug in, especially with the larger game sizes. Can only imagine how big games like GTA6 etc are gonna end up...

Still game streaming will probs be in a pretty good spot in 5 years so won't have to worry about all this nonsense then haha

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toastie

Toastie Achiever

I had heard about that, I just couldn't remember how big it was. Haven't played any COD since number 4, back on PC.

The main thing is the amount of data they can stream whilst playing, going to make a big difference. Had it on PC's for years but most games don't take full advantage because they had to worry about the console versions. Usually you'd get faster loading times, less pop in and could potentially eliminate streaming stutter in open world games.

Depends if your bottleneck was your download speed or your hard drive transfer speed. Saying that, that might not be an issue depending on how fast these drives are, I forget the specs.

I remember watching Linus setup 10 Gigabit networking and then download games with it, hard drive became a bottleneck.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Toastie

Toastie Achiever

You can, and I have an SSD in my PS4, internal Samsung 860 Evo I believe, installed it when my original failed.

However, the data is still carried through older SATA, due to the way they've routed it, so you have a bottleneck there. Also, the SSD's coming in these new consoles are a lot quicker than the one I have for example. The same SSD attached to a PC would be faster, due to the stupid way they designed it, I think Digital Foundry did an article explaining it. To give them credit though, SSD's were not a thing when these were developed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ForestMagpie

ForestMagpie Veteran

I suspect GTA6 will be an absolute monster and probably be pushing 200GB at least.
    I looked at getting an external SSD for my PS4 but in the end mine seems to run just fine for what I need it for and never had any issues, just the download speeds are a pain and the PS4 is def the issue as I'm cabled up with 200mb/s fibre. Will see what the PS5 brings when I get one, what I really need first is a new TV tbh!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toastie

Toastie Achiever

Also worth noting, unlike a PC where any upgrade will see improvement. The console is a closed system, with the specs defined, the games are not coded to take advantage of the increased streaming bandwidth, you get better load times, that is all. That's the reason any games that are backwards compatible with the new consoles will need to be patched to run problerly on day one and take advantage of the hardware.

Watch this, especially the end where she's flying at speed through the environment.

The more detail, the more data has to be streamed on the fly in an open world, especially moving at that speed. That in my opinion is the biggest leap for this coming generation, that and finally getting a decent CPU in these consoles. Sadly the CPU is the PS4 and Xbox One was laughable the day they released.