What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Smoktech SID

Raguri

Nutter!
The Boring Bit:
These views are purely my own, and do not reflect the views of anyone else, or any organisations.

As most of you probably know, the Smok SID Is an 'affordable' VW Mod using pulse width modulation. Whilst it also has the ability to perform in VV, I have never used it.

The first thing I will mention - Is it's incredibly light! My other mod is a k100, which easily weighs twice as much! It's a mod you can have in your pocket, and if it wasn't for the length of it, you wouldn't realise it was there. Which is a good thing in my books.
Looks wise, I'm personally not a fan. Mainly as I'm not a fan of 'domed' top caps. However, it is removable and I will mention something later that may help solve this. It's also very very long. But, most VW mods are unless you use a mechanical with a Kick.
It's not the easiest thing to setup (When compared to a vamo, it's a pain!). As it uses a single button, its menu is like the zmax's. However, Whilst I believe the same board is used in both, I find that the SIDs button is tempermental. I've tried a couple now, and they all seemed to have the same problem mine has. Instead of having a 'set' amount of clicks for the menu, it's more of a "Click me until I decide I want to work"
Another thing that annoys the heck out of me, is there is NO way to actually turn it off. Yes, you can turn the output off... But, you're still using battery power as whenever the button is depressed, the screen will display "out off". Meaning that the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery.
Yes, it will not fire anything lower than 1.2ohms, and this is where I get really annoyed. Unlike a vamo, you cannot check the ohms of an atomizer without firing it! anything under 1.2 will show "Low Load"... This is a pain when using a mechanical mod and wanting to check the resistance. However... I guess for normal use, it's fine! If not a little annoying you need to physically fire it up.
The final thing - You can use evic tubes on this. The threadings are the same. This means you can customise everything apart from the middle tube as the electronics are housed within and are not removable.

So, would I buy this again? As much as I love this device, I'd personally say no. Yes, it has its good points! It has a great board, a clear screen (As long as you're not in daylight! Darn OLED screens hate any form of light!) and it's light. But, I've moved on to mechanicals and doubt i'll ever be able to bring myself back. However, It will always have a place on my desk as the "No fuss" mod.

Back
Top Bottom