What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Review GTRS VBOY review

crustyfolker

Veteran
Hi Apes, Todays review is a review of The GTRS VBOY, This mod was kindly sent to me for review by Phoebe @gearbest.com so a big THANK YOU to Phoebe. Please note this is an honest review uninfluenced by anyone or thing.

Whats in the box.

1 GTRS VBOY mod
1 usb cable
1 Warranty card
1 QC pass certificate
1 instruction manual
1 Cleaning cloth
1 soft drawstring pouch

Stats

Brand: GTRS
Type: Electronic Cigarettes Accessories
Accessories type: MOD
Model: VBOY 200W
Material: Zinc Alloy
Mod: Temperature Control Mod,VV/VW Mod
APV Mod Wattage Range: 151-200W
APV Mod Wattage: 200w
Temperature Control Range: 100 - 300 Deg.C / 200 - 600 Deg.F
Battery Form Factor: 18650
Battery Quantity: 2pcs ( not included )
Dimension and Weight

Product weight: 0.2000 kg
Package weight: 0.2800 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 9.00 x 4.90 x 3.40 cm / 3.54 x 1.93 x 1.34 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 14.00 x 8.00 x 5.00 cm / 5.51 x 3.15 x 1.97 inches

Main Features:
● 1.3 inch TFT IPS full color display
● SX500 high-performance chip set
● 10pcs changeable screen displays
● Pure silicone and plastic side paster
● Supports 2pcs 18650 batteries ( not included )
● Resistance range: 0.05 - 3 ohm, best 0.1 - 0.5 ohm
● Charging time: 2 hours
● Wattage range: 5 - 200W
● TC range: 100 - 300 Deg.C / 200 - 600 Deg.F

20170905095755_13428.jpg

So The GTRS VBOY is a Yihi SX500 chipped mod, which is very similar to the SX550j chip but minus a few functions and no bluetooth function. The device boasts a nice colour screen with 10 different wallpapers, The last 5 are 3 cars and 2 scantily clad Women, these 5 can be changed to whatever you wish via sxi which is available to download free from Yihi themselves. SXI is yihi's escribe type software note only works with Windows pc. i have not ben able to alter the first five wallpapers so these maybe permanent on the device. The Colour screen is a 1.3 inch full colour screen very bright and clear brightness is adjustable which will be useful for changes in the sunlight or how where you are is lit or even to get the best look of the wallpaper you upload

The case is Zinc alloy with silicone rubber side panels which provides plenty of grip we have a fire button which is a nice big thumbable button and 3 other buttons, up, down and select. the up and down are for me the opposite way round so down is on the left of the centre or select button. holding down select will recheck your coil and change the ohm rating
5 presses of the fire button to turn on the device then 3 to lock/unlock the device which then displays the time when locked. 5 clicks while switched on takes you into the menu where you can alter font, temp, celcius/farenheit, coil type, tcr setting, compensate temp,standby time, time setting, wallpaper, brightness as well as turning the device off.
This drop down menu is so easy to use even those who are new to vaping will find it simple enough to use. There is a secret mode which you can find pressing and holding up and down but the hidden mode is not as good, you can't change everything you want so you then need to press up and down together again. To get in and out of tc mode or Joules mode as it's called on Yihi boards you have to press the select button then press again instead of altering the wattage.
The device comes with a cleaning cloth and a carry pouch which will help keep your mod clean and prevent marks.
The usb cable will charge your batteries super fast GTRS claim 2 hours but i have not tested this. I use an external charger which i would also advise everyone to do.
The colour screen displays ohm,s, battery bar, wattage, Strength of ramp up, temp and coil type over the wall paper chosen, the default wall paper is the best in my opinion as this shows everything much clearer than other images. wattage is adjusted by pressing select then you see the wattage change colour to red where you then turn up or down and press the fire button to exit the setting. The downside with the chip and screen is you really need to go back to wallpaper 1 to alter between wattage and joules.
Atomizers well 30mm are ok but there is a slight but not really noticeable overhang due to the shape of the mod which has a slope from the top so 28mm will have no overhang. The 510 is good its a central 510 with a gold plated pin , the battery door on the bottom of the mod is also a good one at least upto now. It is similar to the bottom battery doors we already know, the hold down and push forwards to hold in place but this one does seem a much better door than say the ipv6x and 8 the Vboy stays shut when i place it down everytime.
The usb port is on the side near the top.

