What's new

Innokin Scion 1 vs Scion 2 tank.

Tazz

Legend
Hello and welcome. o_O

Not long ago I purchased, in an Oceanus Kit, a Scion 1 tank. Now I have to say that tank and the Plexus coils have greatly impressed me. The other coils that came in the kit, not the Plexus, I dont rate at all so that's the only mention they're gonna get.
The Scion 1 tank has been great, though if there was just 1 negative it would be just this small one, when you refill it, unscrewing the top, you need to give the top screw in section and around the tank top a wipe to get rid of any juice that, if you dont, will squeeze out as its screwed back on. Its not a lot by any means but it's there and needs to be wiped. Many need a bit of a wipe anyway it's just that the Scion 1 needs it a bit more than others. It's no biggy really and doesn't bother me as the tank and Plexus coils are so good, to me they are at least.

So I get the Scion 2. Is it as good and rate as high for me? No.
I give the Scion 1 an 8 out of 10. I can be hyper critical but that's me.
The Scion 1 gets 8 losing 2 points for that little extra juice you need to wipe off and for the fact it's top can't be fitted with another tip of your choice. It's fixed, part of the actual top.
The Scion 2 just scrapes in at 7. Just, just missed a 6. No, on second thoughts a 6.
It has a sliding top fill system that you need to use to fill it a narrow tip bottle or dropper. The opening is single and pretty narrow. I feel it slides open a bit too easy to be honest and for that reason I wouldnt carry it in my pocket. A plus on that front though is it wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem for people with arthritis or similar problems to open. But, you cannot fully clean any juice residue up when/after the fill. This means there seems to always be just a little bit of juice residue visible around the inside edges between the top and bottom of the tank after a fill. You need to wipe near the fill point, under the back pushed back section and again the edges after pushing it back into place. Its not excessive, but its there and needs to be done. If you dont mind seeing that then it wont be a problem to you.
I do have a Joyetech tank that has the same fill system and it snaps into place better and doesn't have as much juice residue on show after its filled so its shows the Scion 2 could be better designed on that front.
The fill systems. First one the Scion 1 then the 2.
scion 1 fill.jpg
scion 2 fill.jpg

The 2 can though be fitted with an alternative tip though so that's something at least.
But the "why did Innokin do this" to me is the reduced airflow! The slots, they both have 2 of them, are much smaller on the Scion 2. Now the Plexus coils are beasts! They have compared to others a huge surface area for airflow to go past. Now on the 1 you can close it as much as you like but also open it right up taking a huge unrestricted hit if you want to. Myself I love it opened right up and taking a big full flavoursome inhale that it's well capable of delivering.
I love it, those who don't can close it as much as they want, but, the option is there for whatever your liking is. In other words all are catered for fully and people like me are not left wanting.
Im left wanting on the Scion 2. To me and my style the 1 vapes and tastes for that reason better and more satisfyingly. Some won't care, those who like to restrict it a bit, but it doesn't cater for all like the Scion 1 does.
The air flow slots on the 1 by me are just shy of 15mm each. On the 2 they are just on 9mm each.
Now thats a big reduction. A combined air flow of the 1 being almost 30mm compared to just 18mm on the 2.
Big difference in slot size huh!? Scion 1 on the left and 2 on the right.
airflow.jpg

So here is why I think the reduction is nuts. Have a look at the picture below. On the right is a Fireluke Mesh coil, on the left the Plexus.
You can take full advantage of the beast in the 1, your restricted in the 2.
scion fireluke coils.jpg

In summary, I'd buy another version 1 no problems, in fact I'm getting another this week as back up.
Having used both I find the version 2 a let down.
Old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I don't think Innokin has heard that before though, obviously.
Cheers :whatsthis:

I always find it strange that a company has a popular product, then makes changes to it in V2.

Back
Top Bottom