What's new

Sub Ohm Wotofo’s TROLL X RTA

Squidgy

Achiever
Introduction to Wotofo’s TROLL X RTA

Firstly, I would like to thank Sue @Healthcabin for providing me with the opportunity to review this item.

Secondly, for my obligatory disclaimer… The hardware was supplied to me free of charge for review purposes. I have no affiliation to Healthcabin or Wotofo. I do not receive payment for my reviews and what follows are my own opinions based on my own experience.

Box.jpg

“TROLL”

A Troll is an ugly creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf. Well I certainly don’t think this is an ugly creation, in fact I think it’s quite a good looking tank as tanks go. The knurling on the top cap, chamber and airflow control is very well machined and provides a comfortable, reliable grip where needed. The logo is a bit “meh”, but it’s not obtrusive or that noticeable. It’s relatively sleek even with the bubble on it. It’s certainly no giant, but it’s no dwarf either. This is the second “TROLL” released by Wotofo from the outside you can see similarities, but the inside has had a total overhaul and bears no resemblance to its predecessor what so ever.

So why not the “Troll II RTA”, why the “X”. This is where Wotofo are making a giant statement. The “X” doesn’t refer to the number of models or attempts in getting to this point, Wotofo are stating that this RTA produces 10 times better flavour. I know flavour is totally subjective and all that, but to me, as a flavour chaser, it’s rather a bold statement to make, if it doesn’t live up to its claims, it can only lead to disappointment.

Logo & StF mark.jpg

Features

· Height - 36mm (without drip tip & 510 pin)
· Diameter – 24mm at base
· Drip Tip – 810 resin drip tip
· Straight Tank (TDP/UK Edition) – 2ml
· Straight Tank (Standard Edition) – 3ml
· Bubble Tank (Included) – 4.4ml allegedly
· Filling Method: Top “Slide to fill”
· Airflow – Bottom
· Coil Type – Single/Dual Wire Coils
· Treading – 510 thread

In The Box

Within Wotofo’s usual style of packaging the following contents are found.

• TROLL X RTA fitted with the straight tank & slotted airflow
• Bubble Tank
• 2 x Framed Staple Mi80 coils (0.33 Ω each)
• 2 x 3mm Cotton Laces
• Honeycomb Airflow Insert
• Coil Trimming Tool
• Phillips Screwdriver (Crosshead)
• Allen Key (Hex key)
• Set of seals and grub screws
• User Manual

Contents.jpg

Colours

Colours.jpg

Features

Breakdown.jpg

Inflow.jpg

Air Mode.jpg

Air Mode 2.jpg

Air Flow.jpg

Postless.jpg

Refill.jpg

Initial thoughts

Where do I start? Well probably best off to start at the beginning and lead you onto the big crescendo as to Wotofo’s claim.

Glasses, or lack thereof, both the straight and bubble tanks are plastic. See! Even that feels wrong “bubble tank”, you can’t call it a bubble glass cause it isn’t. I’m not sure if it’s psychological or it’s just the lack of weight but to me the whole RTA lacks that quality weighty feel to it. Would a glass help, maybe, maybe not?

“Slide to fill” and I can already picture the majority of you sigh. I admit, I’m not a big fan of “slide to fill” either and much prefer the bayonet ¼ turn top fill. To make matters worse it has one of those flappy rubber seals where you have to push the juice nozzle through before you fill. This is ok for 10ml bottles or unicorn bottles with thin nozzles, but absolutely useless when it comes to the 250ml bottles that I normally use. Fortunately I had recently purchased a 50p unicorn bottle on a recent purchase to get up to free delivery, so for a change, fate had been on my side.

Slide & Fill.jpg

One last gripe, I promise! Wotofo state that the bubble tank increases the capacity to 4.4ml. I believe that this is somewhat over optimistic and may well have been measured by a male, ex subway employee that claimed he had a foot long. I’ve used this tank a lot over the past 17 days or so, pretty much nonstop to be honest. Each time I’ve cleaned it, modified or rebuilt, I’ve measured the amount of juice I can fit in using a 5ml syringe , a total of 4 times, mainly due to the fact I doubted myself because it fell a fair bit short of the “foot long” claim. Any more than 3.2ml and it will overflow all over the place, trust me, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. It overflows sneakily too, when you slide the top cap open it reveals a breathing hole at the bottom of the drip tip, this allows air to escape when you refill but once full it allows juice to flow into the top of the chamber and/or down the side of the tank.