I have been mostly using a Manta RTA with duel 0.1 ohm claptons at 85 watts and find this to provide an excellent vape. I have also tried out the Ni200 and ss tc
Temp control is very good as you would expect from a Yihi chipset.
Battery life has been excellent but i am using Sony vtc5a batteries.

The Vboy is available in 5 colours pictured near the start. And i noticed Gearbest are selling them for as little as £48.96 or £51.16 depending on clour chosen. This is an excellent price for thi device

Pro's

1. An excellent Yihi chipset the sx500 chip
2. Nice to hold built really well
3. Great screen
4. Works exceptionally
5. customisable wallpapers and settings
6. Easy to use menu
7, Value for money
8. GTRS went back and dealt with issues on the Beta version.

Cons

1. The fire button may annoy people used to them being on the side of their mods
2. up down buttons should have benn swapped over so they are not down up buttons.

Conclusion

So you are after a really good device but don't want to pay over £100, you want a mod that has a lot of good features, feels great in hand and looks nice. Get the GTRS Vboy. I have enjoyed using this mod so much its getting more use than other devices . The cons i mentioned won't be a con to everyone but the Pro's are all good reasons to own and use this device. A well built mod with one of the best chips i have had the pleasure to use. There is a bit to learn about regarding altering things and some may get confused with the screen when they use the wallpapers other than the default wallpaper as this still displays temp in wattage mode, just ignore it is all i can say.
So i am going to give this Gtrs Vboy a big thumbs up, it really is a fantastic device.

I hope you enjoyed the review for the GTRS Vboy or found it helpful, Till next time goodbye.

20171128_175234[1].jpg 20171128_175356[1].jpg 20171128_175412[1].jpg 20171128_175436[1].jpg

Last edited:
Nice review Matt, but I don't see what's wrong with the buttons.

The left button is down and the right button is up, isn't this the same as all other mods with horizontal orientation?

I didn't know about the wallpapers, I'd better check them out.............

The left button is down and the right button is up, isn't this the same as all other mods with horizontal orientation?

I think that in general life left buttons are up, right are down. Sort of ingrained learned standard, or something like that. With this mod I noticed this a fair bit when going for a little work puff. I'd go out the back (on autopilot), switch mod on, turn wattage up without looking and find it cooler than I was expecting [emoji53] . 30W instead of 40W. Not a big deal, just have to break some ingrained conditioning [emoji1] .

Last edited:
Nice. Both, review and mod. And £50 price tag is very good as well. I wonder which which tank will overhang of it? :)

I think that in general life left buttons are up, right are down. Sort of ingrained learned standard, or something like that. With this mod I noticed this a fair bit when going for a little work puff. I'd go out the back (on autopilot), switch mod on, turn wattage up without looking and find it cooler than I was expecting [emoji53] . 30°C instead of 40°c. Not a big deal, just have to break some ingrained conditioning [emoji1] .

I can't think of anything right now apart from mods that has left and right buttons for up and down, but every mod I've ever owned has been left down, right up.

Still, it's not unusual for something I was certain about to be turned on its head.

Nice review Matt, but I don't see what's wrong with the buttons.

I didn't know about the wallpapers, I'd better check them out.............

I think most of my other mods have the up button to the left ie fire button, screen, up , down layouts so its probably just me, its like using an sx 350j with the screen orientated for left hand use. I just keep pressing the down button to turn up wattage ,Joules or temp on the Vboy. So i need to get used to the fomat, oh i did forget to mention the down button is slightly higher up on the mod but the select and up buttons are lower down which accentuates things

Back
Top Bottom