What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

HugoVapor Asura

nwhornet

Legend
Louder than an Essex girl on Prosecco aka HugoVapor Asura

*This was provided by HugoVapor for review but these are my thoughts & conclusions based on my experiences. I have no affiliation to either POTV or any vendors*

This review is for the HV Asura, advertised as a 2 in 1 regulated/squonk mod. The premise being that it can be used as a regular mod by removing the squonk section or as a regulated squonk mod when the section is fitted. More on the pros 7 cons of such a set up later.

In the box
IMG_20190321_213426.jpg

The mod comes well packaged along with the usual USB cable, multilingual manual (including Chinglish) & warranty/battery safety cards.

Specs

Wattage 1-228w

Resistance 0.06 – 3ohms

Screen 0.96 OLED

TC Range 100 – 315c (200 -600f)

TC Materials Ni, Ti, SS

Materials Zinc alloy/Stainless

6/7ml bottle capacity
IMG_20190428_143553.jpg

What is it?
IMG_20190427_151630.jpg

This mod is an attempt to provide a regulated mod with the option of adding a squonk section for increased juice capacity over using a tank. As a concept it is one I’ve not seen before & on paper seems a good idea. Unfortunately I feel it’s not been a well thought out solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. Personally I use either a regulated mod with a tank, reg squonker or mech squonker & when out & about reg mod & mech squonker. For somebody who hasn’t dabbled with squonking I can see it being a cheapish way to indulge without forking out for 2 mods so maybe there is a market. For someone like myself who has acquired mods to cover all my needs it’s been no more than a novelty.

There are a number of issues that I found with this straight away.

1. The squonk section is held in position by magnets, meaning any pressure causes movement.

2. The squonk bottle is specific to this mod, so no 3rd party bottles will fit.

3. The juice has to travel through a push fit connection between squonk & body, which has shown signs of leaking.

4. There is a blanking disc that can be fitted over the body connection but this kept falling out when in tank mode.

5. The squonk section isn’t a good fit.

There a couple of other niggly things but they might just be me being too picky.

In use

Battery door has been fine, no issues, and + & - are stamped into the metal connector strip. I have had issues with the 510 though, more on that later.

Standard mode

Covering standard mode first, this is a capable 2 battery mod with a claimed output of 228w in power mode with Soft, Normal & Power+ options (2 clicks on fire button to access menu), usual range of materials & temps in TC mode plus Bypass & Curve(3 clicks on fire button to access menu). Usual battery status, power/temp, mode info on the screen but, for me it’s too cluttered with clock/puff counter/puff time/v/A all being displayed. The screen itself isn’t the brightest even on max & is hard to read. On camera the display looks blue but it’s a dullish yellow, probably due to the screen cover looks like smoked plastic (to keep the black look I guess). With a tank on it’s performed no better or worse than any other non DNA mod I’ve owned, although I found Power+ a touch lively for my tastes. I gave it a go with the same SS set up for TC as on the Nickel & it performed adequately. No noticeable pulsing on either a tank or RDA & no dry hits. There is an issue I alluded to earlier regarding the 510. The spring loaded pin must be on steroids because two times I had a Supreme V2 nearly pushed out of my hand when removing. Also I’ve had problems putting various atties on as the thread doesn’t seem to catch on shortish 510 pins. The Profile Unity wouldn’t even go on despite being able to use it on other mods with a gasket so the issue is with the mod.
IMG_20190428_143457.jpg

Squonk mode

I’ve been banging my head against the wall with this in squonk mode. To start with the 510 issues meant it was awkward getting the Profile RDA on. Once on the squonk system just didn’t deliver enough juice, I nearly emptied the bottle to get the wick wet, not an issue on any other mod. It meant I felt like I was bordering on dry hits & was not enjoyable. I swapped it for a Drop as this has a juice well you can see it fill up but in reality not much better. I eventually settled on the Drop Solo & Dead Rabbit SQ ass being single coil was easier to maintain wet wicks. Once running it was ok, nothing new as regards quality of vape but I think the confidence had gone & I was always apprehensive of not getting enough juice up. I’m guessing the issue is stemming from the less than air tight connection between the two sections letting in air with the juice. As to the bottle itself, the tube isn’t a tight fit in either the cap or to the pipework leading to the 510. Also because it’s opposite the buttons I did catch either the up/down or fire button when squeezing.

Conclusion

As a regulated 2 cell mod it’s ok, let down by a badly cluttered/dim screen. It’s nice in the hand& not too heavy. As a 2 in 1 personally it’s a waste of time. Far too many issues to be, for me, a viable alternative to carrying 2 mods. Non standard bottles is another no no & they don’t supply a spare.

As said at the start it appears to be a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist and has been poorly executed.

Not so much “louder than an Essex girl on Prosecco” but more “drawn on the back of a beer mat after a heavy session”

Oh and who wants a bright yellow mod. It might match my football teams colours but even they outperform this.

Guess what, this will be given away in the Comps section so keep an eye out & thanks for reading if you’ve got this far.

A very good review, you might have trouble giving it away after the less than glowing review, lol.

Nice review.

I like the branding on the side, apart from that it's just a concept design.

Back
Top Bottom