What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Dovpo Nickel

nwhornet

Legend
Dovpo Knickel 230w mod

*This was provided by Dovpo for review but these are my thoughts & conclusions based on my experiences. I have no affiliation to either POTV or any vendors*

Established in 2006, Shenzhen DOVPO Technology Co., Ltd is a professional company specializing in R&D, manufacturing, marketing and service of electronic cigarettes. This is the company behind the well regarded Topside/Duo & Basium squonkers & here they present a regulated mod for the non squonker.

In the box

IMG_20190321_220840.jpg

Comes well packaged with an understandable manual, QC & battery safety card & the USB lead.

Description

This is a 2 cell (18650) 230W mod with a 0.96” colour screen, TC (Ni,Ti,SS & TCR), Power (Soft, Normal, Hard & User). Fire button, up/down buttons & USB port for updating & charging (5V/2A). In the box is a User manual (surprisingly easy to understand), battery safety card (good idea) & a QC certificate as well as a USB flat ribbon lead. A quick warning when first fitting batteries this mod defaulted to 230W so watch that first pull. The inside of the battery compartment has + & - embossed but would be better if they were highlighted as not the easiest to see in less than ideal light. The mod itself is a hefty weight & feels solidly built, no button or door rattle. The battery door is a nice snug fit & held in place with decent batteries. In use I had no movement at all with the door but the function buttons are quite noisy but at least you know you’ve pressed it. 5 clicks of the fire button will turn the mod to soft off & “+” & “-“ together will lock the fire button. The rest of the functions are well explained in the manual & allow power curve to be set in Watts & Preheat/TCR values to be set in Temp mode.
IMG_20190321_220918.jpg

In Use

In use I found this a very capable mod. Battery life was pretty good, getting nearly a full day at around 65w with battery cut off around 3.2v, not as good as my DNA devices but I have the cutoff set to around 2.8v so not unexpected. Regarding the TC I found varying results from the set ups I tried. I stuck in the NiFe30 TCR values but no amount of tweaking could get a consistent vape. This was using my standard set up of Aromamizer, dual coil 0.13ohm I run daily on DNA mods. Using dual coil SS316 Fused Claptons at around 0.33ohm performed much more consistently giving a nice smooth vape. Strangely though, a single coil 0.35ohm build really misbehaved. It would hit temp very quickly but you could feel the power kicking in & out causing a hol/cold/hot vape. I put the tank on a DNA & set preheat & temp the same & no issues. Still not sure why this mod seemed to struggle but given more time I would have tried other builds to rule out user error & also see if I could have sorted the NiFe30 out.

upload_2019-4-28_10-46-13.png

Pros

Pros for this mod are it’s very well built, no door rattles (see Voopoo, it can be done), easy to use menu system & decent battery life. Paint finish has shown no scratches or chips & the resin door feels comfortable.

Cons

Only real cons would be the TC vagaries but given more time I’m sure it would be more than workable

The Dovpo Nickel is a good solid mod, maybe a bit too Drag looking for me personally. Available from Vaping101 for £38 but worth looking around as have seen it around £33.

This will be given away to a lucky ape so keep an eye on the Comps section.

Nice one mate. Yeah does have the Drag look going on doesn't it. The new Eleaf Mix thing, more rounded edges, has a similar shape as well.
Good there's no door rattles, there's really no excuse these days for mods that do.
Cool, cheers mate. :thumbup:

Nice review.

My first impression was that it looks like the voopo drag and after reading the review I see you also mention that.

Going to put my name in for comp as I like the look of this device

Very nice review. To be honest it do look better than the drag.
but what I really didn't like is the nickel word on the side. the font and the finishing is so bad.
beside than that it's a great looking mod

Great reveiw.

Very drag like but no rattle [emoji33] how can that be possible
It wasn't made by Voopoo, simples :D. It's a really good mod but I have more DNAs than you can shake a stick at so rare for a mod to really pull me in, although I have been seduced by the X217 (more the fact it was cheap :)2).

It wasn't made by Voopoo, simples :D. It's a really good mod but I have more DNAs than you can shake a stick at so rare for a mod to really pull me in, although I have been seduced by the X217 (more the fact it was cheap :)2).
I do love my x217 one if my top 3

Back
Top Bottom