What's new

VooPoo Argus GT Mod & PnP Tank Kit REVIEW

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-1.jpg

Supplied by Source More for review purposes.
https://www.sourcemore.com/voopoo-argus-gt-kit.html
Coupon code for customers:
$34.99 VOOPOO Argus GT Kit
Code: ARGT

Another skinny review while the main one is waiting to go live.
(skinny as in the full review will be more in depth)

VooPoo have stepped up a gear recently and the new ARGUS range has its own styling which looks quite different to their earlier products, I owned a DRAG but wasn’t too keen on it’s over the top branding, I also have the ALPHA ZIP kit which I loved the look of but wasn’t too keen on the coils, I’ve paid little attention to VooPoo since then but the ARGUS GT really caught my eye, so when Sourcemore offered the kit up for review I jumped at the chance.

Packaging
When I opened up the parcel to find a crumpled outer box I wasn't too impressed but that vanished as soon as I saw the cool main case inside, you can't help but be impressed how VooPoo have packaged the Argus GT kit, little things like this shouldn't matter but for me I like to keep my boxes and I always remember the nicer ones, Lost Vape in particular (not the last time you will hear that name in comparison to the Argus GT), they have wasted no space with this cool plastic clip case.

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-3.jpg

The package of Argus GT Kit Comes With:
• 1 x Argus GT Device
• 1 x 4.5ml PnP Pod Tank
• 1 x 0.2ohm PnP-VM5
• 1 x 0.15ohm PnP-VM6
• 1 x Type-C Cable
• 1 x User Manual

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-Contents.jpg

Specs
• Size: 51.3 x 26.1 x 132.1mm
• Mod Material: Leather + Zinc Alloy
• Battery: Dual 18650(not included)
• Max Output: 160W
• Output Voltage: 6.4-8.4V
• Resistance: 0.1-3.0Ω
• Pod Tank Material: Stainless Steel+PCTG
• E-juice Capacity: 4.5ml
• Coil: 0.2Ω (PnP-VM5) 0.15Ω (PnP-VM6)
• Colours: Vintage Grey, Dark Blue, Black Red, Carbon Fiber, Black Blue

The main outstanding spec is the size; this thing is very compact, for a full featured dual 18650 I haven't found anything smaller, it's when you first hold it in your hand you appreciate just how compact it is.

Features
• Compact, light and durable
• Powered by dual 18650 batteries with 160W max output
• Comes with 510 base and transformable PnP Pod Tank
• Compatible with all PnP Coils
• Monitored by GENE.TT Chip
• Provides intelligent functions such as SMART and TC mode
• Adopts innovative infinite airflow system
• Supports type-C fast charging
• Equipped with two dedicated coils: PnP-VM5 0.2Ω and PnP-VM6 0.15Ω
• 4.5ml large PnP pod tank with bottom filling design
• 8 safety protections: Overtime Protection, Short-circuit Protection, Overcharge Protection, Output Over-current Protection, Over Discharge Protection, Over-temperature Protection, Battery Reverse Protection, Balance Charge with Different Brand Battery

The above claims are pretty accurate apart from 2 things; the airflow which I will go into later in the Tank section and the 160 Watt max output, now I have no way of accurately checking this but my most trusted YouTube reviewer DJLSB has all the gear to test wattage etc. and he found that it could not reach a true 160 watts, not that it matters for the majority of vapers, most won’t go above 100 Watts and the included coils are rated well under 80 Watts, this claim didn’t bother me in the slightest but if you really do need 160 watts then you would be best off checking DJLSB’s video before you buy.

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-4.jpg

First impressions
Admittedly I already had high expectations of the mod while it was in transit, all too often I've been left a little disappointed when you first get your hands on items, this was not the case with the Argus GT, this little beauty looks and feels so much better in real life, I was genuinely excited to crack on with reviewing this.

As mentioned previously; the size is the first thing you notice in the box but the weight really jumps out, it's incredibly light, weighing in at 103g without batteries or tank, 5g lighter than the GEN which was the lightest dual 18650 I own.

Looks & Ergonomics
As you can see by the photos; I was sent the Dark Blue option which features a Denim style cloth wrap, I was half expecting a leather texture with denim colouring but no; the wrap looks and feels like denim but you can tell it is made from something more durable and shouldn’t get grotty with time, the stitching accents appear to be proper stitching which feel good.

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-6.jpg

Branding isn't bad at all, the main ARGUS name around the curved edge is subtle and looks good, the VOOPOO stands out but nowhere near as bad as the DRAG mods, the Gene chipset logo is a bit pointless but I tried to visualise the mod without it and I think they made the right call, you also need to remember how small the mod is to put the size of the branding into perspective.

The chassis is all metal and painted Satin Black with a spatter effect over the top coat which I really like, I've seen it before on one of my mods but I can't remember which one, the Denim effect wrap feels really good and appears to be durable and quality stitching along one side, the embossed ARGUS and surround is really nice, the 'metallic' framework is actually plastic and screwed into place , everything feels solid and high quality.

The screen and fire / adjustment buttons are placed well and feel intuitive, I really like the tactile click to the buttons and the little recess in the fire button works well, the screen is superb, very bright and easy to read (even for my older eyes).

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-5.jpg

The battery door is placed at the base and feels sturdy, there are battery orientation markings embossed onto the door contacts and fitting batteries is pretty effort free, the USB-C (yay!) is in a discreet position on one side with a silicone bung to protect it from pocket lint etc.

There is absolutely nothing I don't like about the mod, more to the point I love pretty much everything about this cracking little bit of kit aesthetically, lets just hope it performs as good as it looks.

