What's new

Eleaf Rim / Melo 5 kit.

eyeball kid

Legend
This review represents my own thoughts and not necessarily those of POTV.
The Eleaf Rim kit was kindly supplied to me for review, by the kind folks at Eleaf.

WP_20190509_20_17_01_Pro.jpg

Today apes we have the new Eleaf Rim kit which is an 80w, 3000mah mod with internal battery and comes with the new Melo 5 4/2ml sub ohm tank.
WP_20190509_20_15_43_Pro.jpg

The kit comes as previously mentioned with the Rim mod, Melo v5 tank, spare 2ml glass section, pack of spare o rings and top fill grommet, manual and all important usb charge lead.
WP_20190509_20_17_11_Pro.jpg

First thing you'll see is this little mod has a vibrant finish. It's part of a new laminated design process that coats the mod in a protective rubber which then has a high quality photo style finish added before the high gloss finish.
The front display of the mod has a large colour matched bottom hinged fire button above the display with two plus and minus scroll buttons at the bottom all within an oblong panel on the fascia. To the rear of the mod there's a rubber strip that runs down the mod in a similar shape to the fascia to aid with grip.
WP_20190509_20_17_26_Pro.jpg

The Melo v5 here is in the 4ml size but also has the straight sided 2ml tank option included. The tank has two large airflow slots but can be closed down where you will find the option of two small hole airflow choices so this tank can believe it or not, be run in a mtl style.
The top fill system is impressive. You have to lift the top to enable the whole top to slide open and reveal the fill port. So no more loose top sections.
Also the fill port is covered with latex which has a slit running through it. This is genius as you bottle nib fits through without creating juice spillage on top and it prevents that annoying airlock situation where your juice pours back out at you.
The two coils included are both mesh. One is a 0.15 ohm which runs beautifully at 50w to 80w (I preferred 55w). The other is a pretty universal 0.6ohm steel mesh coil which can be run from about 18w to 30w. If you open the airflow and set this to 20w you have dense clean flavour at a wattage level that means your 3000mah mod is going to last you all day. Alternatively set the wattage to 18w and use the small airflow hole choices and you have a really good mtl vape (you may want to add your own drip tip). Despite the visual size of the supplied drip tip, it's a universal 510 fitting.
The coils are the classic eleaf hw size which means they're cross compatible with the Atlantis size coils and about a hundred other's should you wish to experiment but as my dinner lady lemon tart tasted about as good as I've ever tasted it in this tank, I can't see why you would.
I know what your thinking. What's with the crazy spiral design on the 4ml bulb glass eyeball. Well it's only on the 4ml but it's another good idea. It's actually a built in glass protector, should you tip your mod over. The design is a rubber that stands proud of the glass.. clever eh.
WP_20190509_20_18_08_Pro.jpg

The whole mod itself is a joy to use. The menu has all the latest features you'd expect from the latest mods. Full tcr and numerous settings including a smart little draw time graphic that you can adjust to your preference.
It really has been well thought out all round. The ergonomics are perfect in your palm. The rubber back panel really does help the mod stick tight to your paw.
The fire button is big and clicky. Zero rattle to be found here.
Despite the mod seeming like it may be a topple hazard it has again been designed with a good balance that's stable on the table.
This really is the natural successor to the classic indestructible I stick range.
WP_20190509_20_18_22_Pro.jpg

Now onto the usb lead and charge point. It's on the bottom. Boo.
But why. When I went to plug the usb lead in, I found out.
The supplied lead has a standard usb to micro usb design but when you pull the end it detached to reveal the latest 3.0 usb connection. The kind you'd find on an I pad air or latest galaxy phone. Why?. Because this mod has a super fast charging board. The literature says it will fully charge in 40 minutes but I ran this little mod down and it took a little over 30 minutes to fully charge. That's a bit of a game changer for an all day vape mod.
WP_20190509_20_17_43_Pro.jpg

This is a cracker of a little mod and the colours that are being released look great. Mrs kid took this little fella for a test drive and has already made me order her one which is a huge honour for any mod.
If your looking for a responsive, fast charging pocket rocket for all day use then this is for you.

You can grab yourself one direct from eleaf or your favourite vendor.
Here is the eleaf link.
https://www.eleafworld.com/online/new-arrival/eleaf-istick-rim-with-melo-5.html
A huge thank you to Eleaf for allowing me to try this little beauty.

Last edited:
After spending a little more time and getting the excellent 0.6ohm stainless mesh coil going I should add to the review that for once the coils wattage is advertised correctly and this little coil will vape all day long at 30w if you like a warm vape.
Also, more importantly. Even in wattage this mod has a dry hit prevention feature. It can't completely stop you from being an idiot but it definitely throttles the power back if the cotton is getting dry. Another positive that will keep your coils going longer.
Well done Eleaf.
Thanks again @Holy Guo for the chance. Really enjoyed using this.
I shall pop this into a big box for this year's POTV charity raffle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom