What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Review Smok Mag

Enoch

Achiever
It has been a while but I’m back with another review. Another one of those reviews that is very hard to get excited for based on the brand but for once I can actually recommend a product by them, I use it on a daily basis for a while now. As usual I am your average vaper and this was bought out my own pocket. So without further ado, here it is, the Smok Mag.

smok-mag-box-mod_400x_crop_center.jpg

Smok are a prolific company when it comes to releasing mods, so it literally is the case of the same mod different shape. So I am not going to write a review based on its abilities because it is the cut and paste job on them all. First thing to cover will be the aesthetics, how good it looks and feels to use the device. Honestly? Surprisingly nice! The paint is a good solid colour and there have been no chips or peeling in 3 months of use so far, so it eliminates the previous mods issues straight away. I have been using the Purple version and the device is nice, striking purple colour but as you are probably aware, there is about 20 different colour schemes/styles as per all smok mods. So first of all, visually, it looks great.

The design of the mod is to copy a gun handle design, and in its usability it has been comfortable to hold. The fire button is a trigger but with the comfortable feeling in your hand, it is quite satisfying. So it is very easy to hold and not too heavy to carry. The device is metal also so it feels solid in your hand with buttons and trigger satisfyingly clicky. The screen is clear but not bright, with the same software you can find on most smok devices currently. So it comes with all the different modes you expect to find on a Mod these days and various colours to change. The 510 connection is sat directly in the middle of the mod on the top and can easily fit with a 27-28mm before you get any sort of overhang. I use it with a purple Valyrian tank and there is plenty of space left.

blk_red2.jpg

The final thing to mention about the mod is where the name Mag comes from. The battery compartment is designed like a magazine clip on a gun with a silver button to release it like such. The thing works fantastic in all honesty, the button is stuff enough to not have accidental releases and you can snap it back in without any worry. The button also works as a screw in case it ever got stuck, apparently voids the warranty but have you tried holding Smok to one? ! the battery sleeve is marked at the bottom with positive and negative, and the chambers are encased with a thin plastic tubing to add a little extra layer to the batteries so well designed all around and works a charm.

So the positives of the mod, there is quite a few for me surprisingly. The first positive will be the paint being solid and not chipping like the Alien. They have learned from their mistake there so credit for that. The battery chamber is also a positive, unique in terms of a mod but works great, not had any issues so far using it and only the occasional release in my pocket when pressed against something. The biggest positive is the design, it just fits so comfortably in your hand, with gripping on the side also to prevent slipping. Another positive is the battery mag button being positioned next to the trigger, so again no accidental pressing. I actually think the menu system with the buttons provided works better than the others? Strange I know as it is identical but I have very little accidental menu activation with this device than I did previously with the S Priv.

images

So now onto the negatives for me. First one will be the screen, it isn’t a solid screen. There is some protection there but it isn’t solid plastic like the rest of the panel for some reason so any real pressure on it will break it. I have also seen a case on social media of someone’s breaking being left in sunlight inside so the screen quality combined with the brightness issue is poor compared to many mods out. The next negative for me is the design of sorts. I am left handed so I have a right handed edition, so the mod is forever backwards in my hand. Not an issue as I do not change anything on the device but it would be nice to have an alternate design. It is a little strange as they released a right handed version but I can’t see why a left handed version would be standard? I bought the right version by accident anyway, minor complaint for me, not as bad as the backwards avenger mod. The paint does attract fingerprints, but also easily cleaned off so again a small moan about that. One final negative for me I need to mention in my experience is that I think the wattage is lower than other mods. Vaping at 115w on this device has a softer hit than on my Skystar for example, same tank. So the calibration may be off with the power ratio, I can imagine this may affect temp mode also.

So overall, I really like this mod! I have used it for the last 2-3 months now daily and have got along with it fine. The problem with reviewing a cookie cutter device from Smok is that you can replace a lot of the names and still have the same review. Inside this is the same as the H/T/E/S and whatever else Priv they have released this year. You are buying the design rather than a new device so I have tried to offer my thoughts on that basis. The mod works well, it isn’t the best for advanced vapers or anyone wanting higher wattage due to the slight mis-calibration it feels like it has (software update may fix that) but for someone who wants the device for comfort or looks it is great at the right price. You can probably pick this up for less than £50 now, I bought mine in a sale for £40 so good price for a good mod. It feels like it is worth the higher price in a lot of areas, so get it for around £40 and you won’t be disappointed.

Looks- 9/10

Design – 9/10

Performance- 6/10

Overall - 8/10

Good detailed review, I love my mags, I bought one when they were released and it's been faultless, in fact just received my 3rd one today £39.99 with a 5ml Prince tank - I'm having that!

Good detailed review, I love my mags, I bought one when they were released and it's been faultless, in fact just received my 3rd one today £39.99 with a 5ml Prince tank - I'm having that!
considering the fact that these are all the same mods i think they got it right with this one. It's a novelty sure but the shape is great and i find myself holding it and carrying it where aa similar weighted box or boxish mod i wouldn't get along with. One of the reasons why i didn't connect with the Avenger in all honesty, same backwards issue for me but it was less comfy.

I actually have the mag out with me today, still paired with my valyrian (need to see if i did a review for that tank)

Yeah it's just perfection in the hand, got the RH version today, a bit miffed as they have mirrored the up and down buttons and it's totally counter intuitive, you think your raising the watts but your lowering them, it's the only mod that does this that I've tried - no biggie as I got it on my OCD 66.6 watts lol.

The X-Priv Chrome is my favourite smok mod though, a proper scratch resistant clear bright screen and the ergonomics are great too.

Hi,

Been trying to find where I can create a new thread but can’t see it for the life of me lol so sorry if this is the wrong one but was wondering if you could help? Or someone could?

I have a smok mag which worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago. The a battery keeps depleting really fast...like it won’t even last half a day now.

I have tried swapping the batteries around as I thought it could be a faulty battery but i still have the same issue.

I have contacted the supplier who said that it seems like a software issue and I should update. I have been onto the smok website but can not find anything for an update for the software for the smok mag?

Any ideas would be appreciated as it’s doing my but in now.

Thanks,

George

Hi George

Firstly, have you been charging it via the USB?

And what batteries are you using?

Hello,

No I use a battery charger that charges the batteries for me.

I have 18650 2500mAh 3.7V batteries. They have been working fine but last few weeks it’s just whatever battery goes into the ‘A’ slot drains very quick.

Thanks for the response

George

It sounds like it’s gubbed, George. There might be a way to update or reset the firmware, maybe @Vapaneezer Scrooge can advise.

Otherwise you might need to get a new mod, I’d recommend staying away from the smoks if so.

Hello,

No I use a battery charger that charges the batteries for me.

I have 18650 2500mAh 3.7V batteries. They have been working fine but last few weeks it’s just whatever battery goes into the ‘A’ slot drains very quick.

Thanks for the response

George

It will be the battery I think.... in the mod they are connected together, I don't see how one can be drained quicker than the other by the mod...

are they the same age/type ... ever been used individually?

It sounds like it’s gubbed, George. There might be a way to update or reset the firmware, maybe @Vapaneezer Scrooge can advise.

Otherwise you might need to get a new mod, I’d recommend staying away from the smoks if so.

I’m hoping it is the firmware and there’s a way to update it as it’ll be a quick fix.

Out of curiosity, what mod would you recommend?

Thanks,

George

Back
Top Bottom