What's new

Vaporesso Gen S Kit - Thoughts/Review

oORobOo

Achiever
Introduction

Hi guys, I hope you're all well. I was lucky enough to win this kit in a giveaway from @DeeDee and was asked to provide some feedback on this kit. This is my own honest opinion on the kit. I'll just be doing my thoughts on the mod and the coils since there are already hundreds of reviews out there but I'll go a little more in depth on the tank.

GenSOver.png

Kit Contents

1 x Gen S Mod
1 x NRG-S Tank
1 x GT4 Meshed Coil
1 x GT Meshed Coil
1 x Extra Glass Tube (5ml)
4 x O-Rings
1 x Micro USB Cable

Gen S Mod

The Gen S is basically the original Gen mod with a few new nice colours added to the range. Since there are so many good reviews on here and elsewhere for this mod I'll go straight into my opinion.

For myself and many others the Gen is the best dual battery mod of 2019 and the Gen S could well be the best dual battery mod of 2020. The manufacturing of the mod is of very high standard, it's ergonomic and has a very nice feel to it. The AXON chip is exceptional, particularly so for a mod of this price. It's intuitive to use and caters extremely well to a vast audience. The Gen S is a truly great mod.

My Rating - 9.2/10

Coils

These have been available for a good while and there's plenty of info out there on these so again straight into my thoughts. Please note this was my first time using these particular coils in the GT range and I would usually go through a few different batches before posting my opinion.

GT Meshed Coil - I struggled a little bit with this coil on the NRG-S tank and ended up using it in another tank to form my full opinion (more on that later). The flavour is only o.k for me, I did expect more given it being mesh and with Vaporesso's track record of making great coils. The coil provides a lot of airflow and I found the vapor a bit drying when I ran it wide open on the NRG S at 60 watts, closing the airflow down a bunch quickly resolved this though. Vapor production was good for a coil of this size. I'm still currently using this coil so I will update this with its coil life once it's dead but so far...

My Rating 5.5/10

GT4 Meshed Coils - The flavour on these for a coil of this size is very impressive. I was running it at either 55 watts with the airflow closed 40% or 60 Watts with it near full open but if you like a cool vape you could quite happily run this coil at 40 watts with reduced airflow. The airflow through the coil is more restrictive than on the single mesh and is pretty much spot on for me. Vapor production is also very good as you would expect. And now sadly there's a massive but... There was a flavour drop at 400 puffs, I had been very kind to the coils slowly working them in, using good quality clean 70/30 liquid and staying well below the max rating of the coil but immediately knew it wasn't going to last long. I then kept the watts down at 55 but sure enough at 750 puffs the coil was well and truly dead; I've had coils that were in better condition at 4,000 puffs. I did a search and found quite a lot of people who had experienced these coils burning out even within a tank or so of juice, it seems the quality is inconsistent and there's quite a lot of duds out there.

My Rating 6/10

*It is really nice to see Vaporesso still developing coil technology and making them so that they are still compatible with older devices, others would do well to do the same.

NRG-S Tank

The NRG-S is the new tank that comes with the Gen S kit and the soon to be released Luxe 2 kit (which looks very promissing indeed). While I say 'new' it is very similar to the original NRG tank which is approximately 3 years old now, it does have some subtle differences though.

The Kit I received came with the 8ml bubble glass tank with a spare 5ml glass tube. It measures 56mm tall from the base to the top of the drip tip and is 30mm wide with the bubble glass installed, eyeballing it it looks like the base is actually about 25mm but I have no way to accurately measure it. If you get the TPD version it's got a 2ml capacity and is 47.5mm tall by 22mm wide. If you get the TPD version you'll probably want to pick up an extension kit/bubble glass for it separately.

Build Quality - The NRG-S tank is well made, it feels nice and solid but the threading could be a little smoother. Everything is nice and tight but sometimes a little too tight.

Aesthetics - Classic looking sub ohm tank. The main difference look wise over the rest of the NRG series is the addition of knurling to both the too cap and base, it's very nicely done and I much prefer this finish to the old jutty metal bits (for lack of a better term). Most importantly the tank properly matches the mod! This is very nice to see as it happens all too often that you get a kit where it looks like they've just chucked a random tank in. One very small gripe is that 'Vaporesso' is printed above the airflow ring and it's just kind of been chucked on there not central to anything, not great for my OCD.

Drip Tip - A wide 510 Delrin drip tip is included in the kit but no spare, it's a nice drip tip but some may be disappointed it's not an 810 with an adapter included. There are 2 o-rings on the drip tip and it fits very snug. In my case it fits too snug as it is very difficult to pull off, you cant twist and pull it off either as one way unscrews the top part of the top cap and the other way opens the slide to fill port. Not a huge deal unless you need to remove it to fill up the tank but it's just a problem that shouldn't exist.

Top Cap - The top clap includes a slide to fill system which slides back and to the side slightly, it's a little bit looser than on my old NRG but so far it's not been an issue. I tried filling with 60ml, 120ml and 240ml bottles and just about managed to get them all in the fill port, the drip tip does provide a bit of a problem with the 120ml bottles though and ideally you would want to remove it when filling with wide necked bottles (if you can). The top cap unscrews to allow access to replace the seal around the fill port, whilst handy it does tend to unscrew when putting the tank onto a mod. The top cap also features a chimney that connects down to the coil and it does a good job of keeping heat away from the top of the tank.

