What's new

Ephro, cold steel 100

eyeball kid

Legend
The Ephro Cold steel 100 mod was sent to me for review by Ella @Sourcemore (or the lady with never ending patience). I can be a picky bugger.
My review does not represent the thoughts of POTV as a whole and for a full technical breakdown of the ephro cold steel with an excellent review I'd check out Athony's @red5 listed bellow.
What you get here is the mod, usb charge lead, battery adapter (this mod accepts 18650's, 20700's and 21700 batteries), a tough belt holder for the mod and the usual instruction manual, guarantee and battery safety card.

WP_20190815_14_25_11_Pro.jpg

As mentioned above, you have a choice of batteries that fit this beauty and ephro suggests using a 40amp cell to maximize safety at low ohms which means picking a good 21700. I'd avoid any rewrap style battery (have a chat to ben at fogstar if your unsure) I just (and I mean just managed to fit one of eleafs 21700 cells inside but it left me a little worried about how tight it was so switched to a sanyo.
If your the kind of vaper that sticks in the 10-50w zone and doesn't drop any lower than 0.3ohms then any size good quality battery is fine.
WP_20190825_14_57_27_Pro.jpg

The menu here is a breeze. The Cold Steel is a five clicks of the power button to switch on or off and three clicks to access the very simple menu.
All the standard options are available. Power, tc settings, bypass, boost, and tcr.
The tcr is very handy as the pre set temp control options are fine but a little "soft".
WP_20190825_14_58_22_Pro.jpg

Charging is via a 1.8 amp charge board so it's no slouch but not as fast as the likes of vaporesso and eleaf are delivering currently. Still quicker than a lot of mods I use and I'd still recommend charging via a dedicated battery charger if possible, even if just for safety.
WP_20190825_14_59_57_Pro.jpg

I liked the look of this mod the moment I set eyes on it. It's a collaboration between ephro ans ambitionz vaper apparently. One thing that surprised me was the size. I've included a photo next to a pico 21700 above for comparison so you can see it's a big boy (especially with the tank atop). With the larger battery choice it's still very stable due to it's sheer weight.
In use its incredibly comfortable with the power button just where you need it (if your a thumb or finger person). The menu is mercifully easy for anyone to get to grips with and it seems to deliver every bit of power it promises.
One issue that I know winds vape fans up is colour matching and this is where we have issue. It currently comes in black, gold (if that's your thing) and Champaign silver.
It looks great in the silver but finding a tank or rda to match is a pig.
Also it doesn't really look right with anything smaller than a 24mm atty (it will take up to 25mm without overhangs).
I've purposely taken photos with various rta's. The second photo has the ephro true on it, 3rd a 24mm fireluke mesh and finally a 24mm kayfun lite which in my mind "fits" best.
I've contacted ephro and ascertained that a pure silver model is on the way and I've also asked if perhaps a 24mm champagne true or one of the excellent bigger rta's they are producing will be made available with a matching finish (I will update you when I hear).
I like the idea of a matching 24mm true as I'm not a fan of bell tanks and it would make a very long running mtl set up.
I've had this mod in use all weekend while working using the belt holder and it's really handy and seems tough.
I still like it but need a suitable matching tank.
This fits between the single 18650 and dual 18650 mods as a middle ground. Great for long life low voltage vaping and will last you all day with a "sensible" sub ohm set up. Great for traditional drippers too who love mech style mods but enjoy a little fine tuning.
Thumbs up from eyeball so far.

If you'd like one of these bruisers for yourself, you can grab one here.

https://www.sourcemore.com/ehpro-cold-steel-100-box-mod.html

At under thirty quid, it's a bargain for what you get.
Again a huge thanks to Ella @Sourcemore for putting up with my whims.
Update: Ella has created a discount code for the cold steel use "STM"

Last edited:
Nice one mate. For some reason the mod on its own make me think "light sabre"!

Looks alright but I don't think there are 40A cells? Foggy doesn't have such a thing.

Looks alright but I don't think there are 40A cells? Foggy doesn't have such a thing.
Yeah. Should have been clearer but I was a tad sleep deprived.
The long and short seems to be that China seems to be using the false claims on some batteries as a get out of jail free card should some numpty cause a thermal runaway.
Your right, no major manufacturers are hitting 40amps currently but for general safety I'd recommend the highest amp 21700 (as these tend to be a little higher) if you plan to build super low ohm coils.
Vapers should always understand ohms law and how it can effect batteries (regulated or mech mod). If in doubt shout ben fogstar for help.

Yeah. Should have been clearer but I was a tad sleep deprived.
The long and short seems to be that China seems to be using the false claims on some batteries as a get out of jail free card should some numpty cause a thermal runaway.
Your right, no major manufacturers are hitting 40amps currently but for general safety I'd recommend the highest amp 21700 (as these tend to be a little higher) if you plan to build super low ohm coils.
Vapers should always understand ohms law and how it can effect batteries (regulated or mech mod). If in doubt shout ben fogstar for help.

It not your fault mate, but manufacturers are really starting to annoy me with this stuff .... at 120w and 3.2v you are going to be drawing over 40A, I expect it wouldn't even fire or give you 120w much past a fresh battery ... why not make it 100w so you could use a 30A cell down to a sensible voltage?

All it does is encourage the use and sale of all the cells with 40A on them that are really 20A under the wrapper... does my nut in. :D

Fully agree. I'd definitely recommend anyone looking at 75w or 80w for a 21700 as the usable ceiling per battery.
If your a 100w plus vaper then you'd need a minimum of two cell no matter if it's 18650/20700 or 21700 type and you'd be better off with a three cell mod.
That's why my esquare's last so bloody long between charging. Two cells with a 60w max.

I just got one of these today, I've been looking for a single 21700 mod for a while and I haven't found any that look better than this. I've been using it all day, so far I can't fault it at all. Feels great in the hand, easy to use, fires quick, looks super good with my Peacemaker single coil RTA. Some people might not love the AV logo on it but I like watching the guy's reviews, I have no problem with him or the logo on the mod. Overall it looks dope and for me it's much better looking than any other single 21700 mod out there. Here's how it looks with the Peacemaker on top, perfect match I think.

IMG_0774.jpg

Back
Top Bottom