What's new

Sub Ohm Wotofo 'The Troll X'.

Astral

Achiever

Wotofo ‘The Troll X’ RTA.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Healthcabin and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

IMG_20210602_153959.jpg

The term 'Troll' has meant many different things over the years.

It started out as a fictional race of little people that shied away from human contact or taxed them to cross bridges as in ‘The Three little Billy Goats Gruff’.

In the 90’s, Trolls became a fad of crazily haired children's dolls that swept the nation by storm - I had an army cadet one with orange hair for what it’s worth.

Today it generally refers to an unpleasant social media user who seems unable to derive any pleasure from life if not for denigrating and upsetting others.

So it’s with these in mind I wondered what Wotofo are trying to tell us by calling their latest RTA offering the 'Troll'.

Is it to scare us? To tell us it’s not fit for human encounter? Or that it’s a faddy item that we'll all quickly move on from in due course?

Fortunately I don’t think it’s any of these.

When the Troll X turned up on my doorstep, I was pleasantly surprised.

It was nicely presented in its usual classy green Wotofo boxing and came with a decent array of peripherals like the two framed staple clapton coils, spare 4.4ml bubble glass, honeycomb air-flow insert, cotton strips, tooling and instruction booklet all included.

IMG_20210602_140727.jpg

Everything was there packaged in it’s sturdy surround, sitting 36mm tall and 24mm wide wearing its 3ml straight glass form ready for me to pick up and peruse.

Once I did I found it to be an attractive bottom fed outfit with an 810 drip tip and a nicely weighted slide fill top cap.

IMG_20210602_152437.jpg

Upon inspection, the whole thing disassembled very intuitively and the build rails were nicely set up with simple hex headed dual-coil clamps, and sufficient space for a duo of wraps above a central channel housing it's removable slide-out air flow inserts.

Conveniently these inserts can also be changed when both coils are in place so there’s no faffing about if you subsequently want to tighten or loosen your draw once you’ve already built it.

IMG_20210602_144155.jpg

IMG_20210602_143842.jpg

It was also striking how varied the air-flow is. It went much tighter than I expected and ran from the anticipated DTL to a medium RDL.

This was even better once I installed the spare honeycombed insert and was a gloriously smooth draw at all weights.

IMG_20210602_152247.jpg

As soon as the deck was wicked up and I took my first few dry hits I could already tell that the honeycomb insert was going to be super special and provide a smooth and proficient draw.

I wasn’t wrong.

It was a beautifully fed and whistle free experience, that provided a clear and turbulence free draw, flowing churnlessly all the way up through the anodised bellhousing to my baited lips.

After a little adjustment to the five hole air-flow adjustment ring I had no problems with this at all.

The grooved insert was a little too airy for my tastes but it may be much more suited to yours than mine.

I can’t see that you’d have any more more problems with it than I had with the honeycomb and expect you’d love it every bit as much.

Wicking the deck was no problem either.

Everything was extremely intuitive, both for single coil and dual coil set-ups.

The whole postless build deck felt surprisingly large for a 24mm atty and all the parts were chunky and tactile. No superhuman feats of tactility or eyesight were needed here. It all went together with relative ease and the hex-headed screws gripped the coils with no trouble at all. Even the cotton receptacles down the sides were large and wide enough to receive the copious amounts of the fluffy stuff needed for wicking the two large NI80 0.33ohm coils with ease.

All in all, wicking it was a doddle.

Reassembly was no harder.

After priming the cotton with generous amounts of e-liquid, the glass and bell housing slotted over the freshly built deck effortlessly and the glass and bellhousing screwed efficiently into place with no hint of cross threading whatsoever.

The hardest decision I faced was what mod to try it on first. Frankly, it would’ve looked good on all of them.

As it’s a standard 510 it would’ve been no trouble fitting it to any of them, including my mechs, but I opted for a nice simple regulated mod for my first outing instead, just to be on the safe side.

It turned out there was no need, it all went effortlessly and even at 80-odd watts the Troll X was barely even approaching the limits of what it could do - but by this point it was well past the limits of what I could do and I had to turn it down a bit.

This was no problem at all either.

Thankfully the Troll X was just as flavoursome at lower wattages as it was at higher.

I certainly got plenty of enjoyment out of my juice at lower levels and never felt the need to push it too high to get the full effects, not that my lungs could’ve coped anymore if I had!

Looks wise, I found the Troll X pretty satisfying too. With its grippy knurling top and bottom, and its engraved logoing on its inner bellhousing it certainly looked the part - and with its choice of six anodised colour schemes - black, blue, gunmetal, gold, stainless steel and rainbow you shouldn’t have too much trouble matching one to your favorite mod.

Wotofo have clearly gone out to make this look a little scarily intimidating in the vein of the Scandinavian legend, but to be honest, in use it’s no more scary than one of the 90’s inspired dolls that I was more used to.

To be honest I was more inclined to give it a cuddle than run for the hills.

After a recent series of successes for Wotofo I can see this being another for them and I imagine they’ll have another hit on their hands.

The Troll X will sit nicely in their range of attys and prove a nice 24mm option for anyone looking for a solid DTL device that’s not too large.

As a reluctant and uncomfortable DTLer myself, I managed to use this without trouble so regular users should have no problems at all.

If you want one you can get one from @Healthcabin for £25.32 here and you can get 30% off for logging in and an even further 10% off for being a new customer.

https://www.healthcabin.net/wotofo-the-troll-x-rta-p/26403.html

Good review mate was just looking at these so I think I’ll pick one up thanks

Nice review.

May try one when I finally try to build my own coils.

What a brilliant review @Astral

I like the look of that. Wotofo hit it out of the park again by the sounds of it.

Might have to put it on my list.

Nice review @Astral. Bit of back ground to the Troll name. Wotofo used it on one of the earliest RDA's they released, circa 2015, followed by the RTA. They had a good following back in the day. The Troll X is definitely a flavour lovers tank. Only let down is the silicon juice port, prone to ripping if using larger nozzled bottles. I have 2 & really enjoy them.

Good review mate was just looking at these so I think I’ll pick one up thanks

Lol. I'll have to start charging comission at this rate.

Enjoy it my friend.

Nice review.

May try one when I finally try to build my own coils.

Building's a lot of fun, it looks harder than it is. I picked it up quite quickly and really enjoy it. Experimenting with all the wires and wraps is half the fun of it now.

What a brilliant review @Astral

I like the look of that. Wotofo hit it out of the park again by the sounds of it.

Might have to put it on my list.

Thanks for your kindness @Puffed Daddy, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was surprised by the quality of the Troll too. Even as an MTLer I found something in it for me. It's far more versatile than I expected.

Enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom