What's new

Geekvape Obelisk 120FC 'Z' Kit.

Astral

Achiever

GeekVape Obelisk 120 FC Z Kit.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Sourcemore and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

DSCF9368 (2).JPG

Okay, so before I begin I have a small confession to make, I've never actually reviewed a GeekVape product before. Sometimes I feel like the only one. I'm a GeekVape virgin if you like.

I guess that comes with the territory of being a geek myself, I suppose.

They’re such a big company my inexperience with them is a bit of an oddity so I've been looking forward to giving something of theirs a try.

So it's with that I'm delighted to have received my first GeekVape product - the Obelisk 120w FC (Fast Charge) Z kit.

Oddly though it's not a vape device, it's a power bank. Or at least that's how the sales pitch makes it feel.

Okay, I jest.

In truth, it's actually a 120w vape kit that doubles as a power bank and features fifteen minute 20v/3.25amp fast charging and 5v/2.4amp OTG reverse charging.

It's a bit of a curiosity though and the fast charging is something I'd like to try myself but as I don't have the special separately sold GeekVape fast charger, I'm afraid I can't and I'll need to defer to my trusted betters for that.

I'll only be able to test it as a vape. You can't fast charge it with an ordinary charger.

Apparently the fast charging does work though but it is said to replenish the internal 3700mah lithium-ion battery a little more heatedly than normal. Although GeekVape claims this never exceeds 45.8 degrees and it 'remains cool and safe'. Normal charging is a more standard 5v/2amp and takes around an hour and a half

Whether or not this affects battery life is also something of an unknown too. I guess we'll only find that out in time.

They say you'll get a million puffs out of it at 60w but I'm not sure anyone will be obsessive enough to record it.

But purely as a vape kit it's excellent and I can't have too many complaints.

The version I received comes with the Zeus tank but there is another version with the Obelisk one too.

At 130mm X 48.4mm X 27mm it's smaller than you expect and fits in the palm of the hand reasonably comfortably, although it is a little boxy. At 250g it's also reasonably light.

It might be a little boring in terms of looks but it has nice shiny panels on the sides and comes in a choice of four tasteful colours - black, blue, gunmetal/green and silver. It's nicely rounded on the front making it super ergonomic, but the polished side panels are unfortunately prone to collecting smudges and need frequent buffing if you want to keep them glossy.

DSCF9370 (2).JPG DSCF9377 (2).JPG
DSCF9373 (2).JPG DSCF9375 (2).JPG

It's fully featured too and if you're an anxious Annie like me you'll want for nothing. Not even a fool could get themselves into trouble with this.

There's more protection on offer here than from the mafia.

Overheat, low temperature, triple overvoltage, low voltage, charge and discharge overcurrent, short circuit and low ohm are all there. Heavens! I don't think I could mess it up if I tried.

The menu on the 0.96 TFT screen is equally populated too.

Click the power button three times and your select buttons take you through all your options: power mode, TCR-SS, TCR, VPC, bypass mode and OTG, or click it thrice and hold them down together and you scroll through your colours - but annoyingly these are reset after rebooting and you revert to the standard orange.

It makes the home screen seem positively sedate and thankfully only your normal things like your battery level, wattage, resistance, amps, volts and puffs are on display here.

The only thing it can't do is your homework!

DSCF9389 (2).JPG

My first experience of vaping it was extremely positive too and it only got better from there.

The airflow from the top-flow Zeus tank was abundant and the mod equally responsive. It was everything a DTL user could want.

With the pre-installed 0.2ohm (70 - 80w) and spare 0.4 (50 - 60w) Kanthal mesh Z coils there's nothing here for MTL users though so if you're an MTLer you're going to need a different tank for that.

The Zeus tank itself is a bit of a beast. It's a large 5ml affair, measuring 25mm at the base and widening at the glass. It is topped out with a removable 810 drip-tip.

It has a top-set, hard stopping airflow control ring and a quarter-turn screw-on top with standard kidney ports for filling.

The tank comes with a coil removal tool for ease of changing, and the flavour you get is terrific with vapour production cloudier than wet leaves on a bonfire.

DSCF9398 (2).JPG DSCF9399 (2).JPG
DSCF9405 (2).JPG DSCF9409 (2).JPG

The mod itself is equally proficient and has a super quick fire time and satisfying buttons.

It's a standard three button layout with your power/fire button above the screen and the horizontal side-by-side selection rocker button beneath, although the USB type-C port is on the side of the mod towards the base.

As for what you get in the box, that all depends entirely on your region and which version you get - there are many. GeekVape lists four on their website. Standard and TPD, with and without chargers.

Mine was the standard edition without the charger so I got the mod, the 5ml tank, a USB-C charging cable, a spare 0.4ohm coil, a coil removal tool, a spare parts pack and a spare 5ml glass tube.

DSCF9415 (2).JPG DSCF9418.JPG

Whether or not you think the fast charge is worthwhile is down to you. To be honest I can't help but feel it’s a bit of a gimmick and that fifteen minute charging is still slower than changing a couple of batteries, but if you like internal batteries or the convenience of having a mobile power bank for your phone, then this may be for you.

Purely as a vape device though it's hard to fault and an excellent performer. While not being the most stylish on the market it is elegant, and you can't complain about its build quality or performance. These are both excellent and the whole package feels well constructed.

I don't like the fact you have to buy the charger separately and feel if they're going to make such a play of fast charging they should at least include it as standard but the option to have one without does keep the price down. That said, the undiscounted cost is probably still a little on the expensive side as standard compared to its rivals.

Ultimately though, my first experience of a GeekVape product turned out to be a good one and I look forward to reviewing more of their products in the future.

I'd like to thank @Sourcemore for sending it to me for review and if you'd like one you can get one here for the special price of $58.39 using the code: OFCK.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review mate. Obviously not for a tootle puffer like me.

Thanks for the review mate. Obviously not for a tootle puffer like me.

Thanks @rew. No, it's not really for the tootle-puffers out there, it's a big beast, but the mod would still be good with a different tank on it.

It's an excellent unit bar the lack of screen colour memory. I really can't fathom that one.

Thanks @rew. No, it's not really for the tootle-puffers out there, it's a big beast, but the mod would still be good with a different tank on it.

It's an excellent unit bar the lack of screen colour memory. I really can't fathom that one.

I'm using mine just now with a profile RDTA and it is an excellent mod. I did buy the fast charger and it does charge super fast. Handy when you need it but if you're like a lot of us here you'll have several mods on the go.

It's weird cause my screen stays the same colour when I turn it off and on again and it doesn't revert back to the orange colour. Wonder if it's a timing thing. I'll turn mine off for a bit then see what happens.

Great stuff @Astral thanks for the review. I have enough mods at the moment, it's tanks I need but the mod does sound great!

I'm using mine just now with a profile RDTA and it is an excellent mod. I did buy the fast charger and it does charge super fast. Handy when you need it but if you're like a lot of us here you'll have several mods on the go.

It's weird cause my screen stays the same colour when I turn it off and on again and it doesn't revert back to the orange colour. Wonder if it's a timing thing. I'll turn mine off for a bit then see what happens.

If yours doesn't do it, it's more likely mine has a fault @Gitchy. Mine reverts as soon as I restart it, it's not a timing issue. Oddly, it retains everything else though.

If yours doesn't do it, it's more likely mine has a fault @Gitchy. Mine reverts as soon as I restart it, it's not a timing issue. Oddly, it retains everything else though.

That's a strange one mate. Must just be a glitch or something.

Back
Top Bottom