What's new

Review my first tobacco concentrates from flavourart reviews

tifrap

Today was my first attempt at mixing my own e-liquid so I thought I'd share the results with you.
I got my first batch of concentrates from Flavourart a few days ago and have been itching to try them, but a disgusting hasty mix made me realise that you really need to set aside some time and space to relax into the mix. So i did just that today.

I got 6 flavours and some traditional nicotine base (thats what flavourart calls a 50/50 pg/vg base).
I decided to dilute the base with vg only and so diluted my boots bottle of vegetable glycerin BP with gin (Tanquerays) to get the right viscosity (I like the slightly floral flavour gin adds to the vg).
So all of my mixes are pg at 25% and vg at 75% with flavour at around 10% on top of that.

You should bear in mind that none of these have been steeped at all yet - I may update this when they have sat for a while.

Like a lot of others on the forum I was after a good approximation of golden virginia hand rolling tobbacco, but have learned that it is unlikely to happen, so am looking for a flavour that is reminiscent enough of the smokes that I have loved for nearly 40 years. either that or something that isn't trying to be a cake or a drink or a sandwich, but is bearable as an all day vape.

So here goes.
1 Golden Rollie from Flavourart. This is the flavour that I messed up to begin with - I used far too much and got a taste that can only be described as drinking that liquid kids blow bubbles with. Once I made a more careful mix at 10% it settled down to be a very decent tobacco flavour, without sweetness or caramel, just a bit leafy with a slight floral hint. Sadly the disgusting flavour that I got from my bad mix was sooo bad that I am now hypersensitive to it and can still taste it lurking in the background. fingers crossed that bubble fluid taste will disappear with a bit of steeping. Overall I could live with this as a mainstay flavour.

2 Virginia tobacco from Flavourart. This flavour is closer to Golden Virginia than Golden Rollie above. there is no hint of the plasticy detergent bubble fluid flavour that Golden Rollie leaves me with. I like this, it is dusty and dry, without any sweetness, or for that matter any flavour that doesn't belong in a cigarette. If you dont inhale it, but blow it through your nose it smells just like dried leaves, sadly not tobacco leaves, but its close enough... reminds me of those herbal cigarettes that they used to sell as a quit smoking thing before patches and gum. I think this is a clever flavour, it is leafy and dusty a bit like the old gauloise tobacco without the smoked (as in bacon) taste that it used to have. I think this would make a brilliant base for building a really good tobacco flavour, but as it stands it is a bit dull. Overall this would sit next to Golden Rollie as a mainstay, and I'd probably end up mixing them.

3 Dark Rolled from Flavourart. Dark rolled, i was expecting something strong and exotic, maybe even balkan, but no - I had to up the percentage on this one to get a flavour strong enough to compare with the two previous flavours. At 12% this flavour began to work, it is not so much dark as a bit more woody, in fact it reminds me of the smell of mahogany (ok so I mean the smell inside the sock drawer of my old chest of drawers). This really is quite a complex flavour, it is very tobacco like but behind that there is a feint hotness, like a very mild chilli, and behind that the woody flavour which is a bit like chewing a cheap pencil, and then there are very feint fruity flavours, perhaps apple or watermelon, then a very slight walnutty ending.
Overall I am not sure that I could use this for too long, it is almost salty, but if you like your red wine oaky and your whisky peaty, then this might suit you.

4 Tobacco Cam from Flavourart. I got this flavour because I couldn't work out what on earth 'Cam' could mean - I still can't. This really is a surprise flavour, it is definitely tobacco like, but the chef has taken a few liberties and invented a new thing. My first impression was very strong "it smells just like sticking plasters", and it does, the cloth on a roll type". If you can't bring that smell to mind, how about "it smells just like a doctors clinic". The smell is due to a hint of cinnamon, just enough so that you can't quite put your finger on what it smells of. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this is a bad flavour, quite the opposite, but it is a bit of a surprise. Now smell is one thing, but flavour is something else, and to me this tastes quite a lot like sherbet and I really like it for that. I carried this one around for the best part of the day, and sometimes I thought I love it, then I think of surgeries and put it away again - a good thing if you are vaping too much perhaps.

