What's new

Vapefly Kriemhild 80w Mod.

Astral

Achiever

VapeFly Kriemhild 80w Mod.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Healthcabin and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

DSCF1879 (2).JPG

Hot on the heels of the glorious Brunhilde side-by-side kit VapeFly are back with another new offering, this time with the gorgeous new Kriemhild 80w mod.

It’s about time too. It’s been well over fifteen months since they launched the original Kriemhild mod - the mammoth 200 watter - and they needed a small box mod to add to their stable.

Unlike the aforementioned 200 watter though this is a much smaller single battery mod and offers users a much more ergonomic hand feel rather than the giant and wide-bodied stances of their previous two offerings.

DSCF1852 (2).JPG DSCF1847 (2).JPG
DSCF1843 (2).JPG DSCF1855 (2).JPG

This is a timely and necessary release for VapeFly as it fills the gap for a small device in their line-up perfectly. They’ve already got tube mods, a big box mod and plenty of pods. But small box mods? No.

Oddly though, the kit version of this mod doesn’t come with the tank bearing its own name - it comes fitted with the Gunther sub-ohm tank.

The tank bearing the Kriemhild name comes fitted on it’s bigger 200w brother and the Brunhilde side-by-side mod, despite that name already being in use for two other of their iconic tanks - the DTL top-coiler and the MTL.

Quite why the 80w Kriemhild doesn’t come fitted with the Kriemhild and the Brunhilde side-by-side mod come fitted with the Brunhilde tank is a mystery known only to VapeFly, but what’s the betting there’s a Gunther Mod launched next with a tank bearing another similarly unrelated mystical Germanic name?

Confused? I know I am. But as long as VapeFly knows what they’re doing, that’s all that matters. And it seems they do.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter here because I’m not reviewing the tank today, I’m just reviewing the mod and in many ways I’m glad I am because it allows me to go into more detail about it - and the first of those details is about the buzzer.

The buzzer?

Yes, the buzzer. You heard me right.

This mod has a buzzer.

Well, I say buzzer, it's more of an alarm. And an alarm akin to a small Casio watch at that.

Not that I care, VapeFly has just won vaping as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve seen mods with decorative lights before but never heard of one with sounds. I feel like a kid in a toy shop.

Although that said, this isn’t a sound you want to hear. This is a warning buzzer, and it warns you of troubling things. Troubling things like your atomiser is shorting, your mod is too hot or you’re vaping too long. It also tells you when you’re fully charged.

It peeps in five sets of three for your warnings and one set of three for your charging.

Apparently it’s the brainchild of the ‘German 103 Team’ - an unspecified group of German vapers - who collaborate with VapeFly on their products and who they say of: ‘As a group of advanced vapers, they [the German 103 team] believe that safety is the most important factor of a product’. Well, as an un-advanced vaper I can only say I agree.

They may be an as yet unnamed group of German vapers, but it’s nice somebody’s thinking of your safety isn’t it? It makes me feel all warm and snuggly inside, or nannied…

And with the advanced 3S chip Vapefly uses in this mod the protections don’t end there either, there’s a host of other built-ins to take care of you, six in total: short-circuit, over charge, over heat, over current, reverse battery connection and a ten second cut off.

It seems they really do take our safety seriously.

Whether the buzzer really adds anything to the proceedings when you’ve already got those other protections is a moot point, but I suspect they’ve gone with it so they can go with the minimalist screen and keep the mod’s lines clean.

The dinky little 0.49” OLED they’ve fitted is pretty sparse, and there certainly isn’t too much room for warnings on it, but it does show them, although whether they catch your attention is another matter.

And putting the screen on top of the mod behind the front-set 510 plate does do the job of aiding the looks.

DSCF1865 (2).JPG DSCF1900 (2).JPG

This mod is certainly a bit of a looker, albeit a simplistic elegant sort of looker.

Nevertheless, I approve of it enormously and the screen functions perfectly well despite not being particularly characterful.

It doesn’t even have any colours. It’s simply a white on black monochrome.

However, it does include all your basic information like your battery level, your wattage, your resistance and your voltage so you can’t complain.

Looks wise, it really does make it appear pretty tasty though.

