What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Voodoo drag 2 platinum and maat tank

Purplefowler

Administrator
Staff member
This was sent to me by @VOOPOO for the purpose of review but the opinions are my own and will be as honest as I can be. This review is my own and does not represent the views of Potv. I also need to apologise for the lack of photos, having a few technical issues with both my phone and my email but once sorted, I will add some photos too

I will split this review down in to the two parts and it really is a review of two halves. so let's start with the drag 2 platinum...

It arrived well packaged, with a little book of words and a charging lead and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the look of it. I've always been put off the drag because of that massive logo but once I had it in my hand, it actually looks pretty cool. Any 3d printing fans will appreciate the graphic as it looks like a perfectly laid down first layer, really rather satisfying! It is very shiny which looks great out of the box but after a short while in my sweaty hands, it didn't look so posh, lol! I like the buttons, especially the concave shape of the fire button, and they all respond nicely with a firm but satisfying click. I had no issue with any sharp bits, everything was finished to a high standard. The resin back plate is ok, Im not really a fan of the look but it gives a nice tactile quality in the hand.

I won't go in to the various functions of the gene chip as Ive already gone through that in my review of the excellent x217 mod but I will still say that this is one of my favour chips of all time, very easy to use and it works without fault. It can be as easy as you want it to be but has more than enough features to keep the most demanding vaper happy. Because I'm not a natural subohmer, I let the chip work its magic and it looked after me very well.

So it would seem that I really like this mod....but I have an issue. That door, what is that all about? The magnets hold it very securely in place, it isn't going to come loose, so why the hell does the door not fit?!?! There is a couple of mm movement in all directions and nothing I could do would stop it. It completely lets down what should be a great mod, but the distraction in your hand is just too much and if you are a picky bugger like me, this will do your head in. It is an absolute deal breaker and I cannot understand why the drag had been shipped with this gaping issue. As I said, its not like the magnet isn't strong enough either, If you put it down near something metal, it will get stuck to the door (I managed to pick up nail clippers and get it stuck to my metal belt buckle!). Another big negative is that it has a fixed pin in the 510 and I found a few of my tanks would not connect which was disappointing as I was looking forward to trying it with a variety of tanks.

So in summary, this could be a great mod, cool looks and great performance, but Voopoo really need to sort that door out!

So on to the maat tank. Now as I said, I am not a native subohmer so I was a little wary about this one. Every time Ive tried it before, Ive ended up with a horribly hot vape and an instantly burnt coil which just isn't my idea of a nice vape! But I was prepared to give it an open minded go and I have to say, this really did impress me. It comes with a nice bag of spares and a second coil as well as a straight glass tank section. Man those coils are big buggers! It was my first experience of mesh coils so I was really spreading my horizons, lol! Now I am also a bit of an idiot sometimes. The instruction book said to press a button on top to open the fill hole/top cover, and I tried for ages but the button would not work. So I finally gave in and asked my other half to take a look and within a few seconds he worked out that I had been trying to press the hinge and the button I needed was actually on the side of the top cap...DOH! So once that was sorted, it was very easy to fill although you do need fairly pointy bottle nozzles. I let it sit to prime for a few minutes and stuck it on the drag. It asked if it was a new coil so I said yes and it decided I needed 70W for the best vape (this is one of the best features of the gene chip, I love it!). Now I normally vape at around 16-20w so I was very apprehensive but I braced myself and took a gentle puff and it was bloody lovely! So much flavour, it was dancing on my tongue. I played with the airflow but really it just needs to be set to open. I know it has this revolutionary mid air flow tech, in reality I didn't notice anything crazy but it does most definitely do the job very well. In a very short time, I'd vaped my first tank down and I have to say I really enjoyed it, it was an incredibly satisfying vape and even chain vaping could not produce even the hint of a dry hit. I then set to seeing how ling it would take to gunk the coil so I pulled out my sweetest coil killer juices, guango and mexican fried ice cream with extra banana. Now wither of these can kill and coil very fast even at my usual vaping style but after 6 tank fills, it was still working with no degradation of flavour or vapour. The cotton was juice coloured after this but no sign of any burnt crap. This was very impressive indeed. This tank has managed to change my opinion of subohm vaping, I finally get it.