5 oRYental 4 from Flavourart. Yep this is Flavourarts homage to RY4, which I normally happen to like, and was my best hope for a realistic tobacco substitute for my first forays into vaping. Now I am not sure that RY4 is a tobacco flavour at all, more like a mix of other flavours that put you in mind of a remembered pipe tobacco aroma. It seems to me that RY4 is made from caramel, vanilla and liquorice with a few other notes that merge them together, none of those flavours would be out of place in an Edwardian tobacconists and they add up to a sort of tobacconist smell. The good news is that Flavourarts oRYental 4 manages to combine these same flavours really well, you can pick them out in each puff, plus there is another dusty leafy flavour in there too (perhaps Virginia Tobacco no 2 above). This is an elegant RY4 that I could take to the desert island and wouldn't get tired of.

6 Hypnotic Myst from flavourart. My search for a good tobacco e-liquid went awry here, you know how it is you spend ages looking at sites deciding what to shell out for and at the last minute you hit 'add to cart' on some random pup. This random pup is not in the least bit tobacco like, and I had absolutely no expectations when i mixed it up. My first impressions were "fruity", "really fruity", "I hate fruity", "but I like this" and its true, here we have a fruity flavour that isn't trying to be a salad or an ice-cream and it is really intriguing. I spent a long time taking a puff and thinking "I know this flavour, what the hell is it?" I went through cranberry juice, blackcurrant, and then rosewater before I got it. This is a very well done Turkish Delight flavour, that somehow manages to be light and almost thirst quenching. So now I have to reconsider my prejudice against fruit flavours (always a good thing) because this is a really fresh flavour that just suits a vape, at least in my humble opinion.

That is about all i have to say right now, I hope it is worth the read.

revisiting the reviews after steeping.

I thought it would be worth a follow up to the review that I wrote before, because things changed significantly after the flavours had steeped for a couple of weeks.
For a start I came to the conclusion that I had overdone the amount of flavour concentrate in my mixes - so I diluted my 10% mixes when the bottles were half full with an equal amount of unflavoured nic/pg - effectively halving the concentrate amount to 5%.
these 5% mixes are what has been left to steep.
I will go through the subsequent impressions for each flavour below:

1 Golden Rollie from Flavourart.
The unpleasant flavour disappeared after a day or so and the flavour settled down to a very, very agreeable aproximation of a Golden Virginia roll-up, or perhaps an Amber Leaf roll-up. It reminds me very much of the smell of G.V. tobacco in the pouch, very leafy and deep. I cannot say that this is a tasty flavour, but then neither is the flavour of a cigarette, but if you are looking for a flavour that closely approximates what you miss from smoking, I would definitely recommend it. This flavour has become one of my two carry around all day flavours, I carry another (see below) because this flavour is just so ambient that I sometimes fancy something a bit more complex.

2 Virginia tobacco from Flavourart.
This is still sitting in its bottle unused on a regular basis, it is for my liking too dry tasting - but it really would make a brilliant base for some experimenting because it is kind of like a basic elementary tobacco flavour. so if you fancy making your own tobacco blend use this as a base.

3 Dark Rolled from Flavourart.
Another flavour that I have ended up not going back to, it does have a woody cedar background still and a very nutty end flavour. I don't like nutty very much. It is possible that I have made this too strong, and it might be nice as a feint flavour than an up front rasp in the throat, but it will be some time before I revisit it.

4 Tobacco Cam from Flavourart.
I am intrigued by this flavour because it is so weird, it hovers between being disgusting and tasty and I can't work out how to accomodate it. most friends that I have offered it to think it is odd, or horrible. It hasn't really changed with steeping, unless the slight cinnamon flavour has become more pronounced, but that could be because it stays in the wick. yep one of those flavours that will need a dedicated tank. I have actuall used quite a lot of this mixture, mainly because I keep trying to think what it could be mixed with to make a good taste. Of course Cam is for Camel, and the chef is, i believe trying to re-create the strange rasping flavour that old camel unfiltered cigarettes had, and I could see it working if it wasn't so cinnamony.

