What's new

Review XTAR PB2C

BigCloud

Veteran
i was sent this for review from iris @XTAR sorry its taken a while but ive been using it constantly as its my only means of testing to make sure its a solid charger,cant use something once or twice and say its good.

The Xtar PB2C packaging is as simple as it gets, it’s a clear plastic cover with a cardboard back and has most of the information on the rear of the packaging. There is a simple multi language manual included . You will get the PB2C and a USB-A(3) to USB-C cable.

i was sent the sky blue version but is also available in orange.

element.png

Specs

Input 5v 2.1A
Constant Current 2A X 1 / 1A X 2
USB Output 5V 2.1A
End of charge voltage 4.20 +/- 0.05V
End of charge current <180 mA
Operating Temp 0-40 Celcius

Protection

Intelligent anti reverse protection
Overcharge protection
Short circuit protection
Over voltage protection
Over current protection

The Xtar PB2C is made from hard plastic which is in flame retardant and fire resistant,The top lid is held on with magnets which snap the lid into place they are nice and strong i gave it a good shake and it stayed in place. There is a small cut out on either side of the body to make it easy to remove the lid.

On the inside of the lid you have the input and output specs as well as the units model and serial number.
You will see the Polarity and charging rates along with battery insertion direction in the battery sled itself.
Both go positive up

XTAR2 (2).jpg

The Batteries are held in place with springs on one end and tabs on the other.
There is a ribbon pull to make Battery removal easy.

IMG_3605.JPG

You will see 4 small white LED`s at the top of the charger, that are used to power it on and for charging and discharging status and if you insert a battery or both the wrong way round you will get an error all 4 will blink and not charge.
When it is charging all four leds will begin to blink one by one in sequence as the batteries gain more charge, 25% one LED stays solid 50% two, 75% three, when all four are solid batteries are fully charged

IMG_3598.JPG

The PB2C is small and compact weighs 58.8g empty and 150g with two batteries it is 110mm in length 50mm wide and 25mm in depth as it only fits 18650 batteries and doesn’t have a display unlike the PB2S which will take 18650 20700 21700`s.

As a Powerbank it only works via the USB-A slot. The USB-C connector is input only.
The powerbank function can be used while the charger is charging batteries, with it primarily powering the device off the USB input rather then discharging the batteries.
Depending on which battery you use in powerbank mode you can get up to 6000mAh sufficent to charge your phone.

As a charger If you are only charging one battery charging speed will be 1A, Two will be up to 2A. If the batteries inserted have different power levels, the lower voltage cell will charge first till they are equal and then it will charge both batteries,protecting them from overcharging.
Will take all 18650 whether they are button tops / flat / protected / unprotected.

i have been using this daily to charge Sony VTC5A`s and via USB 3 it takes 3 hours and 51 minutes

Pro’s

Charges all 18650 Batteries
Not expensive
simple to use
well built
multiple protections
can be used as a powerbank or charger
compact/small
flame retardent / fire resistant

Cons

USB-C can only be used for charging
No plug adapter supplied

Verdict

This is a basic small compact well built charger/powerbank with loads of features at an affordable price if you only need to charge 18650 batteries,great little charger.

great review. thanks, only missing a link to a uk supplier ;)

"The powerbank function can be used while the charger is charging batteries, with it primarily powering the device off the USB input rather then discharging the batteries."

Very interesting? do you have the capacity to measure the current/voltage of the output while charging power is switched on/off to ascertain if it remains stable?

I ask as if so this could provide a CHEAP and off the shelf psu/ups for 5v rasperrypi/arduino projects..

great review. thanks, only missing a link to a uk supplier ;)

"The powerbank function can be used while the charger is charging batteries, with it primarily powering the device off the USB input rather then discharging the batteries."

Very interesting? do you have the capacity to measure the current/voltage of the output while charging power is switched on/off to ascertain if it remains stable?

I ask as if so this could provide a CHEAP and off the shelf psu/ups for 5v rasperrypi/arduino projects..

sorry mate like i said i can only test using it on the daily constantly no other means of testing current/voltage drops etc
i couldnt find any uk vendors that have these in stock fella but have seen them on Amazon

Cheers, had to ask just in case ;) next time im late night amazon browsing..

@fil , i can do a measurement for you you if you want. power an arduino and a wemos and see how it behaves . for small draw like arduino i guess it will be fine. but for raspberry pi not sure . i don't have one now to test but with a smartphone charging i noticed drops to 4.8v and not sure how happy a raspy will be.

@fil , i can do a measurement for you you if you want. power an arduino and a wemos and see how it behaves . for small draw like arduino i guess it will be fine. but for raspberry pi not sure . i don't have one now to test but with a smartphone charging i noticed drops to 4.8v and not sure how happy a raspy will be.

Hi - Many thanks but i have found one on amazon for just over a tenner and fancied a punt ;) a reasonably sized powerbank fitted with 2x quality 18650 cells is always handy even if its only a safe/ multifunction.. battery holder for vape batteries on the go.. will report back if suitable for pi- psu/ups but wont hold my breath ;)

Powerbank has been Delivered (less than 18 hours from clicking buy!!)

And initial tests suggest its a-ok as an off the shelf psu/ups for a headless Pi-0-W!!..

lets just see how it handles being plugged into power 24/7?

Back
Top Bottom