Build quality is mostly very nice, it doesn't feel like a cheap tank. I usually only use high end gear and this didn't feel like any big step down. The easy fill lid is firm and fits well. The threads are clean and feel good. I actually couldn't swap ou the glass sections as this fit is so good, I couldn't get the bulb glass out. Changing coils is very easy, just unscrew the bottom, pull the old out and pop a new one in. It is pretty idiot proof (which is handy!). I had no leaks, drips of dribbles and no spit back.

The only negative is the part you unscrew to fit the new coils. It all fits but I found it could be a little tighter as a couple of times I took the tank off and that but got left on the mod. When you tighten the tank on to the mod, it just screws the base down slightly too much so when you unscrew it, the base stays put. It is also the only part that doesn't have the same high quality feel as the rest of the tank.

As a pair the drag and the maat are a great set that work superbly together and I would definitely recommend the tank. The drag could be a great device too but that door needs to be sorted out. For the moment though, I would chose the X217 with the maat and you've got a really good cloudy vape set up.

Many thanks again to Voopoo for sending me these to try.

I’ve also noticed a discrepancy between the two voopoo mods. When I put the maat on the drag, it selects 70w but on the x217 it prefers 45w. This is without changing anything, just unscrewing it from one and plonking it on the other. I’ve swapped back and forth several times to double check and it consistently comes up with the same settings. I don’t know if this is because I’m using 18650s in the x217 but I can’t think of any other reason for this difference.

I’ve also noticed a discrepancy between the two voopoo mods. When I put the maat on the drag, it selects 70w but on the x217 it prefers 45w. This is without changing anything, just unscrewing it from one and plonking it on the other. I’ve swapped back and forth several times to double check and it consistently comes up with the same settings. I don’t know if this is because I’m using 18650s in the x217 but I can’t think of any other reason for this difference.

Will double check this and report back

This was sent to me by @VOOPOO for the purpose of review but the opinions are my own and will be as honest as I can be. This review is my own and does not represent the views of Potv. I also need to apologise for the lack of photos, having a few technical issues with both my phone and my email but once sorted, I will add some photos too

I will split this review down in to the two parts and it really is a review of two halves. so let's start with the drag 2 platinum...

It arrived well packaged, with a little book of words and a charging lead and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the look of it. I've always been put off the drag because of that massive logo but once I had it in my hand, it actually looks pretty cool. Any 3d printing fans will appreciate the graphic as it looks like a perfectly laid down first layer, really rather satisfying! It is very shiny which looks great out of the box but after a short while in my sweaty hands, it didn't look so posh, lol! I like the buttons, especially the concave shape of the fire button, and they all respond nicely with a firm but satisfying click. I had no issue with any sharp bits, everything was finished to a high standard. The resin back plate is ok, Im not really a fan of the look but it gives a nice tactile quality in the hand.

I won't go in to the various functions of the gene chip as Ive already gone through that in my review of the excellent x217 mod but I will still say that this is one of my favour chips of all time, very easy to use and it works without fault. It can be as easy as you want it to be but has more than enough features to keep the most demanding vaper happy. Because I'm not a natural subohmer, I let the chip work its magic and it looked after me very well.

So it would seem that I really like this mod....but I have an issue. That door, what is that all about? The magnets hold it very securely in place, it isn't going to come loose, so why the hell does the door not fit?!?! There is a couple of mm movement in all directions and nothing I could do would stop it. It completely lets down what should be a great mod, but the distraction in your hand is just too much and if you are a picky bugger like me, this will do your head in. It is an absolute deal breaker and I cannot understand why the drag had been shipped with this gaping issue. As I said, its not like the magnet isn't strong enough either, If you put it down near something metal, it will get stuck to the door (I managed to pick up nail clippers and get it stuck to my metal belt buckle!). Another big negative is that it has a fixed pin in the 510 and I found a few of my tanks would not connect which was disappointing as I was looking forward to trying it with a variety of tanks.

