What's new

Sub Ohm Wotofo Gear V2 RTA

Gitchy

Achiever
Lilia from @Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor do I get paid to review things.

PXL_20220220_160412894.jpg

The Wotofo Gear V2 RTA

https://www.sourcemore.com/wotofo-gear-v2-rta.html

I also got the usual code to make it a little cheaper and this one brings the RTA down to $21.59 and it is GV2R.

The Gear V2 is a single coil RTA. It has a fixed airflow and a plastic top cap that doesn’t let you change out the drip tip. The whole top part is made from mainly PCTG plastic but the base, chimney and deck are metal. There are 2 screws for the posts that mean you have to put the coil in wound a certain way. This might sound quite unappealing but it’s actually a good RTA in use.

In the box you get:
1 Wotofo Gear V2 RTA
2 Framed Staple Clapton Coil 0.33Ω
2 3mm Thick Cotton Strip
1 Screwdriver
1 Accessory Bag
1 User Manual

The design of this tank was not for me at first. I noticed the top half is almost completely plastic and the top cap is all in one so there’s no way to switch out the drip tip. The bumpf on the Wotofo website explains that the top cap is all in one to make it closer to the deck and produce better flavour. That does seem to be true as the whole RTA is very compact and dripper like. Another thing about the top cap is that there are metal threads in it that join to the chimney so it is going to last longer than if it was purely plastic, suggesting to me that it was indeed a design choice and not a money saving thing for the manufacturer. The main glass/plastic body is kind of corrugated inside, I hate it. It’s like the old door windows my granny had in the 80s. Just not my type of look at all but it doesn’t affect the vape so it’s not an issue. The base is more traditional with 2 post screws to fit the coil. It means you have to have the coil wound a certain way but I can live with that as well, I have several RTAs that are the same. There is a little wall at the end of each post where you can fit the coil in easily enough and screw down. Finally the other big issue at first for me is that there is no airflow control on this RTA. Again reading the bumpf on the Wotofo site tells you that the engineers have optimised the airflow so you don’t have to. I don’t like being told what to do but it actually is quite a nice airflow so maybe the engineers were right.

PXL_20220208_161322612.jpg

In use the looks and changes are forgotten. It really is quite a nice vape. The short design lends itself to really good flavour and justifies the use of the plastic top cap. I started off with my usual Ni80 2.5mm 0.3ohm Alien V2 coils as that’s what I use in most of my RTAs and I did notice the flavour straight away. There’s a good blast of vapour from it too. It was a bit gurgly with that coil though so I switched to a 3mm Ni80 fused clapton that came out at 0.27 ohms when fitted. The increased cotton fixed the gurgling so I’d go with a 3mm coil to fill out the generous cotton holes. It’s also easy to wick, no faff, just fire it in and off you go.

Finally I used a simple round Ni80 24awg coil in the tank. It worked really well at about 0.45 ohms with 6 wraps. This is where the airflow was most noticeable. It is a really smooth airflow with very little turbulence (I hate using that word but it fits). It’s open but slightly restricted, which fits a single coil tank. I personally would like it a little more restricted so I’m back to being a little miffed at being told what to do but the vapour and flavour the whole set up delivers kind of makes up for it.

Overall the Gear 2 is a decent little RTA. It’s easy to build on and easy to wick. It’s got bags of flavour and the vapour production is good thanks to the overall design, but I do not like that I can’t adjust the airflow. From my first impressions there was a big swing in how much I liked the tank. It is a really nice vape but they’ve gone that tiny bit too much with removing the airflow ring for me. I also prefer a longer chimney so I can take a longer draw, that's just me though and I know the shorter ones do give better flavour so if you're into flavour from a single coiler then this may be for you.

PXL_20220220_160519905.jpg

Good review bud.. It looks like a jam jar with a drip tip on ;)

That does look compact, suprised to see its 3.5ml was expecting 2ml from the pic.

I don't like the sound of set up for 'optimal airflow' and the fixed drip tip kills it for me.

Pity, I really liked the original. (except for the drip tip which I lobbed)

Great review as always. Certainly not my cup of tea but WOTOFO should be commended for doing something different

I don't like the sound of set up for 'optimal airflow' and the fixed drip tip kills it for me.

Pity, I really liked the original. (except for the drip tip which I lobbed)

Yeah that killed it for me too on first impression. Good vape though so worth a shot if you like single coilers.

Yeah that killed it for me too on first impression. Good vape though so worth a shot if you like single coilers.

I can live with the looks, but I don't get on with (my interpretation of) open airflow - almost all of my tanks are closed down to about halfway and I tend to change all 810 drip tips to the one used on the original Recurve (810 sized but narrower bore) and to 510 with some. The airflow of the original was OK fully open with a large 3mm i'd' 0.2 ohm coil at 50 Watts but I'd reduce that one quite a bit if I used a smaller higher ohm coil and lower wattage. I need quite a bit of restriction to get a satisfying vape - I'm just too wary of anything that can't be adjusted. What some consider slightly restricted, I feel you can drive a bus through it.

Perversely I don't get on with a tight MTL vape lol..

I can live with the looks, but I don't get on with (my interpretation of) open airflow - almost all of my tanks are closed down to about halfway and I tend to change all 810 drip tips to the one used on the original Recurve (810 sized but narrower bore) and to 510 with some. The airflow of the original was OK fully open with a large 3mm i'd' 0.2 ohm coil at 50 Watts but I'd reduce that one quite a bit if I used a smaller higher ohm coil and lower wattage. I need quite a bit of restriction to get a satisfying vape - I'm just too wary of anything that can't be adjusted. What some consider slightly restricted, I feel you can drive a bus through it.

Perversely I don't get on with a tight MTL vape lol..

Yeah I definitely get you there mate. I've only recently preferred a bit more of an open draw myself since getting into mesh RTAs. Used to like most attys closed by about a third but use most of mine fully open these days.

The gear 2 is pretty much what I like now, compared to a couple of months ago where I preferred a bit more restriction. Wouldn't say you could drive a bus through it but it does sound like it'd be too airy for your tastes.

Back
Top Bottom