That’s it! All my gripes over and done with, everything is positive from now on…

Complete Set.jpg

My first build was a single 5 wrap 3mm SS316L flattened Clapton coming in at 0.31Ω, this is my normal go to coil that has provided great results in my other single coil tanks, so it would give me a good reference on what I would expect. I fitted the honeycomb insert just because I fancied giving it a go to provide a smooth restricted intake. I found both inserts easy to remove and refit with or without a build already in place. Wicking was snug through the coil, lightly fluffed, very lightly combed with the edges trimmed into a V. The wicking ports are a reasonable size ideally suited for this type of wicking style. I’ll leave my verdict on how this build performed later, but I’ll use this opportunity to let you know that the honeycomb insert wasn’t overly restrictive, in fact I was running this with the AFC restricted down to 6 holes out of the 15 and even then I would say it was a smidge looser than the Blotto wide open.

Inserts.jpg Deck Honey.jpg New Single Coil Side.jpg New Single Coil.jpg New Single Wick.jpg New Single Trimmed.jpg
New Single Wicked Side.jpg
New Single Dry.jpg New Single Wet.jpg

After 4 days using the above build I swapped the Insert over to the slotted version and with the AFC wide open, this provides a very airy vape, if that’s your thing, then yeah, this works, but for me personally with a single coil it’s definitely the honeycomb insert for me. I did notice when changing the insert the wicking was surprisingly clean, especially when considering I was using this heavily for 4 days. It was that clean I had to take a pic to share. For anyone interested I had been using Drip Hacks Massive Melons 3mg 70/30 and had gone through about 120mls.

Used Single.jpg Used Wick.jpg

My next build was a dual version of the above, back to the honeycomb insert, same coils, only difference being a little extra trimming was required to the wick tails so it wasn’t overly snug in the ports. I found with the dual build I got the same restrictive vape as the single but with the AFC wide open.

New Dual Coil End.jpg New Dual Coil Side.jpg New Dual Coil.jpg New Dual Trimmed.jpg New Dual Tucked End.jpg New Dual Tucked.jpg
New Dual Wet.jpg

The next obvious step was to swap the insert over to the slotted version, using the same build, untouched, I closed the AFC down to 9 holes, which again worked great for me, but it wasn’t too long before I went back to the honeycomb insert. I just love the way this thing vapes with both single and dual builds.

Now to verify or reject Wotofo’s big 10 times the flavour claim. As much as I don’t like this RTA for its top fill, plastic tank and small capacity, the flavour this thing chucks out is outrageous, Wotofo have certainly hit the mark with this one.

Flavour.jpg

I would like to add that I’m not a fan of the stereo typical YouTube reviewers that bleat on about this widget is the best whatever ever and you’d be a fool not to rush out and get a dozen of them yesterday. In fact when curiosity gets the better of me and I find myself entering doom tube to have a gander, it’s done so with the volume off. Anyway back to the point, in my humble opinion, the Troll X RTA provides the most flavourful vape, compared to anything else I have used so far, AND YOU’D BE ABSOLUTLY STARK RAVING BONKERS IF YOU DON’T RUSH OUT AND GET ONE NOW!!!

Joking aside, I find the flavour on this thing absolutely superb and I’ll agree with Wotofo to a point. Not sure on the 10 times the flavour, I mean, compared to what? It’s a strange statement to make and can’t be taken literally. I’ve deliberated over what I should rank the flavour as on this for a fair bit. Do I go all out and give it a 10/10 which I think it deserves, or maybe a 9.5/10 just in case something better comes along in the future?

On another note, two wrongs don’t make a right! But in this case maybe it does. As pointed out previously the bubble tank falls somewhat short in the capacity stakes and as a result I was refilling a lot more frequently. With an appropriate unicorn bottle, refilling with the “Slide to fill” cap was piss easy and can be done on the fly. Would be a little fiddlier with a refill cap that totally removes if you have nowhere to put it whilst refilling. So in this case I think the “Slide to fill” cap is justified, but only because of the capacity shortfall. I will add at this point that the “Slide to Fill” cap has sufficient resistance to slide open, I’ve dumped my vape setup in my pocket on a number of occasions and I’ve never experienced the cap inadvertently opening.