The mod is a petite 87.5 x 43.7 x 30mm that tapers to the back from the wider front and features a nice, smooth, overlaid three-quarter metal section wrapped front to back.

The three power and selection buttons that run down the back of the mod are elegant and tactile with a nice textured, chevroned or striped detailing that makes them a pleasure to caress.

DSCF1858 (2).JPG DSCF1861 (2).JPG DSCF1874 (2).JPG

On top of the mod, you have that front-set 510 plate with a shiny, tapered screen behind, and on the bottom there’s a battery cap with a nicely flush and well machined vented D-Ring screw-in plate.

DSCF1884 (2).JPG DSCF1889 (2).JPG
DSCF1890 (2).JPG

The whole look and feel of this mod is premium and the minimalist detailing of just a smooth, oblong stealthily branded insert on the sides keeps it feeling very classy indeed.

The colour choices are classy too. There’s black, black and gold, silver and gunmetal options all available for your selection.

In use, the Kriemhild mod functions impeccably and does everything it’s designed to do well, although this is just a very basic mod with only variable wattage and bypass modes available as your options. There’s no variable voltage, temperature control or variable power curve on offer here.

Three clicks of the power button lets you choose your mode and you can flip your screen if you happen to live in Australia or be a finger firer.

The power ranges from 5-80w or 0.5-8v, and it takes a single 20700/21700 battery - or a single 18650 by way of an included adapter. Charging is by USB Type-C at 5v/2amp via a port located below the buttons.

Naturally with VapeFly being VapeFly, the packaging is of a premium nature too.

The mod comes in a thick, topped, sleeved box nicely laid out in a foam tray with its peripherals of a USB Type-C cable, user manual and warranty card placed…… and, for me it just feels a bit more special than the rest.

DSCF1911 (2).JPG DSCF1916 (2).JPG

Whether it’s the design, the colours, the branding, I don’t know but somehow it just feels as if it’s got an air of exclusivity about it that goes beyond other mods. Perhaps it’s because VapeFly aren’t so mass-market, you feel a bit more special despite paying no more for it.

Call it elitism, but I like that it’s not generic and I will happily show it off to my friends.

It might not have all the latest gizmos but whatever you lose in terms of functionality and snazzy on-screen graphics you more than make up for with class and aesthetics, so unless you really want exotic vaping like temperature control or variable power curves, then this is a good choice.

For me it’s all worthwhile and this mod fits my needs perfectly - even if it does sound like a Casio watch.

The alarm might be a bit Mickey Mouse but this mod isn’t and it’s certainly one to savour.

So once again VapeFly and the German 103 team have got a winner on their hands here and thanks to them, I’ve got one in mine.

So with that I bid you so long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen and goodnight. Und dankeschön an die Deutschen.

If you’d like one you can get one from @Healthcabin here for the price of $50.99. You can also get 30% off just for signing in and a further 10% for being a new customer.

@Healthcabin is also one of the biggest vape wholesale distributors in China. If you're a vape business owner, just contact them to get competitive wholesale prices.

It is a lovely looking mod, one that I have been keeping an eye on. Your review isn't exactly helping my shinyitus out much, so you must have done a good job :)

too wordy for me cba'ed wading through that lot, pictures of the mods look nice but my takeaway is... healthcabin?!? Landfill bound after crushing by customs, I'm out ;)

too wordy for me cba'ed wading through that lot, pictures of the mods look nice but my takeaway is... healthcabin?!? Landfill bound after crushing by customs, I'm out ;)

it has an alarm, you can use it to make sure you don’t burn yer fish fingers. :)

Great review mate. Looks like a winner.

Thanks @rew, it's definitely another good one. I'd but if if I hadn't been sent it. It's a keeper for sure.

No problem @John R. Wordiness is a criticism I throw at myself too. I like to be interesting in my reviews and set myself apart in some way, but it's also a curse. It's why I struggle so much and need to do fewer of them. Recently, they've become a source of stress for me rather than a pleasure, and I'll probably take a little break from them soon.

The mod is a good one though, don't let me put you off. It's good a good solid, classy feeling unit like a lot of the other Vapefly products I've tested. They're certainly one of my favourites, I always look forward to a Vapefly device arriving.

Back
Top Bottom