5 oRYental 4 from Flavourart.
This is my other carry around all day flavour. I have tried a lot of RY4 types and this one is subtle and delicate, not like a huge waft from an old sweet pipe tobacco like some RY4s, but with a slight fruitiness that sort of reminds me of raisins. I carry this around all day along with Golden Rollie (above) and when this seems a bit too flavoursome, I switch over to Golden Rollie, when that seems too plain I switch back - it works well. I may well end up using this flavour alone though because it really is very nice as an all day/week/month vape

6 Hypnotic Myst from flavourart.
I really got attached to this flavour, and carried it for about a week. it has settled down with steeping and is now a good tobacco flavour with a hint of turkish delight, in a nice way, the tobacco is full and rounded and the turkish delight flavour just works with it.
I often think that this new 'vaping thing' ought to develop its own flavours, rather than attempting to imitate food or smoke, and Hypnotic Myst is getting close to doing that. But I stopped using it so much because it seemed to be getting a bit acidic, in a sherberty sort of way, I know I will use it all up though. It is a summery sort of flavour, good for an outing to the beach.

So 3 out of 6 Flavourart flavours are, for me keepers, 2 are re-orderers. and only 1 or 2 will probably end up getting given away.
Since I have been using them, I have noticed how they seem like clean flavours that don't leave an aftertaste, unlike Hansen flavours which all seem to share a common background flavour.

I am curious to know what anyone else thinks of these flavours, so please feel free to comment or add to this.
Thanks

Last edited:
I thought it would be worth a follow up to the review that I wrote before, because things changed significantly after the flavours had steeped for a couple of weeks.
For a start I came to the conclusion that I had overdone the amount of flavour concentrate in my mixes - so I diluted my 10% mixes when the bottles were half full with an equal amount of unflavoured nic/pg - effectively halving the concentrate amount to 5%.
these 5% mixes are what has been left to steep.
I will go through the subsequent impressions for each flavour below:

1 Golden Rollie from Flavourart.
The unpleasant flavour disappeared after a day or so and the flavour settled down to a very, very agreeable aproximation of a Golden Virginia roll-up, or perhaps an Amber Leaf roll-up. It reminds me very much of the smell of G.V. tobacco in the pouch, very leafy and deep. I cannot say that this is a tasty flavour, but then neither is the flavour of a cigarette, but if you are looking for a flavour that closely approximates what you miss from smoking, I would definitely recommend it. This flavour has become one of my two carry around all day flavours, I carry another (see below) because this flavour is just so ambient that I sometimes fancy something a bit more complex.

2 Virginia tobacco from Flavourart.
This is still sitting in its bottle unused on a regular basis, it is for my liking too dry tasting - but it really would make a brilliant base for some experimenting because it is kind of like a basic elementary tobacco flavour. so if you fancy making your own tobacco blend use this as a base.

3 Dark Rolled from Flavourart.
Another flavour that I have ended up not going back to, it does have a woody cedar background still and a very nutty end flavour. I don't like nutty very much. It is possible that I have made this too strong, and it might be nice as a feint flavour than an up front rasp in the throat, but it will be some time before I revisit it.

4 Tobacco Cam from Flavourart.
I am intrigued by this flavour because it is so weird, it hovers between being disgusting and tasty and I can't work out how to accomodate it. most friends that I have offered it to think it is odd, or horrible. It hasn't really changed with steeping, unless the slight cinnamon flavour has become more pronounced, but that could be because it stays in the wick. yep one of those flavours that will need a dedicated tank. I have actuall used quite a lot of this mixture, mainly because I keep trying to think what it could be mixed with to make a good taste. Of course Cam is for Camel, and the chef is, i believe trying to re-create the strange rasping flavour that old camel unfiltered cigarettes had, and I could see it working if it wasn't so cinnamony.