Base - The base features 2 airflow slots on either side of the tank that when both fully open and closed and have a good amount of resistance. The airflow is very noisy and it's a massive con for me, anywhere below half closed when using the single coil was causing a full on whistle, you have to mess about a lot with the airflow and base of the coil to make the tank anywhere near quiet and for me its way below the standard I expect these days. There is leakage out of the base of the tank, particularly when filling and my first experience of the tank was to have a couple ml's come straight out the bottom for seemingly no reason, it hasn't happened as badly since but it's prone to it. The other problem I had with the base is that when I went to replace a coil it was very much stuck and was literally impossible to remove without the use of pliars, this happens pretty frequently with Vaporesso's tanks and after all this time I really hoped they would have figured it out.

Thoughts - I'm very sorry to have to say it but the tank has a lot of niggles and problems and overall just feels like a bit of a lazy effort. It's by no means terrible and you can get a very nice vape off it but they haven't addressed any of the 3 year old issues from the NRG. I feel like other manufacturers have upped their game the last few years on tanks and this is very much in the past, Vaporesso should have made something new for this kit.

My Rating 5/10

Overall

The Gen Mod is fantastic and is the reason for this kits rating.
The NRG-S is in the past.
The coils are great if you get a good batch.

Rating 8/10

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback on this kit.
Very good well written review ehich is what they should be imo.

Dee

Thanks DeeDee, much appreciated :) I'll come back and update it once I've used a bunch more coils as it seems 90% of the time they are all good.

Thanks for sharing mate.
Liked your review but I must disagree with the coils, specially the GT Mesh.

In my experience with other users and mates that owns the GEN or the GEN S, the default activated "pulse mode" is a coil toaster. Not only do not provide the expected result, it literally burns out the coils. That pulse, that constant micro increments of power along the pull, tend to overheat the coils. As a result, you got vapor and a destroyed flavour.

Im using the GT Mesh since I started vaping and after tested almost all the other compatible coils, those are in my top 3 for flavour and longevity. Running a 60w (plain WV-N) with fully open AF, I can take out 2/2.5K puffs and then clean them for another go.

The GT4 Mesh is another story... 33% of that coils do not worked fine for me. Or they dont wick good, or they burnt out prematurely (just like the Eleaf HW-N and HW-M Dual) . And you just cant vape them at suggested 60/70w, you´ll get plenty of dry hits. At 50/55w and a low VG liquid will work fine. Not very good coils indeed. You can get some much more interesting options, no doubt. Even from Vaporesso: CCELLs and orginal GT4s are are far better than the GT4 mesh.

Other than that... Agreed with you :D

Sorry about the speech!

Thanks for sharing mate.
Liked your review but I must disagree with the coils, specially the GT Mesh.

In my experience with other users and mates that owns the GEN or the GEN S, the default activated "pulse mode" is a coil toaster. Not only do not provide the expected result, it literally burns out the coils. That pulse, that constant micro increments of power along the pull, tend to overheat the coils. As a result, you got vapor and a destroyed flavour.

Im using the GT Mesh since I started vaping and after tested almost all the other compatible coils, those are in my top 3 for flavour and longevity. Running a 60w (plain WV-N) with fully open AF, I can take out 2/2.5K puffs and then clean them for another go.

The GT4 Mesh is another story... 33% of that coils do not worked fine for me. Or they dont wick good, or they burnt out prematurely (just like the Eleaf HW-N and HW-M Dual) . And you just cant vape them at suggested 60/70w, you´ll get plenty of dry hits. At 50/55w and a low VG liquid will work fine. Not very good coils indeed. You can get some much more interesting options, no doubt. Even from Vaporesso: CCELLs and orginal GT4s are are far better than the GT4 mesh.

Other than that... Agreed with you :D

Sorry about the speech!

Hi mate, thanks for your input. :) That's totally fine it's always good to hear people's different experiences to give a better overall view, your comments nowhere near a speech you should've seen my post before I cut half of it out haha.

Yeah I maybe was unlucky with the single coil aswell, it is the first one I have used but after vaping mesh coils for a few years this particular coil just wasn't quite where I expected it to be flavour wise. I didn't end up using this coil on the Gen mod because of the noise issue, it got stuck in a NRG mini on a Switcher so the lack of flavour in my case wouldn't be to do with the pulse. Very much a preliminary opinion on the coils though as I've not gone through enough of them yet.

I didn't actually get any dry hits with the GT4 at all, but that may be because I spotted the flavour drop early on and then was cautious with them. But yeah I ran into your experience with them quite a few times searching around after it died early.

Thanks for reading my review and for sharing your thoughts/experience with the coils :)

*I highly rate the CCells aswell, def king as far as longevity go, never had a problem with them.

Last edited:
Good Review, I like a review that captivates me and i need to read it all, good job.

Nice review mate.

It's strange how experience can guide you though. I never had the orginal NRG tank and I really like this one. Probably because I've not had the old one to compare to. It's only the noise of the draw that slightly irriates me but the vapour and flavour override that for me, I've had no issues with the coils I got in the kit but again, I've never used the coils before either so have no comparison like you have.

Good Review, I like a review that captivates me and i need to read it all, good job.

Awww thanks mate, very kind of you. :)

Nice review mate.

It's strange how experience can guide you though. I never had the orginal NRG tank and I really like this one. Probably because I've not had the old one to compare to. It's only the noise of the draw that slightly irriates me but the vapour and flavour override that for me, I've had no issues with the coils I got in the kit but again, I've never used the coils before either so have no comparison like you have.

Thank you mate. Yeah it's just one of those things, surprising how often someone will really like a tank then go out and get 2 more and have nothing but problems with them and vice versa. Glad to hear that yours has performed better :)

Nice one @oORobOo . Most informative, cheers. I won one courtesy of @Gitchy in a giveaway, this week. Went to a mate. I can now pretend I know all about this kit when he next asks me questions I don't know the answers to.

Back
Top Bottom