Some reviewers have likened the style to Lost Vape products, this is not a bad thing as such, there are similarities to the Therion but not enough to be anything like a clone, VooPoo have created something rather classy and managed to pack it into an amazingly compact chassis.

PnP Tank
Quite opposite to the mod, I really didn't like the look of the tank in the pics I had seen, to the point I was sure I wouldn't like it, it was the way it bulges out that put me off, so I was quite surprised that I ended up really liking the simplicity and innovation of it.

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-PnP-Tank.jpg

Pod / Tank????
As far as I'm concerned it is clearly a stock coil tank but with innovation in the way it is assembled and connects, essentially it is 3 pieces; 510 base, magnetic bottom fill tank section & coil.

Coil fitting is one of the simplest I have come across, press fit with no orientation concerns, a couple of seconds to fit a new coil is all it takes, filling is painless also which is achieved via a silicone bung on the base of the tank and large enough for any short-fill bottle I have, viewing your juice is perfect and no messy overfilling, popping the tank into the 510 adaptor is so easy and dare I say; satisfying!

Despite my reservations I couldn't help but admire this PnP tank, rather than my perceived con it turns out to be a big pro, especially after vaping it.

There’s only one slight niggle I have, and that’s not actually anything to do with the tank itself, it’s more with VooPoo’s claim “Adopts innovative infinite airflow system” eeeerm…. Just no! there is nothing innovative or infinite about it, basically the airflow ring doesn’t have any stops on it and there are 2 air slots as we’ve seen on hundreds of previous tanks, niggle over.

Performance

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-7.jpg

Onto the best part, I will be going into full operations in my main review, but all you need to know at this point is prime up a coil, fill up the tank and lob the tank into the base and vape in SMART mode.

My previous doubts about the PnP tank were blown away immediately with the first vape on the 0.15Ω Coil, at the auto smart wattage of 65 Watts the flavour burst through in a nice warm smooth vape, the airflow came through just right without any irritating noises, I’ve tested so many tanks and pods that it’s rare I get that ‘Whoa’ moment so I was taken aback by how damn well the Argus GT performed, the flavour is right up there with the best I have tried and the whole feel of the mod & the comfort of the tank simply brought a smile to my face, from that first moment I knew that the Argus GT had jumped into my Best Of 2020 list.

Tanks a lot
So how does the Argus GT look with some other tanks on top? Not too bad as it happens but you can see just how compact the mod really is, I did try the new Vandy Vape MATO RDTA on it and it looked a bit silly due to its height.

VooPoo_Argus_GT_Kit-Tanks.jpg

Conclusion
I will kick off with the Argus GT is clearly in the running for the best affordable Mod & Tank kit of 2020 in my book, the mod alone is worth the money and whether you like the tank or not, it’s a bonus and certainly worth a try, it proved me wrong and even though I fully intended on putting another tank onto the mod after the review period I have ended up ordering more VM6 coils for the PnP Tank.

VooPoo have come up with a cracking bit of kit and managed to offer something new to the market and gone back to the core of vaping with a traditional Mod/Tank combo, yes the tank has ‘pod’ elements but there’s no way you could class this as a Pod Kit, I can’t see much innovation in the mod itself but who cares when you end up with something that looks and feels this good.

Pros
• So Purdy.
• Compact and lightweight.
• Value for money.
• PnP tank works well.
• Flavour is outstanding.
• Ergonomic.
• Looks and feels classy.
• Pocket friendly dual 18650 mod.
• It aint no piece of poo!

Cons
• Tank shape might be off-putting to some.
• Sleep to Vape extra step can be irritating.
• It has the word ‘Poo’ on it.

Final thoughts & rating
The cons are very minor and nothing close to a deal breaker, the tank is worth a punt despite how you feel it looks in pictures and even if you end up not using the tank you are left with a gorgeous looking dual 18650 mod, for the price I doubt anyone would feel cheated, a bargain if I ever saw one.
(I almost managed to complete the review without talking about ‘poo’)

Score: 9/10
One of 2020’s best buys.

Leaning towards a 9.5/10 but the tank shape dipped it a little.

Cheers for this. It’s a nice in-depth review, I’m edging towards the PNP tank after getting the little Argus Air and hearing all the good stuff being said.

Cheers for this. It’s a nice in-depth review, I’m edging towards the PNP tank after getting the little Argus Air and hearing all the good stuff being said.
Thank you @Coolie27 :)

Hopefully the MTL tank should arrive in the next few days, I get the feeling it might look a bit odd on this setup, as in too wide for 2ml so I can see me wanting a Drag X as I don't like the look of the Poo shaped V.Suit or the 1200mAh battery.

Thank you @Coolie27 :)

Hopefully the MTL tank should arrive in the next few days, I get the feeling it might look a bit odd on this setup, as in too wide for 2ml so I can see me wanting a Drag X as I don't like the look of the Poo shaped V.Suit or the 1200mAh battery.

I might hang fire for your thoughts on the MTL tank. No pressure [emoji3]

Stunning review, great pics and infos.

I hope Voopoo can short the stupid extra push after iddle with a firmware upgrade or something; also, the 103w cap it has right now (it announces 160w FFS)

Other than that, I agree, great mod and the PnP tank is a surprise. Not the tank in itself, but the PnP coils man... Im amazed. I have tried the GTX ones before, but this ones from Voopoo have something more, I cant explain, but being basically the same thing the Voopoo ones achieve an unexpected good performance. Im not saying the GTX ones are bad, those are outstanding also.

Back
Top Bottom