What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Voopoo Drag-X Plus.

Astral

Achiever
Voopoo Drag-X Plus.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Sourcemore and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

IMG_20210304_095024.jpg

The letter X is often used to denote something special or mysterious. It’s used everywhere. X marks the spot, X-factor, Malcolm-X. The list is endless.

It's used for a television show by Simon Cowell, a moniker by rebels and an insignia by both pirates and the illiterate.

It's also used as a suffix for one of Vapings most iconic pod kits - the Drag - and this is the one we’re interested in today, and in this case it’s not about whether X marks the spot, it’s about whether it hits it, and that’s something I was very keen to find out - so when @Sourcemore offered me the chance to review one I jumped at it.

When it arrived the first thing I noticed was the aesthetic beauty of it.

It has the customary brushed leather panel wrapped around the lightweight 133g Zinc-Alloy frame, with an elegant black or silver border featuring a Voopoo logo and Drag embossed badge on the front.

The back is taken up by a full length instrument panel, and the top by a large pod with a 510 equipped base, sitting astride it like Big Ben atop the Queen Elizabeth clock tower, but oddly not looking at all out of place.

IMG_20210304_095111.jpg IMG_20210304_095151.jpg

Sourcemore sent me their sample kit in the lovely Smoky Grey colour but the other four colours - the Classic, Marsala, Prussian Blue and Sandy Brown - are all equally as beautiful.

Once I’d finished admiring it, I sat down and perused the contents of the well made and nicely presented box and dutifully unpacked the peripherals.

Inside was the pod, the mod, plus the instruction manual, the two gigantic newly released wide diameter TPP-DM1 0.15ohm (60-80w) and TPP-DM2 0.2ohm (40-60w) mesh coils, and a USB Type-C cable for the 5v/2A fast charge system.

IMG_20210304_100046.jpg IMG_20210304_100441.jpg

With a 5 - 100w power output and a form factor of only 141 x 29 x 35mm it’s a seriously compact little device - and it’s not until you go through the specs you realise that this is a little toy, for big boys (and girls) and it packs a serious punch.

Powered by a single 21700 or 18650 battery and featuring a 5.5ml bottom-fill pod, it’ll soon have you chuffing like a choo-choo all day long, even at higher wattages - and with the giant sub-ohm coils and vast airflow capacity it’s very easy to get carried away.

This is a very insidious device and it’ll soon have you doing things you normally wouldn’t.

I’m naturally MTLer and not inclined to this sort of thing but even I got carried away and found myself turning up the wick and blowing up a fog. The small form factor and ease of use just makes giving it a try inevitable.

The new coils are both open and flavoursome and both offer a significant upgrade on the previous PNP’s, but in all honesty it’s hard to tell the difference between them, and if you don’t look at the inscriptions on the side, you might not know the difference.

If you don’t like them though, or would prefer to stick with your old PNP’s, you can still do this as the Drag-X plus tank base will take all the old PNP pods - including the MTL one.

Even better, as the pod bases are connected to the mod by a standard 510 connector, you can even use another tank entirely if you wish.

The only drawback I can find is that mine suffered from quite a bit condensation and leaking and, but perhaps this is only to be expected with coils of this circumference and a bottom fill design.

After four years of production though, I do wish they’d gone for a more convenient top-fill design. Surely it wouldn’t have detracted from the aesthetics too much?

IMG_20210304_095522.jpg IMG_20210304_095557.jpg

Other than that I don’t have too many criticisms.

The only other one I can think of is more of a personal preference rather than a fault - and that’s that this has an 810 drip-tip rather than my preferred 510, and no option to change it. It is removable though and has a double O-Ring, but it just isn’t for me. It probably suits the intended audience though and it does mould nicely into the pod, keeping the near seamless look of its one-piece predecessors.

The mod itself is an extremely well crafted unit and uses high quality materials. It has a very high premium feel and is something you’ll proudly show off.

The buttons on the instrument panel are all firm and clicky, and have just the right amount of travel to provide intuitive and tactile use. The unified power and fire button sits centrally above the 0.96” TFT screen and the two independent up and down buttons sit below it stacked above each other, just above the USB-C charge port

IMG_20210304_095255.jpg

The screen gives you a wonderfully legible readout with large, clear White text set upon a black background and features all the information you need, such as wattage, resistance, puff counter, puff duration and your battery level. This can also be rotated in its orientation to suit your preference.

The additional menus provide you options for Smart mode - where the mod will automatically select the correct wattage for your coil - and RBA mode, where you get full control of the mod’s variable wattage right the way to its maximum of 100w, and the screen’s detailing changes colour to reflect this too.

In use you don’t see this but out of use both the blue and yellow décor provide a highly useful indicator.

IMG_20210304_101142.jpg IMG_20210304_100828_BURST001_COVER.jpg

As a user experience, this is a lovely device to use. Apart from the aforementioned leakiness, I can’t think of too many things to dislike about it.

All in all it’s a delight to use. It’s comfortable in the hand, it vapes beautifully, and it provides incredible versatility with its range of pods, coils and scope for any 510 equipped tank.

Voopoo have been incredibly brave of late by trusting their users will stay if they set them free, and if they keep producing devices like this, I’d say they’re more than right.

https://www.sourcemore.com/voopoo-drag-3-mod-kit.html

Last edited:
Great review mate. Not for me but a good read nonetheless.

Great review mate. Not for me but a good read nonetheless.

It's an outstanding mod @rew even if you don't like the pod. I've currently got the MTL pod on it with a Mechlyfe coil and it's a lovely tight draw. Don't discount it just because you don't like the pods.

Best wishes.

It's an outstanding mod @rew even if you don't like the pod. I've currently got the MTL pod on it with a Mechlyfe coil and it's a lovely tight draw. Don't discount it just because you don't like the pods.

Best wishes.

Good point mate. May consider it then at some stage.

Thanks for the review...

but it's 2021, bottom-fill and leaking tanks belong in the past to me.

Honestly, it feels like several steps backwards from the Drag mini kit I had a couple of years ago. Come on Voopoo.

If this is Voopoo being 'brave' then they should have played it safe.

Thanks for the review...

but it's 2021, bottom-fill and leaking tanks belong in the past to me.

Honestly, it feels like several steps backwards from the Drag mini kit I had a couple of years ago. Come on Voopoo.

If this is Voopoo being 'brave' then they should have played it safe.

bottom fill is best imo. but it wouldn’t cause it to leak. in fact it should be less likely. probably down to poor design or quality control, the leaks.

Back
Top Bottom