5 oRYental 4 from Flavourart.
This is my other carry around all day flavour. I have tried a lot of RY4 types and this one is subtle and delicate, not like a huge waft from an old sweet pipe tobacco like some RY4s, but with a slight fruitiness that sort of reminds me of raisins. I carry this around all day along with Golden Rollie (above) and when this seems a bit too flavoursome, I switch over to Golden Rollie, when that seems too plain I switch back - it works well. I may well end up using this flavour alone though because it really is very nice as an all day/week/month vape

6 Hypnotic Myst from flavourart.
I really got attached to this flavour, and carried it for about a week. it has settled down with steeping and is now a good tobacco flavour with a hint of turkish delight, in a nice way, the tobacco is full and rounded and the turkish delight flavour just works with it.
I often think that this new 'vaping thing' ought to develop its own flavours, rather than attempting to imitate food or smoke, and Hypnotic Myst is getting close to doing that. But I stopped using it so much because it seemed to be getting a bit acidic, in a sherberty sort of way, I know I will use it all up though. It is a summery sort of flavour, good for an outing to the beach.

So 3 out of 6 Flavourart flavours are, for me keepers, 2 are re-orderers. and only 1 or 2 will probably end up getting given away.
Since I have been using them, I have noticed how they seem like clean flavours that don't leave an aftertaste, unlike Hansen flavours which all seem to share a common background flavour.

I am curious to know what anyone else thinks of these flavours, so please feel free to comment or add to this.
Thanks

Hi TifRap

Firstly great reviews and detailed, particularly like the follow up - not many reviewers do this.

I have mixed their Perique Latakia and Dark Vapure ( in equal amounts) - this mixed down to 12-16mg is an exceptional vape with genuine Havana Cigar taste with subtle undertones of cocoa and dark leaf tobacco.
Their range of tobacco concentrates is first rate. Again nice reviews.

Red

A good review and with the followup I'll be trying your recommendations as I like ry4.

Thanks for the reviews. I am also a fan of tobacco flavours and just about to start mixing my own, so reading this has been handy.

From their Ready to Vape range, I have tried Deep Rolled, LicRiz, Soho and King Arthur's Pipe. I have also tried VG heavy blends using Seven Leaves, Cowboy ad RY4.

KAP was definitely the best of them, so I'll be testing that one in my first batch.
Soho for some reason gives me the taste of minted lamb hotpot! Go figure!!

I'm just vaping F'art Latakia, mixed it 15% and it's good right off the bat.

Thanks for the reviews @tifrap , even though in your follow up you wasn't keen on it, you have me almost sold on the Dark Rolled, might be just what I'm looking for.

Soho for some reason gives me the taste of minted lamb hotpot! Go figure!!

Hmm, I was about to order some Soho, not sure now, I don't really like the taste of lamb.

Thanks for the reviews @tifrap , even though in your follow up you wasn't keen on it, you have me almost sold on the Dark Rolled, might be just what I'm looking for.

Hmm, I was about to order some Soho, not sure now, I don't really like the taste of lamb.
It's much too heavy on the caramel for me ...

It's much too heavy on the caramel for me ...

Yikes, Soho or dark rolled? I don't like caramel in my juices anymore, loved it at the start, now I almost hate it, along with vanilla.

What I'm after is a dark, woody flavour, some sort of pipe or cigar flavour without an overpowering fragrant taste and little or no sweetness or liquorice/aniseed. I don't think what I'm after exists although back in 2012 Cloud 9 vaping had an e-liquid like it, I thought it was called Storm, it's certainly not the FlavourArt Storm.

Yikes, Soho or dark rolled? I don't like caramel in my juices anymore, loved it at the start, now I almost hate it, along with vanilla.

What I'm after is a dark, woody flavour, some sort of pipe or cigar flavour without an overpowering fragrant taste and little or no sweetness or liquorice/aniseed. I don't think what I'm after exists although back in 2012 Cloud 9 vaping had an e-liquid like it, I thought it was called Storm, it's certainly not the FlavourArt Storm.
I was talking about Soho ... I liked Dark Rolled, just like a strong rollie.
I would give King Arthur's Pipe a try, it's one of John's flavours, Flavour Art UK, not one from Italy. I used to vape loads of it when I still liked full on tobaccos. You have to go very low % with it though, most of Flavour Art's tobaccos are bloody strong. 2-3%
The other thing I liked back then was an additive for tobaccos called Dirty Neutral Base by Inawera ... but it's much more of a cigarette thing than a pipe or cigar flavour.

Back
Top Bottom