Just for clarity, I’ve not only run this RTA on Massive Melons, I’ve taken my time to run it through its paces, during which I’ve also enjoyed Jam Scones & Cream, Coffee Cream Biscuit, Rhubarb n Custard and Grape Slush. I’ve also used different coil types, none have performed as well as the flattened Clapton, but I’ve also found that with other tanks anyway.

Cons

Cheap Plastic Tanks – The RTA as a whole is light weight which denies it of that quality feel.
Lack of Capacity – 3.2ml actual bubble tank capacity, not 4.4ml.
Fill Port to Small – No chance filling this with a large nozzle.

Pros

Flavour
Easy build deck, Single and Dual builds
Flavour in single coil mode
Forgiving Wicking
Flavour in dual coil mode
Very Airy with the AFC wide open with the slotted insert, Huge Clouds
Good Flavour through the AFC range
Smooth restrictive draw, with the honeycomb insert.
Did I mention FLAVOUR?

Rankings

Build Quality – 6/10 (This would improve with a decent bubble glass)
Usability – 9/10
Performance – 9/10
Flavour (Single/Dual) – 10/10
Clouds – 9/10
Value for money – 10/10

Overall – 8.8/10

Vape Style – RDTL/DTL

Conclusion

I think I’ve made my thoughts clear enough with regards to how this RTA performs on the flavour front, nothing else I’ve tried so far beats it. Wotofo could make some minor modifications that could make this great tank a tantalising tank. Simply increasing the capacity of the bubble glass to around 7.5ml so actually 5ml according to “Foot Long” and putting a ¼ turn bayonet cap on it with some descent sized fill ports.

If you can get past the fact that you will be refilling it a lot more often via a “slide to Fill” then I would strongly recommend you give this tank a chance. I can definitely live with it myself and I will be purchasing another, but possibly something other than Rainbow.

A big thanks again to Sue @Healthcabin for sending the TROLL X RTA to me for review, I dare say if it wasn’t for this review, this tank would have likely passed me by. In return, it’s only right that I remind you that the TROLL X RTA is available from Healthcabin at £27.57 ($37.95) but to view their best price of £16.39 ($22.56) you need to sign up and log in.

Links

TROLL X RTA

Last edited:
Cracking review mate and a few lols along the way. I reckon they looked at Microsoft's naming convention for the Xbox and thought it was a good idea.

Great review mate, I really enjoyed reading that.

As for rushing out and buying one... I do really want one for the flavour but just can't bring myself to commit to a purchase as it suffers exactly the same cons as the Profile M - plastic "glass", low capacity and that God-awful slide topcap/fill port/leak breathe hole.

The Troll logo is in reference this btw ;)

Nice review mate. Sigh, another tank I just have to buy.

I like the idea of the single coil configuration. Can I ask where you get your flattened clapton wire or coils?

I reckon they looked at Microsoft's naming convention for the Xbox and thought it was a good idea.

You got me thinking now, maybe they should of gone with 3 X's would have got a lot more internet hits that way :D

The Troll logo is in reference this btw ;)

Even more confused by the reasoning behind the name now :doh:

Can I ask where you get your flattened clapton wire or coils?

Use to buy it from the Crazy Wire Company, but last batch I bought was SS316L Flapton which was just as good, from No1 Ejuice, very reasonably priced ;)

Thank you all for the great feedback, you are most kind :worship:

Finally nailed this tank in single coil mode. Dropping the leg length to 6.5mm for a single coil has made a big difference to the flavour for me. Used a 3mm diameter flapton Ni90 coil with about 5 wraps and it's coming out at 0.28ohms. Defintely amazing flavour for a single coil RTA.

Was that also the fist time you used flapton in it, that also makes a significant improvement :2thumbsup:

Was that also the fist time you used flapton in it, that also makes a significant improvement :2thumbsup:

It was. I'd been using it double coiled with fused clapton before. I don't really get on with flapton though as I'm quite cack handed at winding coils. Always seem to get a lot of popping with the flapton personally, just need to take more care I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom