What's new

Review Smok xcube II unbox. **pic heavy**

philTBA

Achiever
I'm aware some apes have these winging their way to them, so I'll upload the unbox, and some details first, and get the in use upped in the next couple of days as there's a lot to cover on this one.

Smok xcube II unbox & first use.

Before I start, I'll get this out of the way. If your in any way OCD with marks or fingerprints, WALK AWAY NOW ! This is NOT the mod for you. I'll also say, this is the polar opposite of the A160, and packed full of whistles, bells, and shoutyness.
This might be a good time too make a coffee and load up your fav tank or RDA and make yourself comfortable, this could take some time.

Some box images will now follow.

First clue to the first statement

Inside the layers, the fancy envelope contains the book of words, warranty card and the now familiar charge lead. THIS ISNT A CHARGE LEAD ! it's the firmware update lead.

This is a VERY shiney mod.

You now understand the opening statement, this thing gets covered in fingerprints in no time. You can also see the marks on the base from just a couple of days use, and I'm pretty careful with my kit. It's the mod you'll keep for those special occasion night out, and the very mod you won't want to take out if the house in case it gets marked of damaged.
There's a strong chance of this turning you into Gollum, and it being your presssiousssss. :)
Ok, some specs.

Size. 100x60x24.5mm
Weight. 238.6 grams
Output voltage. 0.35 - 8v
Output. 6 - 160w
Max input v. 8.8v
Temp mode res range. 0.06 - 3ohm
watt mode res range. 0.1 - 3ohm
Temp cont range. 200-600f/ 100-315c
Material. Zink alloy, stainless steel, plastic.
Spring loaded 510

And now features.
Wattage memory mode. Stores 16 pre sets
Temperature control.
Special draw effects. Soft/normal/hard
Bluetooth 4.0
Upgradable firmware.
OLED display
Customisable LED
12 sec cut off
Short circuit/low voltage protection
Overheat protection.

This features list doesn't give any clue to how much control you have over EVERYTHING you have with this. After a quick scan of the book of words, the onboard menu is waay too fucky abouty for me. It's all 'press buttons A & B simultaneously to enter 'x' menu, then press button C to enter sub menu, and so it goes on, and on, and on. If your patient, you can figure it out. The xcube II is the GoPro of mods, onboard menu on both are bloody awful, but via the free app, setting it up is a breeze, and that's where you'll find how much you can control.
Power/lock/and Bluetooth are easy to deal with via shortcuts on the mod. 5 clicks lock/unlock, 3 clicks Bluetooth on/off, and the usual + & - power buttons.
The screen displays all the now expected info, though it's either stuck under your chin, or upside down.
The fire bar in this is a win. It needs a firm pressure to fire the mod, meaning it can be picked up/held without firing, but just squeeze the mod, and it fires. I love this, so easy to use.

I mentioned this was the polar opposite to the A160, and this can do the whole 'look at me' thing big time. It has the LED fire light like you've never seen, and fully customisable. Anything from single colour of your choice (theoretical 16million colours !) to full on flashy disco lights, or switch them off completely.
Disco mode.
http://youtu.be/CjJHcc18ZZM

I also said, this isn't a mod for anyone with that OCD corner in their mind, that still stands, but this is also the perfect mod for anyone with OCD ! You can set power limits, have a soft/normal/Hard fire. Soft will fire 20% below set watts for the first 2 secs, normal, self explanatory, & hard, fires 20% above set watts for the first 2 secs. Ideal for faster ramp up on RDA builds. You can limit the amount of draws per day, and can set a ' reduction plan' theses an 'in use' history record and an in operation 'live feed' to the app.
http://youtu.be/SrnJolhmKiU

One thing I will say, before you start using this. Set the power manually, I didn't, and blew a coil.
If you set the power via the app, when your phone/tablet goes into sleep mode, it'll drop the Bluetooth connection, when this happens the mod will default to the,setting it had when first loaded with batteries and switched on. 145w in this case, this is not an ideal power to put through a .5ohm coil. You have been warned ! :)

I'll leave this for now with some app info images to give an idea of how much is lurking in there.

Smok have gone 'social media' with this, as the app includes an xcube II users message board, and the option to 'unlock' titanium coils feature via in app purchasing. ($.0.99 or 65p at today's exchange rate)

Last edited:
If anyone engages me in conversation about their puff counter - ever - I will not be held responsible for my actions.

Awesome

Thanks for this detailed post, I have been really tempted by this mod since I saw the GrimmGreen Vid on YT.
Do you happen to have an android device that you could test the app on? I've seen that it can be a bit flaky and being a droid user that's really putting me off.

cheers
Martin

Thanks for this detailed post, I have been really tempted by this mod since I saw the GrimmGreen Vid on YT.
Do you happen to have an android device that you could test the app on? I've seen that it can be a bit flaky and being a droid user that's really putting me off.

cheers
Martin

Sorry mate, don't do android, worse than bloody PCs ! Lol

cheers
Martin

Hi Martin. I'm into my second day with the x cube. My HTC m8 had no problem initially connecting to my mod. Last night was a bit more hit and miss until I did an update for the app. Since then it's been fine for me. Hope this helps.

Hi Martin. I'm into my second day with the x cube. My HTC m8 had no problem initially connecting to my mod. Last night was a bit more hit and miss until I did an update for the app. Since then it's been fine for me. Hope this helps.

Crackin! thank you Longy, I also have a HTC One so I feel a lot better about taking the plunge now :D

Back
Top Bottom