So in summary, this could be a great mod, cool looks and great performance, but Voopoo really need to sort that door out!

So on to the maat tank. Now as I said, I am not a native subohmer so I was a little wary about this one. Every time Ive tried it before, Ive ended up with a horribly hot vape and an instantly burnt coil which just isn't my idea of a nice vape! But I was prepared to give it an open minded go and I have to say, this really did impress me. It comes with a nice bag of spares and a second coil as well as a straight glass tank section. Man those coils are big buggers! It was my first experience of mesh coils so I was really spreading my horizons, lol! Now I am also a bit of an idiot sometimes. The instruction book said to press a button on top to open the fill hole/top cover, and I tried for ages but the button would not work. So I finally gave in and asked my other half to take a look and within a few seconds he worked out that I had been trying to press the hinge and the button I needed was actually on the side of the top cap...DOH! So once that was sorted, it was very easy to fill although you do need fairly pointy bottle nozzles. I let it sit to prime for a few minutes and stuck it on the drag. It asked if it was a new coil so I said yes and it decided I needed 70W for the best vape (this is one of the best features of the gene chip, I love it!). Now I normally vape at around 16-20w so I was very apprehensive but I braced myself and took a gentle puff and it was bloody lovely! So much flavour, it was dancing on my tongue. I played with the airflow but really it just needs to be set to open. I know it has this revolutionary mid air flow tech, in reality I didn't notice anything crazy but it does most definitely do the job very well. In a very short time, I'd vaped my first tank down and I have to say I really enjoyed it, it was an incredibly satisfying vape and even chain vaping could not produce even the hint of a dry hit. I then set to seeing how ling it would take to gunk the coil so I pulled out my sweetest coil killer juices, guango and mexican fried ice cream with extra banana. Now wither of these can kill and coil very fast even at my usual vaping style but after 6 tank fills, it was still working with no degradation of flavour or vapour. The cotton was juice coloured after this but no sign of any burnt crap. This was very impressive indeed. This tank has managed to change my opinion of subohm vaping, I finally get it.

Build quality is mostly very nice, it doesn't feel like a cheap tank. I usually only use high end gear and this didn't feel like any big step down. The easy fill lid is firm and fits well. The threads are clean and feel good. I actually couldn't swap ou the glass sections as this fit is so good, I couldn't get the bulb glass out. Changing coils is very easy, just unscrew the bottom, pull the old out and pop a new one in. It is pretty idiot proof (which is handy!). I had no leaks, drips of dribbles and no spit back.

The only negative is the part you unscrew to fit the new coils. It all fits but I found it could be a little tighter as a couple of times I took the tank off and that but got left on the mod. When you tighten the tank on to the mod, it just screws the base down slightly too much so when you unscrew it, the base stays put. It is also the only part that doesn't have the same high quality feel as the rest of the tank.

As a pair the drag and the maat are a great set that work superbly together and I would definitely recommend the tank. The drag could be a great device too but that door needs to be sorted out. For the moment though, I would chose the X217 with the maat and you've got a really good cloudy vape set up.

Many thanks again to Voopoo for sending me these to try.
Hi Purple. Just out of curiosity, only because I've been seeing on the net in other places the Matt tank has only just got into reviewers hands days ago. How long have you tested it and the coils for?

Hi Purple. Just out of curiosity, only because I've been seeing on the net in other places the Matt tank has only just got into reviewers hands days ago. How long have you tested it and the coils for?
Flat out since Thursday and that included being up all night on Friday night and vaping to keep warm as it was bloody freezing. I’m going to keep going and will report back when the coil goes off the boil (would have liked more time before posting the review tbh but there was a time deadline to meet!)

Back
Top Bottom